Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I have the same experience though only started looking. One clarification: you are saying if you are not looking in the 300-330 day out range then close in is most likely to find? Or not even then?
I have mainly been looking in the 300-330 zone as I am looking to book for April 2020 when that opens up. So I can't really give specific input as to the situation close in.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Do you feed the agent the segments individually which comes up with no availability and then ask them to attempt to ticket it anyway and it ends up married and confirmed? I would suspect many agents would give a lot of pushback on that unless they had previous experience with completely different results from what their screen was telling them. Or, do you just ask to search for CPT-SFO and let the system come up with the flights?
After I've found the routing on the JAL search engine, this is exactly what I did. The agent I spoke to was surprised it worked, but was perfectly happy to try. Alaska's international partner agents are leagues ahead of most other airlines though. I doubt you'll have any problems - but if you do, HUCA.
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by allthem
After I've found the routing on the JAL search engine, this is exactly what I did. The agent I spoke to was surprised it worked, but was perfectly happy to try. Alaska's international partner agents are leagues ahead of most other airlines though. I doubt you'll have any problems - but if you do, HUCA.
Which? No availability showed but it ticketed? Good info. I'll try that one next time if they can't find it. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Which? No availability showed but it ticketed? Good info. I'll try that one next time if they can't find it. Thanks.
To be clear, the routing was available on the JAL award search engine, but not on BA or Qantas or Alaska (according to the agent). Weird, isn't it?
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:51 pm

To be clear, the routing was available on the JAL award search engine, but not on BA or Qantas or Alaska (according to the agent). Weird, isn't it?
That is weird QF didn't show it. AS I would not claim anything is beyond their IT skills to mess up. It is a pleasant surprise that something like this can workaround their system quirks but ideally they would fix the system to make it work without having to know the secret sauce.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Interesting info. Found a bunch more availability on JAL, though in Y (which even BA/QF weren't showing). Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:05 am

Has anybody experienced CX pulling advance F class availability recently? I've been monitoring flights in August for a F class seat (booked my partner in F, I'm confirmed in J, hoping to join him). Before, almost every flight that was F6 had 1 F class seat available (seen on both BA and QF), and as of a few days ago all of that availability has completely dried up. I don't see a single F seat LAX-HKG anywhere in CX's schedule right now, even though there are plenty of F6s way out in advance. Even quite a few F5s, and one F6 flight within a week, but still no availability released aside from a few flights with two seats available that I saw a few days ago that were pulled shortly thereafter.

Is this a new era/policy of CX award availability? Perhaps the past two F class mistake fares have spurred them to attempt to protect the product more, and release fewer (if any??) seats as awards. Bummer for our honeymoon in August, curious as to what your experiences are?
avrilko1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Has anybody experienced CX pulling advance F class availability recently? I've been monitoring flights in August for a F class seat (booked my partner in F, I'm confirmed in J, hoping to join him).
it's always been rare for CX to release a F seat outside of calendar opening and T-14.
Before, almost every flight that was F6 had 1 F class seat available (seen on both BA and QF), and as of a few days ago all of that availability has completely dried up. I don't see a single F seat LAX-HKG anywhere in CX's schedule right now, even though there are plenty of F6s way out in advance. Even quite a few F5s, and one F6 flight within a week, but still no availability released aside from a few flights with two seats available that I saw a few days ago that were pulled shortly thereafter.

Is this a new era/policy of CX award availability? Perhaps the past two F class mistake fares have spurred them to attempt to protect the product more, and release fewer (if any??) seats as awards. Bummer for our honeymoon in August, curious as to what your experiences are?
Looking waaay out in the schedule, Jan 2020, there are some flights with 1 F seat
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
it's always been rare for CX to release a F seat outside of calendar opening and T-14.

Looking waaay out in the schedule, Jan 2020, there are some flights with 1 F seat
I have had good succes booking 4 to 3 months out. Of course the error fares will have put a wrinkle in that for this year....

James
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have had good succes booking 4 to 3 months out.
To be clear, I meant if the one F reward seat was already grabbed and flight is F5 or less, CX usually won't release another reward seat until T-14. If no one grabbed the initial seat at 3-4 months out, then of course it'll still be there. i've made several bookings in the last few years and religiously tracked the flights, never saw another F seat open until T-14

That's not to say it never happens, just rare and not something I'd plan for.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am looking for award space on Cathay Dec 11 HKG to AKL. I have two PE seats reserved but hoping for J. One is connected to F class SFP-HKG and one is new mileage booking after flying return paid A class on SFO-HKG-HAN ticket. My question is when and how to look for that availability since EF, which I do not have but was considering buying, does not follow Cathay award space. Is my only option to check back manually from time to time or this combined with 3-4 month out searching, two weeks before etc?

Also though my SFO to HKG is booked in F, since there is no F only J on the HKG-AKL does that limite me from using Cathay F lounges in HKG after we arrive and before we connect to the J flight?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=tobikosan;30675590
Also though my SFO to HKG is booked in F, since there is no F only J on the HKG-AKL does that limite me from using Cathay F lounges in HKG after we arrive and before we connect to the J flight?[/QUOTE]you can use F lounge after arriving on F flight, but only if it is same day.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Does anyone have experience booking awards on CX to Cape Town or Johannesburg in December? I’m at the 330 day threshold, but the Alaska agents I spoke to today couldn’t see any availability to either city in December, regardless of class. I was looking to secure two seats in J, as I was able to secure two J seats out of LAX. I understand that it’s peak season for South Africa, so I just wanted to see if this was normal or not.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am looking for award space on Cathay Dec 11 HKG to AKL. I have two PE seats reserved but hoping for J. One is connected to F class SFP-HKG and one is new mileage booking after flying return paid A class on SFO-HKG-HAN ticket. My question is when and how to look for that availability since EF, which I do not have but was considering buying, does not follow Cathay award space. Is my only option to check back manually from time to time or this combined with 3-4 month out searching, two weeks before etc?

Also though my SFO to HKG is booked in F, since there is no F only J on the HKG-AKL does that limite me from using Cathay F lounges in HKG after we arrive and before we connect to the J flight?
My experience of following HKG/AKL award space is that J is never available when the inventory opens up at T-330. Unfortunately I can't say whether it opens up closer in. Your only way of checking is via BA or QF websites, and I would recommend doing it regularly. There are two flights that day so if you are flexible as to your departure time from HKG you might get lucky on one of them. Good luck!
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Does anyone have experience booking awards on CX to Cape Town or Johannesburg in December? I’m at the 330 day threshold, but the Alaska agents I spoke to today couldn’t see any availability to either city in December, regardless of class. I was looking to secure two seats in J, as I was able to secure two J seats out of LAX. I understand that it’s peak season for South Africa, so I just wanted to see if this was normal or not.
I do not know if it is normal. I would say that it is normal for normal to change.

I also have bad news and good news and bad news for you.
  • The bad news is that you may not be able to find 2J from HKG to JNB direct for next December right now.
  • The good news is that if you were able to book with a married segment from Asia (e.g. TPE-HKG-JNB) you can find availability through HKG for next December right now (12/11 and 12/12 and probably more have availability TPE-HKG-JNB for 2J).
  • The bad news is that I do not think you can book TPE-HKG-JNB through AS as their award chart from Asia to Africa lists only "Hong Kong to Africa" on CX and no other cities. It might be worth a shot to see if an agent would go for it though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.