Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 29, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Partner Desk: 1 800 307-6912

Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopovers are only allowed on any CX award where North America is the destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • Changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K.
  • If a cabin is not available for all segments of your award, you can change the award at a later date if a seat in the cabin becomes available and not incur a change fee, assuming you maintain the same flights and make no other changes to the award.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay one way award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single one way award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates). You may book a different partner on a round trip for the return (e.g., LAX-HKG(stop)-PEK on CX, PEK-ICN(stop)-LAX on KE).
  • Alaska enforces routing restrictions on CX awards that don't seem to apply to other partners like JL: specifically, backtracking west across North America ex-HKG or east flying to HKG doesn't seem to be allowed. I.e., SFO-JFK-HKG won't be allowed as a single award.
  • Cathay Dragon: AS cannot book flights on Cathay Dragon, only mainline Cathay. One can, however, buy a separate ticket, and upon checkin the agent can send your bags to final destination. Great post from Skimthetrees here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31273539-post663.html
  • $15 award booking fee is being applied and not waived for the majority of cases, does not matter that tickets can only be booked over the phone
  • If you're having problems booking USA-HKG(stopover)-XXX because of married segments, book without a stopover and then change your HKG-XXX dates later, after booking.

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links (please edit to add):

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.





Print Wikipost

Old Dec 28, 21, 10:27 am
  #1936  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Posts: 6,971
Due to the Omicron outbreak and the draconian measures imposed by HK government, I highly recommend anyone not booking CX award (and even paid) ticket in the near future. Due to various flight suspensions and stricter crew quarantine rules, Cathay Pacific will consolidate many cargo and passenger flights in Q1 2022. The world might have moved on, but Hong Kong has not. Hong Kong is still pursuing a zero Covid policy so I won't be surprised if there will be even less flights in 2022. If you ask if Hong Kong government plans to loosen the rules, my answer is NO. We will be lucky if hotel quarantine will reduce from 21 to 14 days after Winter Olympics. I don't see any relief till later half of 2022 and god knows how much crews CX will lose by then. Many expat pilots are already resigning because of the harsh working environment, being unable to see their significant others and children for two years, and not to mention the pay cuts. The CX schedules are unreliable now and first class is surely not coming back in 2022. CX's LAX-HKG and YYZ-HKG have just been suspended for two weeks because they had more than 4 passengers tested positive for Covid after arrival this past week. So even if they run a full schedule, you never know when your flight will be suspended.

Instead of asking about availability, just don't book Cathay Pacific in 2022 and beyond. You are just asking for troubles and god knows what the next variant is, and how Hong Kong government will react.

If you have book flights in the short term, there will be plenty of cancellations coming on soon. If you can rebook onto other airlines, I will do that now.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Dec 29, 21 at 3:45 am
Carfield is offline  
Old Dec 29, 21, 12:30 am
  #1937  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,673
Hard agree. I’ve been saying all along CX’s pandemic scheduling is fiction. Stay away unless you have a high tolerance for risk and babysitting your itinerary.
Carfield, estnet and be_rettSEA like this.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Dec 29, 21, 10:08 am
  #1938  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: USA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by mattdk88 View Post
I had 2x J tickets for SFO-BKK (CX851, CX705) for May 2021. CX851 has been canceled. I called Alaska and the agent couldn't get me on a different CX flight in J. Is this a HUCA situation or can they not do anything as CX has no J award space available?
In agreement to the post above, even if I could rebook with CX I wouldn't as the situation remains extremely uncertain. I had them scheduled for this Dec to BKK from LAX and with the schedule changes I just decide to be refunded. Flying CX wasn't worth ruining vacation plans which is already a lot to handle with Thailand's testing requirements. Any delays can mess up meeting your covid testing deadlines and force you to retest.

I ended up taking FinnAir LAX-HEL-BKK in J and JAL F award back (BKK-NRT-LAX). I would recommend booking award travel with either one of them and I haven't heard of any cancellations with them and both my flights ran like clockwork. Right now, neither HEL or NRT require COVID testing to transit unlike HKG.

Also on my flight and my friends separate flight, F was only 25 and 50% full. F award space was widdddddde open a few days before so you should be able to upgrade to F on JAL from J which is what I was able to do..
fbrdky likes this.
Sky Dreamer is offline  
Old Jan 8, 22, 10:56 am
  #1939  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,303
any advise on how to get an AS reservation changed after a CX schedule change from the CX auto-rebooked day-later-than-original-flight to my preferred day-prior-to-my-original-flight?
Colin is offline  
Old Jan 8, 22, 12:43 pm
  #1940  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Carfield View Post
Due to the Omicron outbreak and the draconian measures imposed by HK government, I highly recommend anyone not booking CX award (and even paid) ticket in the near future. Due to various flight suspensions and stricter crew quarantine rules, Cathay Pacific will consolidate many cargo and passenger flights in Q1 2022. The world might have moved on, but Hong Kong has not. Hong Kong is still pursuing a zero Covid policy so I won't be surprised if there will be even less flights in 2022. If you ask if Hong Kong government plans to loosen the rules, my answer is NO. We will be lucky if hotel quarantine will reduce from 21 to 14 days after Winter Olympics. I don't see any relief till later half of 2022 and god knows how much crews CX will lose by then. Many expat pilots are already resigning because of the harsh working environment, being unable to see their significant others and children for two years, and not to mention the pay cuts. The CX schedules are unreliable now and first class is surely not coming back in 2022. CX's LAX-HKG and YYZ-HKG have just been suspended for two weeks because they had more than 4 passengers tested positive for Covid after arrival this past week. So even if they run a full schedule, you never know when your flight will be suspended.

