Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does AS take advantage of married segment logic when booking CX tickets? I'm trying to book either US-JNB/CPT or JNB/CPT-US in J or F in May and I'm coming up with zilch on all segments searching on BA/QF. I miss the days of decent, or even existent, CX availability...

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Jan 15, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by watashi
Does that mean there is no CX availability for HKG - AKL?
Probably. Australia/NZ is not an amazingly easy get for a lot of destinations.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I was able to find SEA-HKG but had to specify that near midnight timeframe.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ralphs
Not sure where to post this: Looking to book USA-HKG(stopover)-RGN. AS allows stopover but can't book the KA leg on HKG-RGN. AA doesn't allow stopover but can book KA HKG-RGN. CX allows both but at much higher mileage. Any potential ways to book this itinerary I'm missing?
Likely due to the fact one cannot earn AS miles flying KA, thus awards not available on this CX sister airline. AA and BA do credit KA flights, thus can booked awards.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Does AS take advantage of married segment logic when booking CX tickets? I'm trying to book either US-JNB/CPT or JNB/CPT-US in J or F in May and I'm coming up with zilch on all segments searching on BA/QF. I miss the days of decent, or even existent, CX availability...
Are you sure you can do JNB via HKG on CX as a single award? Africa is generally considered "via Atlantic" only in most FF programs, otherwise two separate awards. Also CX J and F award space has pretty much vanished between North America and Asia because of the New Years Eve fare glitch ticketing. The sold revenue inventory was shifted to award inventory, wiping out most premium seats well in advance, though possibly opening a few days out once revenue sales have stabilized. PE is showing on many flights now and a bargain at 35K AS miles between North America and Asia vs 30K for regular economy.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by watashi
I've been searching on BA Avios for J seats for HKG - AKL but for various dates throughout 2019, it only comes up with routes going through SYD on Qantas or combo of CX and Qantas. Does that mean there is no CX availability for HKG - AKL? Or does BA just not bring it up? My full desired route would be YVR - HKG - AKL and there is a fair amount of J available in late 2019 for the YVR - HKG leg.
I've done quite a bit of research on AKL/HKG/AKL CX award flights and have found the following:

HKG/AKL - I have never found any seats in J. You might get PE. As an alternative you have more chance of getting HKG/BNE in J, then get a separate ticket BNE/AKL.

AKL/HKG - there consistently seems to be J seats on a Thursday ex AKL (per QF or BA) at or around 330 days out.

If you are looking closer in than 300-330 days out then you are probably out of luck. Though that doesn't preclude getting lucky!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Are you sure you can do JNB via HKG on CX as a single award?
It’s a valid routing on an AS award using CX. AS is different from AA or other programs.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Are you sure you can do JNB via HKG on CX as a single award? Africa is generally considered "via Atlantic" only in most FF programs ....
Yes, you can do JNB/HKG/USA as a single award on CX - quite a bargain at 62,500 miles for J and 70,000 miles for F (though F only on the HKG/USA sector). Assuming you can find the space!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minz56
Yes, you can do JNB/HKG/USA as a single award on CX - quite a bargain at 62,500 miles for J and 70,000 miles for F (though F only on the HKG/USA sector). Assuming you can find the space!
I can confirm that I flew JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS last February on a single award. I found two J seats available at about 3 months out at 62.5K miles each. At T-11 days 1 F opened on the HKG-BOS segment. I called and upgraded one to F for 7.5K miles and a difference in taxes of... wait for it... $3.85. The same applies to fights to/from South Asia, India & the Middle East.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, I stand corrected. Forgot I had booked such an award two years ago, one-way J/F JNB-HKG-LAX-JFK (with AA miles) but had to cancel and rebook something on BA back via the Atlantic due to last minute change of plans.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've done quite a bit of research on AKL/HKG/AKL CX award flights and have found the following:

HKG/AKL - I have never found any seats in J. You might get PE. As an alternative you have more chance of getting HKG/BNE in J, then get a separate ticket BNE/AKL.

AKL/HKG - there consistently seems to be J seats on a Thursday ex AKL (per QF or BA) at or around 330 days out.

If you are looking closer in than 300-330 days out then you are probably out of luck. Though that doesn't preclude getting lucky!
I have the same experience though only started looking. One clarification: you are saying if you are not looking in the 300-330 day out range then close in is most likely to find? Or not even then?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I can confirm that I flew JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS last February on a single award. I found two J seats available at about 3 months out at 62.5K miles each. At T-11 days 1 F opened on the HKG-BOS segment. I called and upgraded one to F for 7.5K miles and a difference in taxes of... wait for it... $3.85. The same applies to fights to/from South Asia, India & the Middle East.

James
What credit card did you find most optimal to charge that $3.85 and how low did it take for you to make the choice. Dry humor. Hope it came through in the text.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Yep - and most JNB/CPT-HKG segments are only available via married segments with US flights. Use the JAL award search engine to find them. interestingly, Alaska agents can't actually see the married segment availability in their system, but if you ask them to try to ticket it, it'll go through.

- flew CPT-HKG-SFO yesterday in CX J/F on an Alaska award.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
What credit card did you find most optimal to charge that $3.85 and how low did it take for you to make the choice. Dry humor. Hope it came through in the text.
Definitely use the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It gives you trip insurance for the whole itinerary. And about 11 UR pts.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by allthem
Yep - and most JNB/CPT-HKG segments are only available via married segments with US flights. Use the JAL award search engine to find them. interestingly, Alaska agents can't actually see the married segment availability in their system, but if you ask them to try to ticket it, it'll go through.

- flew CPT-HKG-SFO yesterday in CX J/F on an Alaska award.
Do you feed the agent the segments individually which comes up with no availability and then ask them to attempt to ticket it anyway and it ends up married and confirmed? I would suspect many agents would give a lot of pushback on that unless they had previous experience with completely different results from what their screen was telling them. Or, do you just ask to search for CPT-SFO and let the system come up with the flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.