Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
When this happens on AM for partner metal, AM prepares broomstick, KY Jelly and prepares to shove Refund Law so far up your behind your refund will appear from your nostrils.

So when this happens on partner FFP for CX, I'll be a little miffed if they'd open up redemption seats for you. This will be really shoving it to its own members.
Thanks for letting me know how it works on AM (Asia Miles I'm assuming?). Not familiar with their FM program so this was good information.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I don't know. But, based on my understanding of the way award tickets work in general, CX should allow you to change your broken outbound itinerary (because they broke it) within reason ( a day or two keeping on their metal ). I am not sure if they would extend this courtesy to a separate reservation (your return) but it can't hurt to ask. If it were on the same ticket I would think you would stand a better chance of them being willing to fix the return but on separate tickets, who knows? Once CX fixes your reservation(s) on their end you will need call AS to reticket/revalidate and so long as it is a CX instituted change AS should not charge for this.
Thank you, your response helped calm me a little. I know this is totally a first world problem but it just sucks having to change plans 3 months before the trip when I thought everything was settled 10 months before. I will hope for the best that CX will be accommodating. Thanks for letting me know the usual process of award ticket changes/cancellations and to contact AS to reticket/revalidate.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I don't know. But, based on my understanding of the way award tickets work in general, CX should allow you to change your broken outbound itinerary (because they broke it) within reason ( a day or two keeping on their metal ). I am not sure if they would extend this courtesy to a separate reservation (your return) but it can't hurt to ask. If it were on the same ticket I would think you would stand a better chance of them being willing to fix the return but on separate tickets, who knows? Once CX fixes your reservation(s) on their end you will need call AS to reticket/revalidate and so long as it is a CX instituted change AS should not charge for this.
CX will allow to change to any other available redemption flight, free of charge. Let me know if they open revenue availability to fix this so I can report them to Oriental Daily.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Tips for getting a good agent to help book CX tickets:
1. Most agents in Boise know what they’re doing and have been the most helpful in my opinion
2. If they ask for your name and then thank you for your loyalty as an MVP/Gold/75K they’ve been around the block and are usually intelligent at booking award tickets
3. Agents in Phoenix usually are the worst in my experience. If you get someone from there and they don’t thank you for your loyalty it’s more than likely a new agent, or someone who transferred from VX so don’t expect a great result. HUCA if they’re not being helpful.
4. If you have to tell the agent to break up segments individually to find space, and they don’t know to do this already, you might want to consider HUCA.
5. Make sure you’re calling the partner desk. The MVP line can be good and bad and usually they have to transfer you to the partner desk anyway. The direct number is .1 (888) 280-7560‬

Just to add if BA and QF are showing space, and the AS agent can’t see ANY open seats, HUCA several times until you are absolutely positive the space isn’t being released to AS.
Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
CX will allow to change to any other available redemption flight, free of charge. Let me know if they open revenue availability to fix this so I can report them to Oriental Daily.
That's a great gesture, giving them a positive mention for taking for taking care of their customers!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Tips for getting a good agent to help book CX tickets:
1. Most agents in Boise know what they’re doing and have been the most helpful in my opinion
2. If they ask for your name and then thank you for your loyalty as an MVP/Gold/75K they’ve been around the block and are usually intelligent at booking award tickets
3. Agents in Phoenix usually are the worst in my experience. If you get someone from there and they don’t thank you for your loyalty it’s more than likely a new agent, or someone who transferred from VX so don’t expect a great result. HUCA if they’re not being helpful.
4. If you have to tell the agent to break up segments individually to find space, and they don’t know to do this already, you might want to consider HUCA.
5. Make sure you’re calling the partner desk. The MVP line can be good and bad and usually they have to transfer you to the partner desk anyway. The direct number is .1 (888) 280-7560‬

Just to add if BA and QF are showing space, and the AS agent can’t see ANY open seats, HUCA several times until you are absolutely positive the space isn’t being released to AS.
What a coincidence to see this. Had a graveyard shift Phoenix agent insist on ticketing the long (USA-HKG) leg in F even though I had said there was another leg to add to complete a one-way itinerary @ 70,000 miles. She was so flummoxed by the need (she thought) to cxl the long leg to add the second leg, she actually suggested that I just burn an extra 30,000 miles to avoid the risk of losing my trans-Pacific seat. I ended up telling her to leave the ticket alone and I would deal with it later. Forward to the next day, got a Boise agent who re-issued the ticket with both legs in about five minutes. I didn't ask for "the partner desk," which may or may not still exist, but I did ask upfront whether the second agent had booked a lot of CX redemptions. She said she had which was clearly the case. I do not recall nor do I think it matters (either to me or the agent's level of experience) if I was thanked for my loyalty. India 2020, here I come...as long as I can get my return booked in a couple weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:31 pm

That's a great gesture, giving them a positive mention for taking for taking care of their customers!
What's the difference between this and cancelling the broken redemption and reissuing?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:29 am

What's the difference between this and cancelling the broken redemption and reissuing?
Once a booking is cancelled all award space may disappear including segments that were not affected. It is usually much better to retain award space on existing segments in an existing ticket and fix only the broken segment than it is to release all the award space and hope to get it all back plus fix the broken segment. CX cannot create a new AS ticket. They can modify their flights inside an existing AS booking and then AS can revalidate the ticket. AS cannot open new award space on CX to fix a booking broken by a CX cancellation but CX can.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:06 am

Once a booking is cancelled all award space may disappear including segments that were not affected. It is usually much better to retain award space on existing segments in an existing ticket and fix only the broken segment than it is to release all the award space and hope to get it all back plus fix the broken segment. CX cannot create a new AS ticket. They can modify their flights inside an existing AS booking and then AS can revalidate the ticket.
OK, I agree up to this point.
Mileage Plan has to reissue within CX ticketing deadline.

