Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by 336
I intend on using my AS miles for an intra Asia award flight on CX: HND-HKG.

On this route CX has first class.

I looked on BA and Qantas, but couldn't find availability in first. No matter which date. Is this normal? Or should I look elsewhere?

If I settle for business, I would like to maximise, and book HND-HKG-SIN, of which there is plenty of availability.

Did I understand correctly that stopovers are not allowed in that case?

Can I only book the shortest connection in HKG, or choose a later flight, not exceeding 24 layover?
AS got ride of InterAsia stopovers thanks to the SQ fiasco.

CX F has been extremely hard to find since the mistake fare, CX has been willing to let the cabin go empty lately. YMMV

You can book whatever the agent will let you. According to the letter of the rule, anything below 24 hours is a layover not a stopover internationally. YMMV about booking longer than that. I had a 28 hour “layover” in SIN with SQ last month.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:57 am

OK. Thanks a lot.

If I would settle for business, and if can get one night in HKG, maximising the layover time, that would be great already.

For HND-HKG, there is one flight a day fitted with first class. I expect availability to be limited, but what surprises me is that I can't find any seat in first, no matter which date.
Do I need to look as far ahead as possible? Or can I hope for seats to open up? Or is this route simply one where they are very stingy with availability?

Last edited by 336; Feb 16, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
deleted

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 16, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 336
Do I need to look as far ahead as possible? Or can I hope for seats to open up? Or is this route simply one where they are very stingy with availability?
Correct, this is one of the few intra-Asia routes where CX offers F (as well as a guaranteed longhaul J product). Award availability is far slimmer than other services.

IMO if you want the best hard product/cost in miles optimization for TYO-SIN you want to fly JL- they have lie-flats on the route that are easier to come by. CX is likely to stick you in their regional J product for BOTH segments (and extremely likely at least HKG-SIN) unless you can catch a J or F award on the one longhaul flight, which is basically the equivalent of USA domestic F. If your heart is set on a HKG layover then of course CX is the only way to do it. If you are trying to “maximize” the experience, a recliner that reclines in a shell (and that is basically CX’s premium Y product longhaul) is not a very “maximum” experience. YMMV, of course.
336 likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 16, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by 336
OK. Thanks a lot.

If I would settle for business, and if can get one night in HKG, maximising the layover time, that would be great already.

For HND-HKG, there is one flight a day fitted with first class. I expect availability to be limited, but what surprises me is that I can't find any seat in first, no matter which date.
Based on a quick look HND-HKG in F is not generally available on the standard partners. It is available via AsiaMiles from around 330+ days out but right around 330 days it dries up even with AsiaMiles which leads me to suspect perhaps another partner gets access around +330 but not BA,QF, AS, JL. Maybe a non-OneWorld partner?

Anyway that route seems to be not available in F to the partners I have checked so I wouldn't plan on F there unless using AsiaMiles.
336 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:09 pm

Great input. Thanks a lot.

Final question: how hard is it, to book a flight in someone else name.

Both me and my wife, each have an AS account, with sufficient miles each.
For this flight, a relative and I will be flying. We have decided to try and use the miles of my wife, to book for him. Are there any restrictions?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by 336
Great input. Thanks a lot.

Final question: how hard is it, to book a flight in someone else name.

Both me and my wife, each have an AS account, with sufficient miles each.
For this flight, a relative and I will be flying. We have decided to try and use the miles of my wife, to book for him. Are there any restrictions?
No, I just booked a couple flights for the mom
and pops with my points. Although your are prone to more scrutiny if it’s interasia
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hieunha
I was charged for both fees, and have tried calling back 2-3 times now, and the agents said they are no longer able to waive this fees.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There are two fees. The phone booking fee and the partner award fee. Were you charged both or only one? The phone booking fee is usually waived since CX cannot be booked online. The partner award fee is never waived.
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Phone is the only way to book CX awards via Alaska, so they should waive it.
I'm not sure why AS was waiving them upon request for CX. Phone fee has applied for over a decade even when no partners could be booked online.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
No, I just booked a couple flights for the mom
and pops with my points. Although your are prone to more scrutiny if it’s interasia
I am friendly with some AS MileagePlan security staff. I would just warn mileage brokers they’ve really beefed up their security, especially inter-Asia. If you end up booking 5+ tickets with different names and you have no history with AS, odds are your tickets will be canceled.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
CX F cabins are weird when they’re released. You either have to book 6+ months in advance to find space, or a few days in advance. They don’t usually release 1-3 months especially F. However I did just get lucky and happen to stumble upon a HKG-LAX with 2 months so YMMV.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:47 am

Regarding guestimating AS partner award availability on CX: I read that JAL is the closest proxy to what seems to be available (better than BA). Correct?

I just enrolled for JAL Mileage bank, but apparently there is a 60 day wait before I can search award inventory?

Any other good tools to crosscheck availability for AS partner awards on CX?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by 336
Regarding guestimating AS partner award availability on CX: I read that JAL is the closest proxy to what seems to be available (better than BA). Correct?

I just enrolled for JAL Mileage bank, but apparently there is a 60 day wait before I can search award inventory?

Any other good tools to crosscheck availability for AS partner awards on CX?
Why do you say, "apparently"? JAL does state that miles may not be redeemed by new members for 60 days but I do not see any mention of a restriction against searching. Have you tried searching?

Any OneWorld member airline will be be able to book CX awards so if they have an online search that includes CX results you can use that. Qantas (QF) and British Airways (BA) are the most popular to search along with JAL. I believe AA also supports CX in its searches now. Results can vary by partner and I have found JL to be the most reflective of what is available via AS but if you do not have access to JAL search for 60 days then QF, BA, and AA are all helpful indicators.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm not sure why AS was waiving them upon request for CX. Phone fee has applied for over a decade even when no partners could be booked online.
I’ve never paid a phone fee booking AS and I have never needed to ask for it to be waived. AS doesn’t charge the fee if the award can’t be booked online.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Why do you say, "apparently"? JAL does state that miles may not be redeemed by new members for 60 days but I do not see any mention of a restriction against searching. Have you tried searching?
With "apparently" I mean that I leave some room of doubt that I am not finding the right spot on the JAL site to search for award flights.

Everywhere where I click to try and search, I get the notice that miles cannot be redeemed by new members for 60 days. Hence, I assume they disabled their search altogether for new members.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by 336
With "apparently" I mean that I leave some room of doubt that I am not finding the right spot on the JAL site to search for award flights.

Everywhere where I click to try and search, I get the notice that miles cannot be redeemed by new members for 60 days. Hence, I assume they disabled their search altogether for new members.
Got it. That would suck. Try logging in to your JMB account then paste in this URL and see if you still get the message:

https://www.ar.jal.co.jp/arl/en/jmb/...ner/round.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.