Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Are you sure it's a phone booking fee? AS has a $15 partner booking fee which is non-refundable. I suspect that's what you've been charged.
Partner booking fee is $12.50
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Phone booking fee has applied for partner awards bookings even a decade ago when few partners were online. Yes it's been waived before but sounds like they don't want to waive anymore. I had one accidentally charged as elite and it was a pain to get refunded
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:28 pm

I would like to say thank you to all the contributors of this thread. I have followed tips giving on booking flights with AS points and successfully booked CX flights to Sydney with stopover in Hong Kong in December 2020. One First and one Business from SFO to HKG, Two PE from HKG to SYD. It seems CX seldom release Bus between HKG to SYD, just have to make it a daily task to check.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
So I can see a two segment CX J award available via both AA and JL, but multiple AS agents insist they can't see it

AA.com will let me put it on hold, so it does not appear to be phantom

Is there anything to do beside HUCA and/or just wait and see if something changes...?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
So I can see a two segment CX J award available via both AA and JL, but multiple AS agents insist they can't see it

Is there anything to do beside HUCA and/or just wait and see if something changes...?
Lol another HUCA situation
This is just one data point (my own) but Alaska gets seriously less inventory than American or British Airways
However BA gets the most in my experiences of checking over the past years
Yes its great when you can book it through Alaska but seriously Alaska is over rated as frequently be it American Qantas etc the inventory simply isn't there
I have gotten lucky thankfully here or there in the past
Hopefully someone can be more helpful as Alaska can incredibly frustrating to book with and when adding segments that are legal.after booking
While the majority of agents are nice many don't have international partnership expertise/training and may advise poorly
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

When you check JL you should be checking the CX partner specific search. Is that what you are checking? Not the OneWorld award search and not including a KA (Cathay Dragon) segment since AS does not have access to KA awards? Also try checking BA and QF. If it is showing up on QF and JL CX partner specific search and is two segments or less then there is a 98% chance that is is available via AS. When you put the award on hold with AA the award seats get removed from inventory possibly causing AS to not have access if there are not more seats available.

If you can share the date and route we can look at it more closely.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Kafei
I would like to say thank you to all the contributors of this thread. I have followed tips giving on booking flights with AS points and successfully booked CX flights to Sydney with stopover in Hong Kong in December 2020. One First and one Business from SFO to HKG, Two PE from HKG to SYD. It seems CX seldom release Bus between HKG to SYD, just have to make it a daily task to check.
Congrats! glad it all worked out for you.

I've a HKG to MEL flight for Oct 2020 (currently in Y) and have been checking daily for either PE or J for the last month and availability has been tough. Hope you have better luck!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
I'm starting the rest of my award trip on Sunday, I should be able to guest 1 person to lounges at LAX Sunday night, at HKG almost all day long on 28th. Let me know if you want to join me. I should have been able to guest someone at AA flagship first dining at JFK last month, but I've completely forgotten about this guesting privilege, and I couldn't find the right thread to post, I hope this isn't off topic. Here's my post about the redemption:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post31283995

at LAX, I'm thinking about visiting QF first lounge. At HKG, I'll first go to Pier first lounge. During my last visit, the food was meh, and I have all day there, so I'll also try QF lounge for meals. A Plaza Premium staff at YVR told me other day that AS F pax won't have any lounge access there unless I'm a boardroom member, which I'm not. Can someone invite me to a lounge early Sunday afternoon at YVR transborder? I should have access to Boardroom at PDX that afternoon, but I'm unsure about guest privilege.

Seat maps showing 4 out of 6 F out of LAX are taken, HKG-cpt J is about half full. BA showed no availabilities, but interestingly Asia Miles showing availability for LAX-hkg F, but not HKG-cpt J. I should've checked last minute award availabilities JFK-yvr, but I've completely forgotten about it. It could've been an interesting one, because I've got the whole F cabin to myself.

Last edited by maverikbc; Jan 24, 2020 at 5:04 am
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:34 am

Is it me or has all CX availability NA-HKG dried up at T-330?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
It is, even for AM. Did you AS lot take it or CX systematically withdrawing availability at T-330?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AS
Do you mean now, looking right before Xmas 2020? I would not be surprised. I see seats available at less than T-330 so it may just be in the busy holiday season CX is holding back a bit or those seats were already taken by other programs that can book further out than 330. If you are flexible in your travel dates and can travel outside the peak dates you should be able to find something. Availability may open closer in for peak dates.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
It is, even for AM. Did you AS lot take it or CX systematically withdrawing availability at T-330?
Difficult to know, I know it is around Xmas but still seems wierd from all NA gateways

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Do you mean now, looking right before Xmas 2020? I would not be surprised. I see seats available at less than T-330 so it may just be in the busy holiday season CX is holding back a bit or those seats were already taken by other programs that can book further out than 330. If you are flexible in your travel dates and can travel outside the peak dates you should be able to find something. Availability may open closer in for peak dates.
I am just scanning now, not planning to fly Xmas probably late Jan after HK holiday. 2021, but seems like nothing is available T-330. I know flights come up closer to the time but like most prefer to get everything sorted 330 days prior
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
but like most prefer to get everything sorted 330 days prior
Don't we all. But airlines don't like to oblige https://onemileatatime.com/last-minute-airline-awards/
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:30 am

of course, however, CX always use to release a good amount of J in advance, however, I recently have seen this dry up. My question was have others noticed this as well, this is not me complaining about award availability.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Booked 3 tickets

Jnb hkg (stop) bos j f
Jnb hkg (stop) bos j j
Jnb hkg (stop) JFK j j.

All done in 1 call. Around 30 min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.