Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 29, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Partner Desk: 1 800 307-6912

Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopovers are only allowed on any CX award where North America is the destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • Changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K.
  • If a cabin is not available for all segments of your award, you can change the award at a later date if a seat in the cabin becomes available and not incur a change fee, assuming you maintain the same flights and make no other changes to the award.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay one way award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single one way award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates). You may book a different partner on a round trip for the return (e.g., LAX-HKG(stop)-PEK on CX, PEK-ICN(stop)-LAX on KE).
  • Alaska enforces routing restrictions on CX awards that don't seem to apply to other partners like JL: specifically, backtracking west across North America ex-HKG or east flying to HKG doesn't seem to be allowed. I.e., SFO-JFK-HKG won't be allowed as a single award.
  • Cathay Dragon: AS cannot book flights on Cathay Dragon, only mainline Cathay. One can, however, buy a separate ticket, and upon checkin the agent can send your bags to final destination. Great post from Skimthetrees here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31273539-post663.html
  • $15 award booking fee is being applied and not waived for the majority of cases, does not matter that tickets can only be booked over the phone
  • If you're having problems booking USA-HKG(stopover)-XXX because of married segments, book without a stopover and then change your HKG-XXX dates later, after booking.

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links (please edit to add):

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lovefly88 View Post
Does anyone know if there is availability on just the YVR-JFK portion of CX 888 an upgrade would be allowed? If so would the 20,000 miles be worth it?

that would leave me no more miles.
I am not sure where you are getting 20K miles as an upgrade to first. Y is 17.5K, PE is 20K, J is 25K & F is 35K. Here is the award chart from AS.

Yes you can upgrade if there is availability. You would require the additional miles and pay the change fee of $125 if you don't have a change/cancel fee waiver.

Is it worth it? That is really subjective. I upgraded two J awards & we flew in F on YVR-JFK last week. The time from take-off to landing was 4h 11m. That is a pretty short flight. Too short to really enjoy F, I think. The flight is overnight and most just like to sleep. We wanted to fly the route as it will be terminated in the spring. As part of a larger award the mileage difference was minimal for the experience.

James
Old Nov 13, 19, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I am not sure where you are getting 20K miles as an upgrade to first. Y is 17.5K, PE is 20K, J is 25K & F is 35K. Here is the award chart from AS.

Yes you can upgrade if there is availability. You would require the additional miles and pay the change fee of $125 if you don't have a change/cancel fee waiver.

Is it worth it? That is really subjective. I upgraded two J awards & we flew in F on YVR-JFK last week. The time from take-off to landing was 4h 11m. That is a pretty short flight. Too short to really enjoy F, I think. The flight is overnight and most just like to sleep. We wanted to fly the route as it will be terminated in the spring. As part of a larger award the mileage difference was minimal for the experience.

James
we’re on 888 tonight from HKG-JFK via YVR. During check in at MNL the cx agent said that HKG-YVR is full in F but from YVR-JFK there are 3 seats available.

a 4 hour flight seems short to use 20,000 miles on but just wasn’t sure if it was even possible. The agent said she would put a note in the system and can ask at HKG.

can CX upgrade an AS ticket even?
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
we’re on 888 tonight from HKG-JFK via YVR. During check in at MNL the cx agent said that HKG-YVR is full in F but from YVR-JFK there are 3 seats available.

a 4 hour flight seems short to use 20,000 miles on but just wasn’t sure if it was even possible. The agent said she would put a note in the system and can ask at HKG.

I called CX last week to ask if they can upgrade an AS award ticket. They told me no
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:16 am

You are correct, for your itinerary, any segment in F will increase your award to a 70K F award from your existing 50K J award.

Even though there may be 3 seats available in the F cabin YVR-JFK that does not mean they are available for awards. I have yet to fly CX F with a full F cabin. My first CX F HKG-BOS had three pax and no F seats available for awards.

You would need to contact AS to make any changes to your itinerary if award seats are indeed available. You ticket is issued on AS ticket stock. CX won't be able to make changes to it.

Personally, I don't think the 20K is worth it for the short overnight flight YVR-JFK.