Instead of asking about availability, just don't book Cathay Pacific in 2022 and beyond. You are just asking for troubles and god knows what the next variant is, and how Hong Kong government will react.

If you have book flights in the short term, there will be plenty of cancellations coming on soon. If you can rebook onto other airlines, I will do that now.

Carfield
I agree with this, but keeping the booking in hopes of flying CX while they still exist. I have backup bookings for when CX doesn't work out.
mattdk88 is online now  
Old Jan 8, 22, 2:29 pm
  #1941  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Posts: 4,607
Flights from US banned

and Cathay just banned flights from the US - don't know how long but this will surely impact some on FT!
estnet is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 9:42 am
  #1942  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
CX Zero Out Inventory

I previously booked CX flights for May and saw they had zero'd out their schedule via ExpertFlyer.

Would there be any advantage in waiting for them to officially cancel the flight rather than trying to find availability on a different airline and requesting a change?
OnWing is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 10:01 am
  #1943  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 51,494
I haven't followed CX in a while. Have had a couple Asia trips planned that were canceled during the pandemic.

Is the current ban a political spat or a general "CX is about to go under" situation? Still holding out slim hope that I'll be able to redeem AS for CX for 2023 travel. Really, really slim hope I know....
pinniped is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 10:26 am
  #1944  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 358
Iím still holding on to hope for my sfo-hkg-bkk RT flight at the end of May /early June. Havenít received any notice of cancellation from Cx yet but know that can happen. Iím only transiting through hkg. Their ban on U.S. flights ends on 3/15
kayexalate is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 12:21 pm
  #1945  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,371
Originally Posted by OnWing View Post
I previously booked CX flights for May and saw they had zero'd out their schedule via ExpertFlyer.

Would there be any advantage in waiting for them to officially cancel the flight rather than trying to find availability on a different airline and requesting a change?
quite the opposite. You now have a jump on anyone else booked on the affected flights. Thatís the whole point of Expertflyer is to make sure you are ahead of the huddled masses.
jamienbaker is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 6:37 pm
  #1946  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 679
I just saw my flights also zeroed out for early April. Any chance at all they will be reinstated? There is no availability on other OW airlines for the specific date and O/D in J (MIL is elderly and it's a bloody long flight), so am loathe to preemptively cancel if this turns out to be a nothingburger
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 6:49 pm
  #1947  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,371
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
I just saw my flights also zeroed out for early April. Any chance at all they will be reinstated? There is no availability on other OW airlines for the specific date and O/D in J (MIL is elderly and it's a bloody long flight), so am loathe to preemptively cancel if this turns out to be a nothingburger
Exceedingly unlikely it would be reinstated, but if no other options exist and you donít need the miles, no harm in waiting for it to be canceled. No redeposit fee that way, if youíre subject to those. Sorry your trip isnít happening. Sucks.
jamienbaker is offline  
Old Feb 10, 22, 7:00 pm
  #1948  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 679
I appreciate your insight. It's so strange that they would zero-out every single SYD-HKG flight through to June 1st.. Seems like an awful long time. I feel bad for CX (not least because I still have a few 000,000AM orphaned there that I am trying to desperately use any which way lol)

Last edited by ukinny2000; Feb 10, 22 at 7:43 pm
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:05 am
  #1949  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,673
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
I appreciate your insight. It's so strange that they would zero-out every single SYD-HKG flight through to June 1st.. Seems like an awful long time. I feel bad for CX (not least because I still have a few 000,000AM orphaned there that I am trying to desperately use any which way lol)
AA, BA, AS, QF, JL come to mind. I offloaded some Asiamiles flying SEA-LHR on AA in J in 2021. The problem is that CX charges a not insubstantial cxl fee.

I’m hoping Australia opens for tourism and Japan for transits/tourism in spring 2023 and then I’ll liquidate what’s left flying JL and QF (possibly the OW multi carrier award if CX is actually meaningfully flying by then or I can make JL/QF work).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 11, 22 at 10:10 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 1:39 am
  #1950  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,651
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
AA, BA, AS, QF, JL come to mind. I offloaded some Asiamiles flying SEA-LHR on AA in J in 2021. The problem is that CX charges a not insubstantial cxl fee.

Iím hoping Australia opens for tourism and Japan for transits/tourism in spring 2023 and then Iíll liquidate whatís left flying JL and QF (possibly the OW multi carrier award if CX is actually meaningfully flying by then or I can make JL/QF work).
Australia opens in like 10 days.
mlqsko is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread