Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, you could always spend 110k AA.
would rather drive to ORD in the winter. It's always me and my wife so I only need to get one one-way rental car to ORD , instead paying an extra 80k miles (a one-way F award)

Last edited by rufflesinc; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:24 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Glob, Marriot/SPG - Plat, IHG - Plat
I am looking for flights from HKG to TPE on Cathay to add to an IAD-HKG flight I already reserved. I see 8 or so flights on ba.com that are available with 3-5 seats on each flight open for award booking. When I called in the agent said she couldn't locate a single flight or seat in any class. The date was Dec 29 2019. Anyone else having issues where Alaska agents are unable to see Cathay flights? I will probably try calling again tomorrow but any insight on how to guide them through the process would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Mazeltov
I am looking for flights from HKG to TPE on Cathay to add to an IAD-HKG flight I already reserved. I see 8 or so flights on ba.com that are available with 3-5 seats on each flight open for award booking. When I called in the agent said she couldn't locate a single flight or seat in any class.
Make sure they are Cathay Pacific (CX) flights and not Cathay Dragon (KA) flights. If you must book a KA flight, BA avios are excellent value.
Mazeltov likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Mazeltov
I am looking for flights from HKG to TPE on Cathay to add to an IAD-HKG flight I already reserved. I see 8 or so flights on ba.com that are available with 3-5 seats on each flight open for award booking. When I called in the agent said she couldn't locate a single flight or seat in any class. The date was Dec 29 2019. Anyone else having issues where Alaska agents are unable to see Cathay flights? I will probably try calling again tomorrow but any insight on how to guide them through the process would be much appreciated.
Business class, right? I see tons of J but no Y. If you are looking for Business class there should be plenty of availability HKG-TPE 12/29. Sounds like a poorly trained agent of which AS has many. HUCA. If they have trouble seeing it to add to your existing flight call and do not mention your existing flight but ask them if there is any availability on CX 12/29 from HKG-TPE in Business Class and if they see that then ask them to add it to your existing flight. If they cannot find it HUCA.
Mazeltov likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Glob, Marriot/SPG - Plat, IHG - Plat
Thank you ruffles and skim. The flights are definitely CX flights. I will try calling again because I think the agent was just poorly trained. She wasn't even aware you could check CX availability on BA.com.

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Flights seen on BA more than 330+, bookable over phone?

I called and was asked to wait 10 days. Wonder if I should HUACA? or it a definite no-no on AS computers. Also the agent told me if I cannot find PHX-SFO on AA at the time of booking SFO-HKG-BOM in F I could add that later as long it is business/first on AA with no change fee. Is that true? One more thing, they said if it is through and true F award, there are no change fees, is that true. Which of these 3 are just misinformed agent or possible scenarios? I will know soon but just want to be prepared with your guidance thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FT-hss
I called and was asked to wait 10 days. Wonder if I should HUACA? or it a definite no-no on AS computers. Also the agent told me if I cannot find PHX-SFO on AA at the time of booking SFO-HKG-BOM in F I could add that later as long it is business/first on AA with no change fee. Is that true? One more thing, they said if it is through and true F award, there are no change fees, is that true. Which of these 3 are just misinformed agent or possible scenarios? I will know soon but just want to be prepared with your guidance thanks.
It is my understanding, for mixed cabin redemptions, AS will allow you change the reservation without fee to upgrade into the cabin equivalent to your redemption. A change of itinerary, dates or times will incur the change fee. You cannot mix partners on an award so if you are flying other than AA on the TPAC you cannot connect PHX-SFO on AA. AS does fly PHX-SFO, at least seasonally. If the non-stop is unavailable for your dates you would need to fly via another connecting city.

