Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gawa
Hi there,
I've been looking into booking a one way award from SIN-HKG-YYZ. I gave the agent some of the segments found on BA with availability in different classes (i.e. SIN-HKG in PY and HKG-YYZ in J), and they told me it would actually be two tickets (15k points for SIN-HKG and 50k points for HKG-YYZ). Is this correct? Can they not issue this trip as a single ticket at 50k points? Or is this a case of HUCA?
Find a different rep. It should be one award; they just don’t have space in J.

I wouldn’t count on getting PE for the SIN-HKG segment. CX swaps airplanes a lot on that route, you might get shorthaul.
gawa likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Find a different rep. It should be one award; they just don’t have space in J.

I wouldn’t count on getting PE for the SIN-HKG segment. CX swaps airplanes a lot on that route, you might get shorthaul.
Thank you, I thought that but they seemed certain that it would have to be ticketed that way. And thanks for the tip about PE for SIN-HKG!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was looking for SEA-HKG in biz in May, BA showed 7 award seats on my desired date for that (yay, to not have to drive to YVR!) but then connecting to Delhi later in the evening so we could have a full day in HKG. All tools showed HKG-DEL in biz but nothing showed the two flights together. I was surprised that the agent was able to piece this together, with folks increasingly reporting challenges with married segments and CX.
allset2travel and Sinter like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by stephem
I was looking for SEA-HKG in biz in May, BA showed 7 award seats on my desired date for that (yay, to not have to drive to YVR!) but then connecting to Delhi later in the evening so we could have a full day in HKG. All tools showed HKG-DEL in biz but nothing showed the two flights together. I was surprised that the agent was able to piece this together, with folks increasingly reporting challenges with married segments and CX.
When the flights show available (eg on BA or QF) separately then you won't have a problem with married segments.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 am

I'd like to book BKK-HKG-JFK on CX with my AS miles.
The QF website shows availability for HKG-JFK, but nothing for BKK-HKG.
Interestingly when I search for BKK-JFK, the website shows availability for BKK-HKG-JFK.
JL's website shows the exact same results.
This gives me the feeling I'm dealing with married segments here.

I called AS and asked if they can see CX availability for BKK-JFK, but the agent was not able to see any availability.
She was only able to see the HKG-JFK leg separately, but not the whole BKK-HGK-JFK segments.

I'm wondering if there's a way for AS to book these married segments that I'm seeing on QF and JL's websites.
Does anyone have experience dealing with CX's married segment availability with AS miles?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by agjil
I'd like to book BKK-HKG-JFK on CX with my AS miles.
The QF website shows availability for HKG-JFK, but nothing for BKK-HKG.
Interestingly when I search for BKK-JFK, the website shows availability for BKK-HKG-JFK.
JL's website shows the exact same results.
This gives me the feeling I'm dealing with married segments here.

I called AS and asked if they can see CX availability for BKK-JFK, but the agent was not able to see any availability.
She was only able to see the HKG-JFK leg separately, but not the whole BKK-HGK-JFK segments.

I'm wondering if there's a way for AS to book these married segments that I'm seeing on QF and JL's websites.
Does anyone have experience dealing with CX's married segment availability with AS miles?
Evidence suggests AS can ticket married segment itineraries. It could have been an inexperienced agent. It is also possible this was a caching issue. AS does cache some JL availability so maybe they cache CX availability too? If you call back in a few hours or the next day the caching issue would not affect it. Flight around midnight? I do not see flights departing BKK close to midnight so that probably is not the issue.

HUCA. It should be possible with a competent agent but they need to search for BKK-JFK. Not BKK-HKG-JFK. Tell them you want to go from BKK to JFK, the date, the carrier, the time (maybe have them search using departure time too) and hopefully they can see it. You may have to call back a few times. Not all agents are experienced in married segment partner bookings.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Evidence suggests AS can ticket married segment itineraries. It could have been an inexperienced agent. It is also possible this was a caching issue. AS does cache some JL availability so maybe they cache CX availability too? If you call back in a few hours or the next day the caching issue would not affect it. Flight around midnight? I do not see flights departing BKK close to midnight so that probably is not the issue.

