Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ladymama
The flight schedule is:
19:35 SGN - 23:05 HKG
01:00 HKG - 20:25 YVR

The second leg leave after midnight, is that apply to what you are talking about? Or just the first leg
If you are searching for complete journey availability SGN-YVR it should not matter. But, if the agent is searching segment by segment it would matter. It sounds like you may already have a booking in J and want to upgrade one segment to F, is that the case or is it a new booking?

If it is a new booking, ask the agent to search for SGN-YVR and do not mention HKG and if it is available to AS they should be able to find it.

If it is an existing booking I would call in, without mentioning my existing booking, and ask for the agent to search for HKG-YVR availability, telling them that the flight leaves shortly after midnight and you have heard that they need to put a time of 1AM into the search box for it to show up in their system. If they find the flight then tell them you want to change your existing J segment to the flight they just found in F.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
This is a CX thread. CX doesn’t appear on AS site.
Oops! My apologies! Had BA in mind.

James
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you are searching for complete journey availability SGN-YVR it should not matter. But, if the agent is searching segment by segment it would matter. It sounds like you may already have a booking in J and want to upgrade one segment to F, is that the case or is it a new booking?

If it is a new booking, ask the agent to search for SGN-YVR and do not mention HKG and if it is available to AS they should be able to find it.

If it is an existing booking I would call in, without mentioning my existing booking, and ask for the agent to search for HKG-YVR availability, telling them that the flight leaves shortly after midnight and you have heard that they need to put a time of 1AM into the search box for it to show up in their system. If they find the flight then tell them you want to change your existing J segment to the flight they just found in F.
Thanks for the information skimthetrees. I try the new booking from SGN-YVR, not upgrade one. Checking with BA, JAL and QF website, all 3 showing 1 first class available on that date, call back 4 more time but the reps still couldn't see any at all. I guess positive the space isn’t being released to AS.

Much appreciated for your help .
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:26 am

Thanks for the information skimthetrees. I try the new booking from SGN-YVR, not upgrade one. Checking with BA, JAL and QF website, all 3 showing 1 first class available on that date, call back 4 more time but the reps still couldn't see any at all. I guess positive the space isn’t being released to AS.

Much appreciated for your help .
That's pretty unusual. When you did the JAL search did you search for CX awards only, not OneWorld awards?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hi Skimthetrees, so, I call again and ask the rep check for the leg HKG-YVR, the rep see 1 F ticket available, but he didn't find any J on SGN-HKG leg. So, here is the question, if I took the F leg from HKG-YVR now, and when the J class on SGN-HKG available, can I add it on without loosing the F seat on the HKG-YVR leg?are they willing let me doing that and just pay $125 change fee? and don't have to pay any more miles?

so what they have now on JAL and BA :
SGN-HKG: None Y/J available
HKG-YVR: 1F
SGN-YVR: 1F

and the AS rep only see 1F on HKG-YVR leg, nothing on SGN-HKG (Y/J)

Thanks!

Last edited by ladymama; Oct 6, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Hi Skimthetrees, so, I call again and ask the rep check for the leg HKG-YVR, the rep see 1 F ticket available, but he didn't find any on SGN-HKG leg. So, here is the question, if I took the F leg from HKG-YVR now, and when the SGN-HKG available, can I add it on without loosing the F seat on the HKG-YVR leg?are they willing let me doing that and just pay $125 change fee? and don't have to pay any more miles?

so what they have now on JAL and BA :
SGN-HKG: None available
HKG-YVR: 1F
SGN-YVR: 1F

