Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Question: Looking to book J on CX for 4 people in August; preferred routing would be JFK-HKG-CMB. Obviously this is extremely far out to see if this will actually end up happening, but I'm willing to be optimistic.
1. Should I try and book a flight/timeslot that is currently running (for example the 12:05am flight on Wednesday's) to hopefully hedge my bet?
2. If I were to book another flight (for example the 10:00am out of JFK) and my flight was cancelled, do you think CX would proactively place me on another flight that day with availability even though it is an Alaskan ticket?

I know these questions are impossible to answer with certainty, but I was just curious what you would do if you were in my situation.

Thanks.
1. Yes.
2. Yes. If CX cancels, they will likely rebook you on something of their own. This has been my experience with CX bookings via AA, AS, and BA.
3. Price out CMBDOHJFK one-way flights in J, when we went to Sri Lanka it was $2,200 one way (originating in CMB) which made the mileage burn uncompetitive when flying home. Better value to buy tickets. Earned tens of thousands of miles in addition to the savings.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
1. Yes.
2. Yes. If CX cancels, they will likely rebook you on something of their own. This has been my experience with CX bookings via AA, AS, and BA.
3. Price out CMBDOHJFK one-way flights in J, when we went to Sri Lanka it was $2,200 one way (originating in CMB) which made the mileage burn uncompetitive when flying home. Better value to buy tickets. Earned tens of thousands of miles in addition to the savings.
Thank you! Great insight. Yep, planning on booking cash in Qatar J for the way home!
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Thank you! Great insight. Yep, planning on booking cash in Qatar J for the way home!
I hope it works out. Sri Lanka is stunning.

People often neglect to realize how inexpensive locally-originating fares are, in the part of the world. I purchased Etihad Apartments from DAR to AUH with a 3-day layover (well, that segment was an A320), and then AUHJFK on the A380 for around $2,300 one-way. Saved me 110k AA points, AND earned me 10x on the purchase (Amex), a cabin bonus, and I believe an Elite bonus on AA. Would have been stupid to spend 110k.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I hope it works out. Sri Lanka is stunning.

People often neglect to realize how inexpensive locally-originating fares are, in the part of the world. I purchased Etihad Apartments from DAR to AUH with a 3-day layover (well, that segment was an A320), and then AUHJFK on the A380 for around $2,300 one-way. Saved me 110k AA points, AND earned me 10x on the purchase (Amex), a cabin bonus, and I believe an Elite bonus on AA. Would have been stupid to spend 110k.
I ended up with an ex-BLR fare on SQ to SEA a little over a year ago. Under $1500. It’s also going to help me get two years of elite AS status. My guess is once things are normal fares ex-India to the US should still be there.
jamienbaker likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 10, 2021 at 9:43 pm
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I ended up with an ex-BLR fare on SQ to SEA a little over a year ago. Under $1500. It’s also going to help me get two years of elite AS status. My guess is once things are normal fares ex-India to the YS should still be there.
With the 50% EQM bonus extension and the elimination of AS+partner thresholds, will you make MVPG this year? I don't see much utility for CX in 2021 either earning or redeeming.

James
Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
With the 50% EQM bonus extension and the elimination of AS+partner thresholds, will you make MVPG this year? I don't see much utility for CX in 2021 either earning or redeeming.

James
Can you elaborate on why you do not see much utility for CX in 2021? I was hoping to redeem something on there later in 2021 so curious on what you are seeing.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:22 am

I would book CX first with AS before they join oneworld. I feel a devalue coming. Hopefully they would give notice (unlike with the emirates devalue), but I would at least try to get something on the books. I just used the last of my AS points to book two first class tickets.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:43 pm

Anyone knows besides using British Avios what other airlines show you good availability on CX? I used BA to check for YYZ-HKG in J. BA shows several J availability but calling Alaska they said they didn't show J seats.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadianidol
Anyone knows besides using British Avios what other airlines show you good availability on CX? I used BA to check for YYZ-HKG in J. BA shows several J availability but calling Alaska they said they didn't show J seats.
Alaska’s inventory isn’t harmonized with OW-partners. There’s no reliable source other than calling.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA, AS
The availability that used to match most closely to AS was using the JAL website to search for CX partner only awards (not OneWorld awards). Many times I will start using Qantas but in your case I would suggest going to aa.com and using their award search calendar to filter for YYZ-HKG non-stop in Business/First, then check that against QF and JAL for good measure, then call Alaska to book.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Can you elaborate on why you do not see much utility for CX in 2021? I was hoping to redeem something on there later in 2021 so curious on what you are seeing.
They are not only getting trashed by COVID but by the crackdown on civil liberties in HK and protest disruptions. It makes Hong Kong less appealing for business if it’s one country,
one system. I don’t expect “normal” for CX’s route network in 2021.

I would argue if they trim routes the ones most likely to go are ones like JNB that are such the extreme value add for AS miles. I would also expect more A350s and less four cabin 777Ws.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
BA and AA shows availability which does not necessarily equate to inventory open to AS. Today I was finally able to book SIN- HKG-YVR in J for 11/30 after 4 days of calling in. First day nothing available, 2nd only HKG-YVR available, 3rd day all available but at last stage of booking CX would not confirm. Finally all booked today.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:06 pm

So all Alaska issued CX flight start with 027 right? means still free to cancel if book before 03/31, but tax/fees will be deposit to my account with expiry date?

looking to book SYD-HKG(STOP)-YVR, since Alaska release 330 days out, should I book SYD-HKG first and then call in 20 days later to add the 2nd segment? (since it's free change now)

Thanks!

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...dvisories#flex
  • This waiver is valid only for tickets issued by Alaska Airlines, which you can identify by a 13-digit ticket number that begins with Alaska Airlines code "027".
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS G75k, Hyatt Globalist
Award changes like what you described is still free. I just booked two awards like what you described recently. Fwiw I would book the entire trip first (all on the same date) and then call in 20 days later and tell them I want to change it to a stopover and tell them the new date.
eponymous_coward and ecgz88 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ecgz88
So all Alaska issued CX flight start with 027 right? means still free to cancel if book before 03/31, but tax/fees will be deposit to my account with expiry date?
All AS awards are issued on AS 027 ticket stock. Under the waiver, you would be able to change or cancel without a fee. The miles will be returned to your Mileage Plan account and any fees & taxes will be refunded to your original form of payment.

Change fees have flown away but cancellation fees will likely be reinstated after the waivers end.

James
ecgz88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.