Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by ft543
As another data point, there seems to be some F availability for this weekend, but only when booked in conjunction with a HKG-Asia flight.
How did you determine that restriction
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
How did you determine that restriction
Was searching USA-HKG, saw no availability. Added a HKG-Asia segment and availability opened up.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Do you have to find your own reward flight availability before calling Alaska? I would like to take a trip west on a J or first reward, but dont have specific dates..

If you gave them a general timeframe and destination, are they able/willing to search for reward availability that way?

Ive been looking via british airways and it gets a little tedious.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by brentyb
Do you have to find your own reward flight availability before calling Alaska? I would like to take a trip west on a J or first reward, but dont have specific dates..

If you gave them a general timeframe and destination, are they able/willing to search for reward availability that way?

Ive been looking via british airways and it gets a little tedious.
When I’ve called in the past, they’ve been happy to do general searches from scratch for me. If they can’t find anything, then it might be worth doing some additional searches on your own
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Was searching USA-HKG, saw no availability. Added a HKG-Asia segment and availability opened up.
Married segments! You can have both but not one or the other. I saw this in early December. I was looking for LAX/SFO/YVR-HKG-CPT. Nothing available all the way through. NA-HKG was available but not HKG-CPT. However, there were two J HKG-CPT if you started in SIN. SIN-HKG-CPT is two awards with AS but since the HKG-CPT flight was not available on its own you are SOL.

I also see this with QF. Although it can not be booked with AS Mileage Plan, LAX-SYD-HKG will show availability in J or F but the same LAX-SYD flight isn't available to anyone, including QF, on its own.

James
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I saw this in early December. I was looking for LAX/SFO/YVR-HKG-CPT. Nothing available all the way through. NA-HKG was available but not HKG-CPT. However, there were two J HKG-CPT if you started in SIN.
Which website were you searching? Or did you call AS and have them search?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
I used BA and JAL to search (some browser extensions/KVS Tool can automate this process) .
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:19 am

I prefer to use QF as you can see a month at a time. You can also spot patterns. While searching you may also find JL, QF, EK and the odd AA award availability too. I have been 100% in booking CX awards when I call AS and feed them the flight numbers I found in my searches on QF. If I find a JL, QF, AA or EK award that is a valid routing for AS miles, I always see the availability for online booking through AS. I always look first segment by segment. If to no avail, I will start looking for married segments. I haven't booked a CX award with a married segment yet so I am not sure if AS can manually "divorce" a segment to use in conjunction with a TPAC.

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I just booked and CX first class ticket sfo-hkg, can I add a leg to AKL for the 5K more miles? How do I find the rules for which destinations I can add if available?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I just booked and CX first class ticket sfo-hkg, can I add a leg to AKL for the 5K more miles? How do I find the rules for which destinations I can add if available?
If you already have your SFO-HKG CX F award for 70K, there are no additional miles required to add onward travel with or without a HKG stopover to Asia, The Middle East, South Africa, India and South Asia. For Australia & New Zealand you will require 10K more miles. HKG-Europe would be a separate award. In all cases there will be minimal additional fees and taxes due. If you don't have a change/cancel fee waiver there will be a $125 fee per change per passenger, including adding segments, after 24 hours from booking.

For more information you can refer to the award charts for partner awards on the AS website.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you already have your SFO-HKG CX F award for 70K, there are no additional miles required to add onward travel with or without a HKG stopover to Asia, The Middle East, South Africa, India and South Asia. For Australia & New Zealand you will require 10K more miles. HKG-Europe would be a separate award. In all cases there will be minimal additional fees and taxes due. If you don't have a change/cancel fee waiver there will be a $125 fee per change per passenger, including adding segments, after 24 hours from booking.

For more information you can refer to the award charts for partner awards on the AS website.

James
I knew it would be you James, with the good info and answer. Thank you. So I can add AKL for 10K more if available hen add a separate 30K award for stand alone HKG-AKL? Is there a way to do HKG-AKL-LAX as one ticket say for 70K? I am AS MVPG and if I understand correctly I have no change fee for me or my wife when booking her with my miles out of my account. Is this correct? Do I need to find HKG-AKL availabiltity on say BA then call AS to make the addition? Any idea if I can do by Twitter as i am in Asia now?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:43 pm

I knew it would be you James, with the good info and answer. Thank you. So I can add AKL for 10K more if available hen add a separate 30K award for stand alone HKG-AKL? Is there a way to do HKG-AKL-LAX as one ticket say for 70K? I am AS MVPG and if I understand correctly I have no change fee for me or my wife when booking her with my miles out of my account. Is this correct? Do I need to find HKG-AKL availabiltity on say BA then call AS to make the addition? Any idea if I can do by Twitter as i am in Asia now?
Award charts very helpful. If I were to book a highest level available QF award ticket to LAX could I make LAX the stop over and go on to NYC for example? Only on direct AKL-LAX flight or would AKL-SYD-LAX if routed there but not using a stopover also be able to consider LAX the stopover? THX
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:55 pm

anyone successfully book SEA to HKG flight?
Called CS today. she said she can't see any direct flight from SEA to HKG
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:12 am

No way to do HKG-AKL-LAX on CX. You can add HKG-AKL at anytime before departure for 10K more. Most non TPAC don't have F so you will fly in J if available. If not you can add PE or Y. AKL-HKG is a separate award as everything terminates in HKG unless arriving from or departing to North America. As you are Gold, no change/cancel fees for yourself or companion(s) regardless os status. It should also be nicely outlined in the wiki. BA will work for checking availability but I find it cumberson. My preference is QF.

If you know your dates and no J is available now, I would consider booking PE or even Y so you know you have your flight. You can continue to look for J and if it opens up you can call AS and have them move you up.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:26 am

Award charts very helpful. If I were to book a highest level available QF award ticket to LAX could I make LAX the stop over and go on to NYC for example? Only on direct AKL-LAX flight or would AKL-SYD-LAX if routed there but not using a stopover also be able to consider LAX the stopover? THX
Routing is not possible on CX. QF would work via SYD or direct on AA or FJ. EK is possible but many more points, KE also possible but 125K one-way unless there is another award booked in conjunction. KE also has many blackout dates. However you get back to NA you can take a stopover at the NA gateway if you haven't already taken one elsewhere. If you have a layover of less than 24 hours in a connecting city enroute that doesn't affect your free stopover.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.