and the AS rep only see 1F on HKG-YVR leg

Thanks!
CX doesn't have F class on SGN-HKG. JAL and BA are presumably showing mixed class inventory, with F on HKG-YVR and Y/J ON SGN-HKG.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
CX doesn't have F class on SGN-HKG. JAL and BA are presumably showing mixed class inventory, with F on HKG-YVR and Y/J ON SGN-HKG.
Sorry, the rep not see any Y/J on the first leg from SGN-HKG at all! It’s corrected now, thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi Skimthetrees, so, I call again and ask the rep check for the leg HKG-YVR, the rep see 1 F ticket available, but he didn't find any J on SGN-HKG leg. So, here is the question, if I took the F leg from HKG-YVR now, and when the J class on SGN-HKG available, can I add it on without loosing the F seat on the HKG-YVR leg?are they willing let me doing that and just pay $125 change fee? and don't have to pay any more miles?
Yes, you can add SGN-HKG later to your existing HKG-YVR F. You will not lose HKG-YVR by adding SGN-HKG when it becomes available but you will have to pay the $125 change fee.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Sorry, the rep not see any Y/J on the first leg from SGN-HKG at all! It’s corrected now, thanks!
Is the SGN-HKG leg that BA is showing on a Cathay Dragon flight? AS can only book Cathay Pacific, while BA and other OW airlines can book Cathay Dragon as well.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, you can add SGN-HKG later to your existing HKG-YVR F. You will not lose HKG-YVR by adding SGN-HKG when it becomes available but you will have to pay the $125 change fee.
Thanks for the info skimthetress, I will take the F HKG-YVR by now.

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Is the SGN-HKG leg that BA is showing on a Cathay Dragon flight? AS can only book Cathay Pacific, while BA and other OW airlines can book Cathay Dragon as well.
Hi frisfreek, Cathay Pacific has service on the SGN-HKG leg, and Cathay Dragon is on HAN-HKG leg.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: United 1P
Hi all,

I have two questions. First, does JFK-HKG stopover - SYD require two award tickets or just one?

Second, if JFK-HKG-SYD is one ticket and I paid business class miles with the segment of JFK-HKG in business and HKG-SYD in economy. If later on HKG-SYD has business class availability, can I change the segment to business without paying the $125 fee?

Thank you for maintaining such an informative post.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by kgkg
Hi all,

I have two questions. First, does JFK-HKG stopover - SYD require two award tickets or just one?

Second, if JFK-HKG-SYD is one ticket and I paid business class miles with the segment of JFK-HKG in business and HKG-SYD in economy. If later on HKG-SYD has business class availability, can I change the segment to business without paying the $125 fee?

Thank you for maintaining such an informative post.
It is one award. 60K for business, 80K for F. The F will be TPAC only as there is no F on HKG-SYD. Click here and enter Contiguous USA/ALASKA & Australia regions for all options from the USA to Australia.

If you book JFK-HKG in J and HKG-SYD in Y or PE, there would not be a change fee to upgrade into a fare class (J) that you have already paid for.

James
kgkg, mlqsko and mixmastermark like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is one award. 60K for business, 80K for F. The F will be TPAC only as there is no F on HKG-SYD. Click here and enter Contiguous USA/ALASKA & Australia regions for all options from the USA to Australia.

If you book JFK-HKG in J and HKG-SYD in Y or PE, there would not be a change fee to upgrade into a fare class (J) that you have already paid for.

James
Thank you so much, James! That is great news.

One more question, if HKG-SYD's business class seat becomes available after I talk the JFK-HKG, will I be able to upgrade from economy to business on HKG-SYD free of charge?

Update: After calling Alaska, the representative over the phone confirmed that I can change to a business seat on HKG-SYD when it is available and free of charge even after I take the flight JFK-HKG

Last edited by kgkg; Oct 9, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:26 pm

Looking to book IAD-HKG-BKK in J.

Using the QF site, the only open J seats for the entire IAD-HKG-BKK have an eleven hour layover in HKG. There are six CX-operated HKG-BKK flights before that, but OF isn't t showing J available, or even allowing it to be booked in a mixed cabin J-Y. Not interested in going into HKG or else I'd book a stopover.

If on AS miles, is there a stand-by option without a change fee to switch to an earlier flight once we land in HKG, or if space opens up when we check-in at IAD? Or is it the $125 change fee regardless?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
Thank you so much, James! That is great news.

One more question, if HKG-SYD's business class seat becomes available after I talk the JFK-HKG, will I be able to upgrade from economy to business on HKG-SYD free of charge?
I don't have any experience in changing an itinerary that has already commenced. I am not sure that it can be but others with experience please chime in. If AS can change the cabin and reissue the ticket, in theory, there should be no fee.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.