Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:22 pm

CX

Hi guys. As CX awards are impossible to be bought through the web and I'm currently travelling in Asia with very limited connectivity for long skype calls, I'd ask here. Planning to fly TYO-HKG first April week, could anyone guess the amount of fees for the Y/Y+ award ticket on CX or another airlines? Just thinking if it's better to simply buy the HKexpress ticket for ~100$ of try to use AS miles on something better.
Thanks for any info
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by brumbrum
Hi guys. As CX awards are impossible to be bought through the web and I'm currently travelling in Asia with very limited connectivity for long skype calls, I'd ask here. Planning to fly TYO-HKG first April week, could anyone guess the amount of fees for the Y/Y+ award ticket on CX or another airlines? Just thinking if it's better to simply buy the HKexpress ticket for ~100$ of try to use AS miles on something better.
Thanks for any info
Tax and fees for Y or PE are the same for this route. AS is showing $46-$47 for JAL which is actually lower than what ITAMatrix shows and CX should be similar. I would guess in the $46-$56 range for taxes and fees. If you can get a flight for $100 cash that would be a better use of resources than blowing AS miles plus cash on the ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:18 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LRD
Can AS agents select/request specific seats from CX?

Specifically, I'd like to get 2A on a 77W, my favorite, but the seat (bassinet) is not available to non-elites on the CX website.
Originally Posted by ft543
I use CX Facebook or Twitter to request those seats, give it a try, but they may have recently may have changed their policy on assigning bassinet seats.
Many thanks to you (and skimthetrees) for the advice. I tweeted with the CX team and got 2A on three flights within minutes.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:49 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Memories a bit rusty. I recall that once travel has commenced, no cabin changes are allowed even if you've paid for a higher level award is that correct? e.g. JFK-HKG(F)-JNB(PE) and J opens up later and you would like to change.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
After a CX scheduling change on HKG-PER moved to 15 Jun 2020, I now had an overnight in HKG. I didn't really want that mainly because I wasn't confident my JFK-HKG in CX F would allow me entry into the Pier/Wing First Class lounges after the overnight, and I really wanted to try them for the first time. I really love the CX Business Class lounges. So, BA, JL, and QF all showed no seats on 14 Jun 2020 JFK-HKG. However, all did show 1 F seat on BOS-HKG which would give me a 9 hour layover in HKG before my 15 Jun, enough time to overdo it in the F lounges. ha! Luckily, AS saw the seat too and easily made the change. Happy to see that all of the main three searching programs agreed, and the AS CSR saw the seat as well. ^
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:55 pm

Looks like CX has dropped ORD as a city with a F cabin configured 777 and moved an A350 to that route. Wonder if it’s permanent due to lack of demand. I need to call AS and be reticketed for my HKG>ORD flight in Sep. it’s a J Award so not a big deal for me but just an observation
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AlexanderK
Looks like CX has dropped ORD as a city with a F cabin configured 777 and moved an A350 to that route. Wonder if it’s permanent due to lack of demand. I need to call AS and be reticketed for my HKG>ORD flight in Sep. it’s a J Award so not a big deal for me but just an observation
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-june-1-a.html
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:01 pm

Separate AS award and CX ticket

I currently have booked an AS award from SJC-LAX-HKG in CX F, but my ultimate destination is SYD (which doesn't have any availability between HKG-SYD). Therefore, I booked a separate CX ticket from HKG-SYD in PE. Can I check in my luggage at SJC and ask the AS agents to check my bag through to SYD even though my flights are on two different tickets? Also, will I have access to the F CX lounges in HKG? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
I currently have booked an AS award from SJC-LAX-HKG in CX F, but my ultimate destination is SYD (which doesn't have any availability between HKG-SYD). Therefore, I booked a separate CX ticket from HKG-SYD in PE. Can I check in my luggage at SJC and ask the AS agents to check my bag through to SYD even though my flights are on two different tickets? Also, will I have access to the F CX lounges in HKG? Thanks!
Welcome to FT, gogogofalcons! Not a criticism, but wondering why you didn't book the F ticket NA-Australia for 80K and accept the downgrade to PE on the HKG-SYD segment? Then if availability opens up in biz to Australia, it's an easy phone call to upgrade that segment since you redeemed in F. Instead you paid 70K for F NA-Asia plus 25K for PE Asia-Australia, correct? It cost you 15K more miles, and unless you have AS status, it will cost you a change fee, and 5K more miles to upgrade the HKG-SYD if availability opens up in business.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:27 pm

Would have booked Y or PE from HKG-SYD but there was nothing open that AS could see
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:38 pm

Would have booked Y or PE from HKG-SYD but there was nothing open that AS could see
Got it - you booked directly with Asia Miles.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:57 pm

Yes, exactly. Any thoughts from my original post regarding baggage and lounge?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes, exactly. Any thoughts from my original post regarding baggage and lounge?
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

If you are travelling in different cabin classes within a single ticketed journey (e.g. from Singapore to Hong Kong in Business Class, and a connecting flight to Paris in Premium Economy), we will honour the highest class of travel (Business Class) for lounge entitlement* throughout your whole journey to make it a comfortable one. Please note that this only applies to flights operated by Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.
By rule it would appear no, if "single ticketed journey" it means "it's all on a single ticket", but I would guess you could show your F BP and PE BP, and assuming your onward travel is same day (not a case of you arriving in HK in the afternoon or evening and then going to SYD the afternoon or evening next day), you might get F lounge access if they're not excessively checking adherence to the rules.

Or it might be "single ticketed journey" means "your travel is all one journey, no > 24 hour stopovers".

The CX forum probably knows better. Ask there?
gogogofalcons likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I do not know about AS checking you through. If it were CX then they could do it. I had two separate CX awards SFO-HKG (F using AS miles) and HKG-BKK (J using BA Avios) and the CX check-in agent at SFO was able to link them, check my bag through to BKK, and when I arrived in HKG I had F lounge access, I believe from only scanning the onward J boarding pass (since it was linked in their system somehow).
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS
Separate ticket baggage experience

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I do not know about AS checking you through. If it were CX then they could do it. I had two separate CX awards SFO-HKG (F using AS miles) and HKG-BKK (J using BA Avios) and the CX check-in agent at SFO was able to link them, check my bag through to BKK, and when I arrived in HKG I had F lounge access, I believe from only scanning the onward J boarding pass (since it was linked in their system somehow).
Should've quoted gogogofalcons: I currently have booked an AS award from SJC-LAX-HKG in CX F, but my ultimate destination is SYD (which doesn't have any availability between HKG-SYD). Therefore, I booked a separate CX ticket from HKG-SYD in PE. Can I check in my luggage at SJC and ask the AS agents to check my bag through to SYD even though my flights are on two different tickets? Also, will I have access to the F CX lounges in HKG? Thanks!

Just returned from MEL-HKG-SEA via CX on a mileage ticket, and then SEA to ANC on AS as a separate ticket as we couldn't find mileage seats. CX in Melbourne was able to check our bags all the way to ANC, just took a little longer when we first arrived at the airport. We also did not check in with the app or the kiosk, we waited to speak to an agent. So hopefully if it works one direction, it will work the other direction! Just give yourself extra time at SJC I would say.

The only issue we had on our southbound itinerary was that if our layover was over 12 hours in the US, AS would not check our bags through. Since we were in SEA for 17 hours, we had to reclaim bags then recheck. My Australian friends were astonished by this, apparently in other countries airlines are happy to check your bags through even if you have a +12 hr layover. Just a thing that could be an issue.

Also make sure you have your Australian ETA. We were asked in SEA if we had it and needed to pull up the confirmation email for the CX agent.

Last edited by AK_Blue; Jan 9, 2020 at 4:51 pm Reason: Wrong person quoted...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.