James
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:39 am

That’s a shame
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:10 am

Really disappointed, 2 empty seats in F and no opening to use miles. J is good and we saved 20,000 miles each but really wanted to try it out. Such is life.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton View Post
Does anyone have any tips on how to book CX flights to Australia now. With Married Segments basically locking out all HKG to Australian destinations it seems AS rewards are totally blocked except in Y. Does AS permit any TPE-HKG-Australia awards at all?
It would be two awards as Australia award charts are only to/from North America or Hong Kong
Old Nov 14, 19, 12:35 am

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
It would be two awards as Australia award charts are only to/from North America or Hong Kong
I don't think it can be even booked as 2 awards now. The USA to HKG portion is OK, the married segments don't seem to be blocking availability there. But the HKG to Australia segment is totally blocked out. CX seems to be blocking all award space from HKG to Australia, and it is only available if the flight starts outside of HKG, i.e. TPE-HKG-SYD. But the AS award chart does not permits CX flights to Australia originating outside HKG.
Its the equivalent of Award flight Catch-22.
Old Nov 14, 19, 5:53 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton View Post
I don't think it can be even booked as 2 awards now. The USA to HKG portion is OK, the married segments don't seem to be blocking availability there. But the HKG to Australia segment is totally blocked out. CX seems to be blocking all award space from HKG to Australia, and it is only available if the flight starts outside of HKG, i.e. TPE-HKG-SYD. But the AS award chart does not permits CX flights to Australia originating outside HKG.
Its the equivalent of Award flight Catch-22.
From the charts you can book TPE/HKG/SYD as two awards: TPE/HKG for 22,500 in J and HKG/SYD for 30,000 in J.

The question is will they let you book/ticket this and then subsequently cancel the TPE/HKG flight and replace it with a NA/HKG flight? Overall fewer points but cancellation/amendment fees will come into play if you are not an elite.
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
From the charts you can book TPE/HKG/SYD as two awards: TPE/HKG for 22,500 in J and HKG/SYD for 30,000 in J.

The question is will they let you book/ticket this and then subsequently cancel the TPE/HKG flight and replace it with a NA/HKG flight? Overall fewer points but cancellation/amendment fees will come into play if you are not an elite.
With married segments, you would not be able to book TPE-SYD on one PNR due to the restriction that all awards not going to or coming from NA terminate in HKG. You can't book the through fare. While there may be J on the TPE-HKG segment the unmarried HKG-SYD segment will not have J availability. Therein lies the catch.

While there have been reports of booking Asia to NA or NA to Asia and dropping the Asia flight to/from HKG there is no mechanism that would allow a similar approach to awards not involving NA.

James
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
has anyone success with getting AS to waive fee when cancelling a CX ticket originating in HKG due to the unrest?
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS
Change in plans!

Just let two mileage J seats from HKG to AKL on Dec 1 go. Found two J HKG to MEL on Nov 28 so we are going to fly to Australia then buy a ticket from MEL to AKL to start our NZ adventure. Just wasn't comfortable spending three days in HKG over the weekend. We booked our tickets in February originally.

And yes, they charged me $125/seat. More time in NZ makes it worth it!
tobikosan and PaperGlider like this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 12:07 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new with Alaska Mileage Plan. I recently booked a CX award ticket from HND to SGN in First with Alaska Miles. The reservation process was quick but when looking up my reservation on CX's website, the ticket shows zero baggage allowance, which is odd. I tried contacting CX but they said Alaska should fix it and Alaska said the same thing for CX. Have anyone experienced this problem?
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by vince_ View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new with Alaska Mileage Plan. I recently booked a CX award ticket from HND to SGN in First with Alaska Miles. The reservation process was quick but when looking up my reservation on CX's website, the ticket shows zero baggage allowance, which is odd. I tried contacting CX but they said Alaska should fix it and Alaska said the same thing for CX. Have anyone experienced this problem?
Pretty sure SGN has no First service so it would be First to HKG and J to SGN. I would not worry. CX shows on their website what the allowance is for generic journeys. If you are doing a stopover in HKG it may be the HKG-SGN segment has a different allowance but if it is without a stopover then First baggage rules apply all the way through.

What I find on Cathay's website for First from HND-HKG is:
50kg /110lbs Total per passenger

(Maximum 3 pieces)
vince_ likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rufflesinc View Post
has anyone success with getting AS to waive fee when cancelling a CX ticket originating in HKG due to the unrest?
Why would they do this?

Off to HK for a few days next week. Back in a few months.
I couldn’t imagine someone not traveling somewhere because of local protests? I mean, there are protests everyday in every country.

Does someone just never leave the house?

Search this Thread