Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by someone199977
Got it.
I think CX no longer sells F to anywhere in Asia other than PEK and HND. If they happen to operate a four cabin 777 to these places they would sell the F seats as J. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Still, 70000 miles for F in North America - HKG and J in HKG - DXB with a total flight time well over 20 hr is a no brainer, not to mention that continuing to CPT/JNB from HK brings the total to 30hr.
Correct on the first part. I flew JNB-HKG-BOS last year. Originally booked J+J for 62.5K. 1 F opened up at T-11 days on HKG-BOS. I upgraded the TPAC for 7.5K and $3.85 in additional taxes. That is a no brainer! The flight departed with 3 empty F seats. Of all the AS partner, multiple F flights I have flown on CX, QF, EK & JL I have yet to be in a full F cabin.

James
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Correct on the first part. I flew JNB-HKG-BOS last year. Originally booked J+J for 62.5K. 1 F opened up at T-11 days on HKG-BOS. I upgraded the TPAC for 7.5K and $3.85 in additional taxes. That is a no brainer! The flight departed with 3 empty F seats. Of all the AS partner, multiple F flights I have flown on CX, QF, EK & JL I have yet to be in a full F cabin.

James
Hey James, out of curiousity, since the flight departed with 3 empty seats in F, did you happen to monitor if any more F award inventory opened up between T-11 and departure? Would be nice to have that data point.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler
Hey James, out of curiousity, since the flight departed with 3 empty seats in F, did you happen to monitor if any more F award inventory opened up between T-11 and departure? Would be nice to have that data point.
Yes, I monitored award availability right down to departure. No additional seats were released. My partner flew in J.

James
Unionruler likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Does AS charge a fee for upgrading fare class on award travel?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Unless you paid the extra miles already (say you were on SEA-HKG-BKK, SEA-HKG was in J, no HKG-BKK availability at booking, so you are in Y that segment, but paid for the full 50k J award, J comes open and you call in), yes, because you're actually doing a completely new award in that case, not upgrading.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Unless you paid the extra miles already (say you were on SEA-HKG-BKK, SEA-HKG was in J, no HKG-BKK availability at booking, so you are in Y that segment, but paid for the full 50k J award, J comes open and you call in), yes, because you're actually doing a completely new award in that case, not upgrading.
What about making changes to the award if the first leg is done but I'm yet to fly the second leg? Is that allowed?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:30 pm

As @eponymous_coward illustrated, there is no change fee to change a segment of your itinerary into a cabin you have already paid for. In my case, a change fee would have been due. However, my Elite status grants a change fee waiver so the change fee at T-11 days was waived and I only needed to pay the addition taxes and miles.

James
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question on how the change fees work and whether there's a different between change fee and redeposit fee.

Right now I have HKG-LAX, 4 passengers on one PNR, using my miles, in CX Premium Economy.

I'd like to change this to BKK-MCI. There is availability on CX+AS metal both keeping my existing HKG-LAX as-is or by following an entirely new route that doesn't involve those seats.

Is there any advantage from a fee perspective in canceling my itin, paying a redeposit fee, vs changing the existing itin? I get the sense that the change fee would be $125 x 4. Would redeposit be the same, or just $125 once?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Question on how the change fees work and whether there's a different between change fee and redeposit fee.

Right now I have HKG-LAX, 4 passengers on one PNR, using my miles, in CX Premium Economy.

I'd like to change this to BKK-MCI. There is availability on CX+AS metal both keeping my existing HKG-LAX as-is or by following an entirely new route that doesn't involve those seats.

Is there any advantage from a fee perspective in canceling my itin, paying a redeposit fee, vs changing the existing itin? I get the sense that the change fee would be $125 x 4. Would redeposit be the same, or just $125 once?
Edit: nevermind
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Change and redeposit are the same.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA, AS

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Change and redeposit are the same.
The fee is the same.

The advantage of cancelling is that you get a new award that is good for 1 year from the date you booked the new award as opposed to 1 year from when you booked the old award. This may make no difference to you.

The advantage of changing the old award is you get to keep any existing segments you want. If you do not care about keeping them then it does not matter.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The fee is the same.

The advantage of cancelling is that you get a new award that is good for 1 year from the date you booked the new award as opposed to 1 year from when you booked the old award. This may make no difference to you.

The advantage of changing the old award is you get to keep any existing segments you want. If you do not care about keeping them then it does not matter.
I guess I would add that OP paid the partner booking fee of $15 p/ticket at the time of booking. If OP is doing a change then he would only pay the change fee, but if he cancels and redeposits OP would have to pay the partner booking fee of $15 p/ticket again for the new booking. I think OP is better off changing the existing booking rather than redepositing and booking again.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: airponts
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The fee is the same.

I am confused! surely if you cancel you pay the fee and the miles are redeposited to be used whenever and however, not on the same award for good for a year? The miles are just miles again?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
I guess I would add that OP paid the partner booking fee of $15 p/ticket at the time of booking. If OP is doing a change then he would only pay the change fee, but if he cancels and redeposits OP would have to pay the partner booking fee of $15 p/ticket again for the new booking. I think OP is better off changing the existing booking rather than redepositing and booking again.
Slight correction; the phone booking fee is $15 while the partner booking fee is $25 per round trip or $12.50 one-way.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Yep, I forgot about the booking fees for new awards.

Originally Posted by kindagot
I am confused! surely if you cancel you pay the fee and the miles are redeposited to be used whenever and however, not on the same award for good for a year? The miles are just miles again?
Right, not the same award but you cancel the old award, miles go back, you book a new award that is now good for a year which gives you extra time to use it if you have to change later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.