HUCA. It should be possible with a competent agent but they need to search for BKK-JFK. Not BKK-HKG-JFK. Tell them you want to go from BKK to JFK, the date, the carrier, the time (maybe have them search using departure time too) and hopefully they can see it. You may have to call back a few times. Not all agents are experienced in married segment partner bookings.
Thank you so much for your tip, I'm happy to report I was able to book the married segments after a few tries.
I had to call four times until I got an agent who was able to find and book the two flights together. (I tried calling AS whenever I had some spare time during the day to check my luck.)
All in my four calls I told the agents I wanted to book a one-way ticket from Bangkok to New York JFK, but somehow only the fourth agent was able to find the married segments being available.
I am not quite sure what she did differently compared to the other agents, but I'm happy to share a data point that tells AS indeed can book CX married segments.
Cheers.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
hi everyone , whats the best way to find first class reward availability ?I've been searching searching on British avios for many days but no luck. Is there a gui anyone can point me to?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
hi everyone , whats the best way to find first class reward availability ?I've been searching searching on British avios for many days but no luck. Is there a gui anyone can point me to?
I always use BA. The fact that you're having trouble finding availability adds up with the experiences of others. Try looking 10+ months out, I bet you'll find something.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
I prefer to use QF for searching CX availability. What city are you checking from? The error fare at New Years filled up a lot of F cabins with revenue tickets so finding F this year will be a challenge. Also note that not all flights operated from the US have an F cabin. I was downgraded from F to J on LAX-HKG last Thurday with an aircraft swap to 3 cabin (J, PE, Y) 777. With all the flights that day from LAX only one was a 4 cabin configuration.

I never book out 330 days but usually do find my awards in the 4 month to 3 month range and then closer in within a week.

James
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I was downgraded from F to J on LAX-HKG last Thurday with an aircraft swap to 3 cabin (J, PE, Y) 777. With all the flights that day from LAX only one was a 4 cabin configuration.
How did you handle that situation? That's the ultimate kick to the nuts.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
How did you handle that situation? That's the ultimate kick to the nuts.
No biggie, AS processed a return of 20K miles (LAX-HKG-BNE) and credited my Credit Card $1.98 I flew JL J/F HKG-NRT-JFK two weeks ago and took a stopover in JFK with 2 onward segments booked in mid March. For me, JL F is a better product both hard and soft. After a 5 week vacation and an around the world J revenue mileage run we will fly back on JL F award to SFO an then on to PHX.

James
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:37 pm
Suspended

No biggie, AS processed a return of 20K miles (LAX-HKG-BNE) and credited my Credit Card $1.98 I flew JL J/F HKG-NRT-JFK two weeks ago and took a stopover in JFK with 2 onward segments booked in mid March. For me, JL F is a better product both hard and soft. After a 5 week vacation and an around the world J revenue mileage run we will fly back on JL F award to SFO an then on to PHX.

James
Haven't had the pleasure of trying JL. Can never seem to find F space to ORD.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:58 am

I prefer to use QF for searching CX availability. What city are you checking from? The error fare at New Years filled up a lot of F cabins with revenue tickets so finding F this year will be a challenge. Also note that not all flights operated from the US have an F cabin. I was downgraded from F to J on LAX-HKG last Thurday with an aircraft swap to 3 cabin (J, PE, Y) 777. With all the flights that day from LAX only one was a 4 cabin configuration.

I never book out 330 days but usually do find my awards in the 4 month to 3 month range and then closer in within a week.

James
I'm trying to get from any city in the east coast to HKG or the other way , all the flights I've seen are on 777. I tried from Oct-Dec with no luck.I did not know about QF , I'll try. Thank you both
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:24 am

James
From what I know there are no CX first flights to Aus/NZ , did it still cost you 80K miles? doesn't make sense to me because 40% of the journey is not in first

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.