AS cannot open new award space on CX to fix a booking broken by a CX cancellation but CX can.
I do not believe CX does this. Not for BAEC or QF FF. If they do this for Mileage Plan, I'll eat my shoe.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: NZ
I do not believe CX does this. Not for BAEC or QF FF. If they do this for Mileage Plan, I'll eat my shoe.
If CX award space is available to AS on the new flight required, then AS can book it and reissue the ticket. However if there is no award space then it is up to CX to offer a remedy to the problem they have caused. I would however start by talking to AS as in effect they are the agent for CX and should liaise with them to resolve the problem. The pax should not be required to call CX themselves, but at the end of the day that may be necessary, but don't be surprised if they say that you need to go back to AS.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
If CX award space is available to AS on the new flight required, then AS can book it and reissue the ticket. However if there is no award space then it is up to CX to offer a remedy to the problem they have caused. I would however start by talking to AS as in effect they are the agent for CX and should liaise with them to resolve the problem. The pax should not be required to call CX themselves, but at the end of the day that may be necessary, but don't be surprised if they say that you need to go back to AS.
Thank you @minz56. The first thing I did when I received the email from Alaska about the flight cancellation was call them (Alaska). I am waiting for a call back from them/their CX liaison regarding a resolution.

Once a booking is cancelled all award space may disappear including segments that were not affected. It is usually much better to retain award space on existing segments in an existing ticket and fix only the broken segment than it is to release all the award space and hope to get it all back plus fix the broken segment. CX cannot create a new AS ticket. They can modify their flights inside an existing AS booking and then AS can revalidate the ticket. AS cannot open new award space on CX to fix a booking broken by a CX cancellation but CX can.
Thanks again @skimthetrees for the helpful information you provided.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:25 pm

OK, I agree up to this point.
Mileage Plan has to reissue within CX ticketing deadline.

Frontline agents probably do not do it but there should be a designated special liaison between programs that can fix issues like this. For BA or QF there should be a One World Liaison that can contact their counterpart in CX to work through the issue. AS, not being part of One World may have a different Liaison but there should be someone in that capacity who is empowered to deal with situations like this. At least that is my understanding based on reports I have read.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:31 pm

Frontline agents probably do not do it but there should be a designated special liaison between programs that can fix issues like this. For BA or QF there should be a One World Liaison that can contact their counterpart in CX to work through the issue. AS, not being part of One World may have a different Liaison but there should be someone in that capacity who is empowered to deal with situations like this. At least that is my understanding based on reports I have read.
At least two examples where liaisons failed to be fairy godmothers (there's a third involving CX and MH on AAdvantage but I can't find it)(that case did not involve liaison)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25110950-post1.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24671201-post807.html

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 26, 2019 at 12:42 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:17 am

At least two examples where liaisons failed to be fairy godmothers (there's a third involving CX and MH on AAdvantage but I can't find it).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25110950-post1.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24671201-post807.html
Didn't your issue (the first link) get resolved? And in your post you state "contact a supervisor and have them contact the liaison" which seems counter to your point that liaisons can't be fairy godmothers. Second link you posted is closer to what I am facing but still not exactly my situation as OP's original flight still exists. In case I didn't make it clear when I asked for comments/suggestions/advice, the second segment to my married ticketed flight (unlike the situation you linked to in your linked post above) is completely cancelled and got rescheduled to a day earlier. There are no other flights out to MLE that day and the next flight is not till 3 days later. I am ticketed to fly into HKG hours after the MLE flight departs.

I will post a resolution when I get it, hopefully in the next couple days. Thanks again @skimthetrees and @minz56 for the helpful information you guys have provided.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Didn't your issue (the first link) get resolved? And in your post you state "contact a supervisor and have them contact the liaison" which seems counter to your point that liaisons can't be fairy godmothers. Second link you posted is closer to what I am facing but still not exactly my situation as OP's original flight still exists. In case I didn't make it clear when I asked for comments/suggestions/advice, the second segment to my married ticketed flight (unlike the situation you linked to in your linked post above) is completely cancelled and got rescheduled to a day earlier. There are no other flights out to MLE that day and the next flight is not till 3 days later. I am ticketed to fly into HKG hours after the MLE flight departs.
No, QR opened new space - not in response to my request, on a different day and a different routing, and I snatched that. No thanks to them.

Mine was married too - original HKG-xDOH-xGRU-oAEP (HKG-xDOH-xGRU-oEZE was "star-crossed")
I was left in limbo for under three weeks after my DOH-GRU was dropped without replacement (HKG-DOH,GRU-AEP, intra-Argentinian flights, EZE-LHR-HKG)
Reissued HKG-DOH-EZE once DOH-EZE released. Needed one more day's leave (CX had space HKG-DOH for one day earlier)

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 26, 2019 at 1:30 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
"contact a supervisor and have them contact the liaison" which seems counter to your point that liaisons can't be fairy godmothers. Second link you posted is closer to what I am facing but still not exactly my situation as OP's original flight still exists.
I've learnt better. Liaisons are next to useless for partners
I've another cancelled partner (airline stopped operating the route) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28436114-post45.html
This was a route both CX and UL flew, and CX piled on the KY Jelly
It took me 9 months to get CX to rebook me on their own metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.