Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Haven't had the pleasure of trying JL. Can never seem to find F space to ORD.
Definitely a little there if you are flexible but you may only find one-way. Use QF to search and you can see the F pretty easily. Using AS JL F gets hidden behind something else (60k) on the calendar. From ORD I picked out a few JL F, 3/2, 3/10, 6/2, 9/1, 11/10, 11/24, 12/4, 12/8
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
From what I know there are no CX first flights to Aus/NZ , did it still cost you 80K miles? doesn't make sense to me because 40% of the journey is not in first
Yes, say you were on an award where AS leg is in F and only Y is available on CX, you would pay at least the business class price. Right now AA for example charges F price and QF charges business.
I have enough miles that 10K is worth the difference between between F/J for a 15 hour flight. 10K points costs under $300 so i would even buy the miles if I had to.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yes, say you were on an award where AS leg is in F and only Y is available on CX, you would pay at least the business class price. Right now AA for example charges F price and QF charges business.
I have enough miles that 10K is worth the difference between between F/J for a 15 hour flight. 10K points costs under $300 so i would even buy the miles if I had to.
Thank you, I have spent all my weekend looking for F availability with no luck,(HKG-East coast). Now staring to look from East coast-HKG . Does anyone know If I can use First lounge in HKG upon arrival even if my onward flight would be in Business?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Thank you, I have spent all my weekend looking for F availability with no luck,(HKG-East coast). Now staring to look from East coast-HKG . Does anyone know If I can use First lounge in HKG upon arrival even if my onward flight would be in Business?
Yes, I believe you can. At least I was able to under similar circumstance last summer.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:22 pm

I found some from Europe but seems like there is no way to connect to Australasia from EU using AS
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I found some from Europe but seems like there is no way to connect to Australasia from EU using AS
You can. It’s just two awards. AS doesn’t allow non-USA single awards connecting through HKG except for intra-Asia. Everything else breaks at HKG.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same day for sure. Someone mentioned next day if under 24 hours but I'm not familiar with that. My last award during my stopover in HKG on the way to BNE, i booked a separate same day ticket in economy for side trip to TPE. After spending a few hours in the city i went to the F lounge showing both inbound and outbound boarding passes.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You can. It’s just two awards. AS doesn’t allow non-USA single awards connecting through HKG except for intra-Asia. Everything else breaks at HKG.
That will be too much miles that I dont have 42.5k+45k, need to keep searching from east coast
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Same day for sure. Someone mentioned next day if under 24 hours but I'm not familiar with that. My last award during my stopover in HKG on the way to BNE, i booked a separate same day ticket in economy for side trip to TPE. After spending a few hours in the city i went to the F lounge showing both inbound and outbound boarding passes.
you booked a day trip to TPE using the same single award?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you booked a day trip to TPE using the same single award?
No, award was BOS-HKG (stopover) HKG-BNE. I paid cash for the side trip through Expedia. I've been to HKG enough times on AS awards so I booked the cheapest cash ticket i could find to another country with departure the same day I arrived. Another thread told me separate tickets didn't make a difference so that was my goal. No problem accessing the lounge.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
From what I know there are no CX first flights to Aus/NZ , did it still cost you 80K miles? doesn't make sense to me because 40% of the journey is not in first
Yes that is correct, you are paying a 20K premium for F on the TPAC. The HKG-BNE flight today is operated on a A359 without F. I have a huge stach of MP Miles and 15h in F is IMO still a good value considering AS Refundable F for a US transcon is 70K. LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE F/J for 80K is a great deal, LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE in J/J for 60K is exceptional.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 10, 2019 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did you handle that situation? That's the ultimate kick to the nuts.
F to J is a kick to the nuts? Talk about first world problems (and this is coming from someone who refuses to fly Y long-haul)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
F to J is a kick to the nuts? Talk about first world problems (and this is coming from someone who refuses to fly Y long-haul)
It's definitely a kick to the nuts. F to J is a big downgrade on CX.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That will be too much miles that I dont have 42.5k+45k, need to keep searching from east coast
Huh? Europe-HKG-Australia is 42.5k+30k in J. As previously mentioned, there’s no F to Australia.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's definitely a kick to the nuts. F to J is a big downgrade on CX.
I remember a thread on the united forum where someone got downgraded from J to Y and ended up in a middle seat on a flight from somewhere in the US (SFO?) to SIN.

That is a kick to the nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.