James
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:59 pm

Hello all, I'm trying to book award travel on CX from Seattle-SIN (via HKG). I found C inventory on CX on Nov 20th (CX 857/691) on the Qantas site. Called Alaska and she said they had no inventory, "even if the British Airways site says so" (she'd heard that some people use that to search for award seats). While I'm not surprised by the lack of award space, I find it strange that the BA site doesn't show any availability for those flights either - just QF's site.

my question is: is it unusual to see CX availability on QF's site but not BA?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jakeller
Hello all, I'm trying to book award travel on CX from Seattle-SIN (via HKG). I found C inventory on CX on Nov 20th (CX 857/691) on the Qantas site. Called Alaska and she said they had no inventory, "even if the British Airways site says so" (she'd heard that some people use that to search for award seats). While I'm not surprised by the lack of award space, I find it strange that the BA site doesn't show any availability for those flights either - just QF's site.

my question is: is it unusual to see CX availability on QF's site but not BA?

Thanks,
Jeff
Most likely it is another poorly trained agent. This is a flight leaving near midnight and in order for it to show up in the AS system search results the agent needs to put in a time of 1AM when searching for the flight. There are more specific instructions in the thread but hopefully a simple HUCA and reminder to search with a time of 1AM will do the trick.

While in rare instances there can be availability differences based on Point of Sale, in most cases like yours (flight departing near midnight) it is a poorly trained agent (really bad IT).

Last edited by skimthetrees; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Took a bunch of attempts, but was able to get a second F seat for CX the day before my LAX-HKG flight. (I had earlier snagged 1 F and 1 J). Every time the AS agent was courteous (and relatively patient with me), although a couple of those times I did have to wait more than 5 minutes.

Like many, I do wish the IT issue was addressed - it’s also hard to see availability on BA and QF only a couple days before the flight!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by gmax58
Took a bunch of attempts, but was able to get a second F seat for CX the day before my LAX-HKG flight. (I had earlier snagged 1 F and 1 J). Every time the AS agent was courteous (and relatively patient with me), although a couple of those times I did have to wait more than 5 minutes.

Like many, I do wish the IT issue was addressed - it’s also hard to see availability on BA and QF only a couple days before the flight!
Congrats and good to know. My impression was that BA definitely doesn’t show close-in (within 3 day) availability but QF does. Was QF also not showing for you, and if so did you just call to ask without it showing online?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is my understanding, for mixed cabin redemptions, AS will allow you change the reservation without fee to upgrade into the cabin equivalent to your redemption. A change of itinerary, dates or times will incur the change fee. You cannot mix partners on an award so if you are flying other than AA on the TPAC you cannot connect PHX-SFO on AA. AS does fly PHX-SFO, at least seasonally. If the non-stop is unavailable for your dates you would need to fly via another connecting city.

James
Thank you. So looks like I have to just book SFO/LAX-HKG-BOM in F/Biz award and buy PHX-SFO/LAX separately later to make sure at least the long hauls are covered. For now I am not seeing anything AS that connects from PHX to either SFO or LAX. Wonder if I will find something like PHX-SEA-HKG-BOM and if that is what I should aim for instead since that would be just AS and CX (no mixing)? Help..

Dang... never mind.. see no F on SEA-HKG flights looks like...

Last edited by FT-hss; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:37 pm Reason: Enlightenment
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
That's correct, There is no first class cabin on A350
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thank you. So looks like I have to just book SFO/LAX-HKG-BOM in F/Biz award and buy PHX-SFO/LAX separately later to make sure at least the long hauls are covered. For now I am not seeing anything AS that connects from PHX to either SFO or LAX. Wonder if I will find something like PHX-SEA-HKG-BOM and if that is what I should aim for instead since that would be just AS and CX (no mixing)? Help..

PHX-PDX/SEA-LAX/SFO-HKG is possible, just requires award availability.

You can certainly get a separate ticket to get you to LAX/SFO (cash or award), you're just not protected if you miss the second flight due to a delay for the first flight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
PHX-PDX/SEA-LAX/SFO-HKG is possible, just requires award availability.

You can certainly get a separate ticket to get you to LAX/SFO (cash or award), you're just not protected if you miss the second flight due to a delay for the first flight.
As is PHX-PDX/SEA-YVR-HKG

James
SightseeMC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.