Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
There was some speculation in the AA thread that this was tied to the Vietnam mistake fare earlier this year. If so hopefully by the winter we go back to business as usual, but I'm not sure what to think.
I suspect that was the impetus but I am not expecting last minute availability to return as it was. CX has learned some new tricks like making close-in awards available using only AsiaMiles. I do not expect that to go away which means even if close-in F returns it will be the AsiaMiles leftovers.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
any consensus as to CX flexibility?

having read through most of the recent posts, it seems that if Mrs767 and I book HKG-LAX/SFO on the same flight (currently 1F, 1J) we're very likely to fly as booked ... there are two other flights that each show 1F; I'm thinking of booking those, but in light of other recent discussion about Cathay not making last-minute F inventory available to partners, I'm wondering what sort of experiences have folks had with "SDC" on CX (they're also daytime departures/arrivals, which are FAR preferable to late-night, and we'll be on the same connection back to SEA anyway)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:05 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm wondering what sort of experiences have folks had with "SDC" on CX (they're also daytime departures/arrivals, which are FAR preferable to late-night, and we'll be on the same connection back to SEA anyway)
Ex-Hkg no go.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
one of the LAX flights that BA showed with 1F wasn't available to the AS phone agent :/
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jrl767
one of the LAX flights that BA showed with 1F wasn't available to the AS phone agent :/
I have experienced it the other way around too. Available to AS but not BA. CX sometimes has different availability for different partners.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by allthem
Cathay is generally pretty accomodating in these circumstances. You can either ask Alaska to ask Cathay to open award space on a different flight with PE (which they usually will do), or you can show up at the airport and see what they say. In general, I believe their policy is to seat you in J in this circumstance if there's open seats.
some data point: called AS and was told that since the downgrade was involuntary, they will be able to accommodate changes -- including to a different flight, without fees.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
NRT-HKG on J is not available, but ​​​​NRT-TPE(same day, via HKG) is showing available. What if I skip the last leg (HKG-TPE)? Is it possible to check my luggage to HKG only?

Thanks
​​
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by EG8196
NRT-HKG on J is not available, but ​​​​NRT-TPE(same day, via HKG) is showing available. What if I skip the last leg (HKG-TPE)? Is it possible to check my luggage to HKG only?

Thanks
​​
Book a long connection and you have a better chance, although never guaranteed. Personally, I have successfully short-checked luggage on 3hrs connections
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

I have a J flight booked that looks like it will be canceled due to pending capacity cuts this winter. I was wondering if it fall to Cathay or AS to re-book/accommodate any changes? Seems as though Cathay may refer me to AS but was hoping for another data point.

Last edited by jackthedog; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by jackthedog
I have a J flight booked that looks like it will be canceled due to pending capacity cuts this winter. I was wondering if it fall to Cathay or AS to re-book/accommodate any changes? Seems as though Cathy may refer me to AS but was hoping for another data point.
CX make the changes, AS reissue the ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
CX make the changes, AS reissue the ticket.
Thanks.

Anyone have experience with Cathay's flexibility following a cancelation? I may have to move things around by a day or two.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Datapoint:

I was looking for CX 2J LAX-HKG for 11/5 and found availability on QF for 2 on CX885 departing at 11:05am.

KVS Tools confirmed 2J on QF while JL & BA showed no availability. When I called AS they showed availability but for 1J only.

I also found availability on QF for 3J HKG-CPT on 11/13 and 11/18. Both were also showing on JL & BA as 3J and 3J was also available on AS.

This is the first time AS availability hasn't matched QF for a CX redemption for me but also interesting that JL & BA had no availability when AS still had a subset.

There were lots of J options JFK-HKG in the first week of November so I booked 2 JFK-HKG//HKG-CPT with an 11 day HKG stopover. Hopefully an F will open up prior to departure but not likely while the last of the New Year error fares filter through.

Still an excellent redeption for 15,424 miles in J for 62.5K each.

James
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
For those that may not have yet heard. CX is discontinuing their Fifth Freedom flights YVR<->JKF in the early Spring.

If you haven't flown the route and want to, now is the time to do it. I booked an F and a J today for the first week of November YVR-JFK. AS availability matched QF availability.

James
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still really regret never making my way up to Vancouver to catch those flights when they featured the 744
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For those that may not have yet heard. CX is discontinuing their Fifth Freedom flights YVR<->JKF in the early Spring.

If you haven't flown the route and want to, now is the time to do it. I booked an F and a J today for the first week of November YVR-JFK. AS availability matched QF availability.

James
do u book it just because you have the miles or u have an actual trip build around YVR JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.