Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
ExpertFlyer does not support CX award searches so that is why you have no luck using it for CX award searches.

While there does not appear to be much/any last minute F available to partners there is some last minute F available to AsiaMiles (CX's program). CX appears to be headed toward favoring their own AsiaMiles program, taking a cue from competitors like SQ. This is bad news for partners. Good news for AsiaMiles.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that I built up an AS nest egg with Marriott TCs, xfers, etc., always intending to do the long haul to HKG and onward. We once had pulled it off with JNB as the final destination. We never went to JNB however, cancelled that leg.

Was hoping to go back out but as mentioned earlier in the year, mid year found it difficult to find anything that the AS partner operator would see. I realize it requires cross-referencing, speed, luck, etc. Gotta say I adore all of you your patience and hard work. I am embarrassed at how poorly I am doing in this adventure, but am very thankful for this forum, and your replies. Thanks a ton.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Stopovers are generally in the gateway city only. From North America, that is Hong Kong. CX does fly TPE-NRT (CX450) but I doubt you would be able to do a TPE stopover on one award. You would require a second award for HKG-TPE//TPE-NRT for a TPE stopover if it is a valid routing for CX awards.

James
Thanks. I ask because I was able to successfully price online CAN-TPE(stop)-PEK-USA on HU as one award.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Thanks. I ask because I was able to successfully price online CAN-TPE(stop)-PEK-USA on HU as one award.
It is nice when you can book a partner online. What is offered is sometimes a head scratcher, but happy to book it. I have seen EK F DXB-JFK offered as DXB-LAX-JFK. I was looking for HKG-LAX and was offered JL HKG-HND-JFK-LAX in J,F,F. Thank you! I later added a 2 month stopover in JFK and added PVR, all online. Thank you very much! Since CX needs to be booked by an agent, flexibility usually isn't quite as generous.

James
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Trying to get on the CX JFK-YVR service in F before it ends next year. I have located an award on aa.com for MIA-JFK-YVR in F for 50,000 AA miles, with the MIA-JFK segment being operated by AA. Since this will be before the "breakup" next year, can I get the same routing on AS miles for 35k miles, or will they not book me the MIA-JFK segment on an award?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Trying to get on the CX JFK-YVR service in F before it ends next year. I have located an award on aa.com for MIA-JFK-YVR in F for 50,000 AA miles, with the MIA-JFK segment being operated by AA. Since this will be before the "breakup" next year, can I get the same routing on AS miles for 35k miles, or will they not book me the MIA-JFK segment on an award?
CX YVR<->JFK is a unique standalone redemption. You cannot have more than one partner on an AS award so your AA/CX itinerary is not possible. CX F is 35K Mileage Plan miles. You could book the MIA-JFK on AS as a separate award for 25K if AA has made that redemption available to AS. You would be looking at 60K total as two awards on AS.

Since AS allows a stopover on one-way redemptions, you may want to consider an AS redemption on AA as MIA-JFK/stopover/JFK/EWR-XXX (on AA or AS) giving you an extra segment in the futute if that would be of use to you.

James
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Read the wiki.

• Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read the wiki.

CX YVR<->JFK is a unique standalone redemption. You cannot have more than one partner on an AS award so your AA/CX itinerary is not possible. CX F is 35K Mileage Plan miles. You could book the MIA-JFK on AS as a separate award for 25K if AA has made that redemption available to AS. You would be looking at 60K total as two awards on AS.

Since AS allows a stopover on one-way redemptions, you may want to consider an AS redemption on AA as MIA-JFK/stopover/JFK/EWR-XXX (on AA or AS) giving you an extra segment in the futute if that would be of use to you.

James

Thanks both for the info and sorry for overlooking that line on the wiki.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Doesn't have to be as part of the same trip! If you pay the $125 change fee, you can add that final domestic segment even up to day of departure for your first flight, all the way out to the end of AS's schedule. Look at it as a free transcon one-way if you can nail down a date for one, say, six months in the future.
I was trying to get creative and add a US stopover on my one-way award trip IAD-HKG-TPE, but business class space has been scarce so when it opened up, I jumped on it without adding any stop overs.

Now that it is booked, is it possible to add a IAD-LAX to take place after the trip, even though the one-way award tickets originates in North America and ends in Asia? It would seem like a no and I'd only have the option of adding a domestic segment pre US departure, but thought I'd check with the experts here.

For example:
November 20 IAD-HKG-TPE (booked as a married one-way award on CX)
January 10 IAD-LAX (on AS)
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by bambikatz
I was trying to get creative and add a US stopover on my one-way award trip IAD-HKG-TPE, but business class space has been scarce so when it opened up, I jumped on it without adding any stop overs.

Now that it is booked, is it possible to add a IAD-LAX to take place after the trip, even though the one-way award tickets originates in North America and ends in Asia? It would seem like a no and I'd only have the option of adding a domestic segment pre US departure, but thought I'd check with the experts here.

For example:
Really?
frisbfreek, PVDtoDEL and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bambikatz

For example:
No. That is not a stopover. It is two separate trips. If you wanted a US stopover on your IAD-TPE award it would obviously have to stopover at IAD on the way to TPE which would mean LAX-IAD (or SOMEWHERETHATASFLIES-IAD) before the IAD-TPE flight.

If you had a TPE-IAD award you could add a stopover in IAD and later continue IAD-LAX.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
No. That is not a stopover. It is two separate trips. If you wanted a US stopover on your IAD-TPE award it would obviously have to stopover at IAD on the way to TPE which would mean LAX-IAD (or SOMEWHERETHATASFLIES-IAD) before the IAD-TPE flight.

If you had a TPE-IAD award you could add a stopover in IAD and later continue IAD-LAX.
Okay, thanks for confirming.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:45 pm

Hello! I'm just digging into the Alaska Airlines miles and had a few questions about flying from Toronto (YYZ) to Hong Kong (HKG).

Based on the link at the top it says Canada to Asia is 30K economy one way. Dug through a few pages and most comments were from the western cities (Vancouver, SF, etc) to HKG.

Does anyone know if you can fly direct on Cathay - Toronto to Hong Kong for 30K/one way as well?

I usually fly to HK once or twice a year and have been using Avios points, but am finding it harder and harder to book a flight with Avios points. Hoping Alaska Miles are another option!

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by tnim
Hello! I'm just digging into the Alaska Airlines miles and had a few questions about flying from Toronto (YYZ) to Hong Kong (HKG).

Based on the link at the top it says Canada to Asia is 30K economy one way. Dug through a few pages and most comments were from the western cities (Vancouver, SF, etc) to HKG.

Does anyone know if you can fly direct on Cathay - Toronto to Hong Kong for 30K/one way as well?

I usually fly to HK once or twice a year and have been using Avios points, but am finding it harder and harder to book a flight with Avios points. Hoping Alaska Miles are another option!

Thanks in advance!
You can fly CX from any North American gateway city, including YVR & YYZ. You will see the MP miles requirement is the same on CX if you query awards between the regions of Canada to Asia & beyond. YVR has the advantage that it is served by AS from SEA & PDX so it gets more attention as AS will fly you on their metal to the partner gateway without additional miles. YYZ doesn't have that luxury.

Also consider PE for marginally more miles if you can't reach a J redemption. Economy is 30K, PE is 35K. For ~17% more miles you can fly in a seperate, more comfortable cabin that usually prices out at more than 100% of a discounted Y on revenue flights. If you need 5K additional miles, you can purchase them for USD $137.50 + taxes (and GST if your MP account is domiciled in Canada). I wouldn't hesitate purchaing 5K miles to fly in PE. Purchases under 10K miles are never discounted during sales but 10K would be a sweet spot if you needed 10K more for a return.

Click here, enter Canada & Asia for the regions. You actually have a lot of options. Don't forget that you can have a stopover at the international gateway.

You can also consider ORD, BOS, IAD & JFK especially for your return. If you returned to ORD, you could add a US stopover and then continue on to Hawaii or Mexico as a one-way for no additional miles on AS. Also if starting in ORD, AS will fly you to LAX, SFO, SEA & even YVR to connect to CX. AS is pretty flexible. That would allow for a US stopover either way if not using one in Asia. All you would need is a return revenue ticket YYZ-ORD.

James
frisbfreek and tnim like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:25 pm

You can fly CX from any North American gateway city, including YVR & YYZ. You will see the MP miles requirement is the same on CX if you query awards between the regions of Canada to Asia & beyond. YVR has the advantage that it is served by AS from SEA & PDX so it gets more attention as AS will fly you on their metal to the partner gateway without additional miles. YYZ doesn't have that luxury.

Also consider PE for marginally more miles if you can't reach a J redemption. Economy is 30K, PE is 35K. For ~17% more miles you can fly in a seperate, more comfortable cabin that usually prices out at more than 100% of a discounted Y on revenue flights. If you need 5K additional miles, you can purchase them for USD $137.50 + taxes (and GST if your MP account is domiciled in Canada). I wouldn't hesitate purchaing 5K miles to fly in PE. Purchases under 10K miles are never discounted during sales but 10K would be a sweet spot if you needed 10K more for a return.

Click here, enter Canada & Asia for the regions. You actually have a lot of options. Don't forget that you can have a stopover at the international gateway.

You can also consider ORD, BOS, IAD & JFK especially for your return. If you returned to ORD, you could add a US stopover and then continue on to Hawaii or Mexico as a one-way for no additional miles on AS. Also if starting in ORD, AS will fly you to LAX, SFO, SEA & even YVR to connect to CX. AS is pretty flexible. That would allow for a US stopover either way if not using one in Asia. All you would need is a return revenue ticket YYZ-ORD.

James
Oh wow. Thanks for the detailed and informative response! Great tip on the PE option. It's only a slight premium to get the upgraded flight.
In terms of flight availability, since there's no online option for Cathay, are people checking availability on Qantas or some other site? Or would it be the old school way of calling in for everything?

The US starting option sounds like it opens up even more perks! Will need to read more on this to understand.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by tnim
Oh wow. Thanks for the detailed and informative response! Great tip on the PE option. It's only a slight premium to get the upgraded flight.
In terms of flight availability, since there's no online option for Cathay, are people checking availability on Qantas or some other site? Or would it be the old school way of calling in for everything?

The US starting option sounds like it opens up even more perks! Will need to read more on this to understand.

Thanks again.
QF is what I use, others prefer BA. For Y & PE, you shouldn't have difficulty finding what you want/need.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 19, 2019 at 9:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.