Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 29, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Partner Desk: 1 800 307-6912

Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopovers are only allowed on any CX award where North America is the destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • Changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K.
  • If a cabin is not available for all segments of your award, you can change the award at a later date if a seat in the cabin becomes available and not incur a change fee, assuming you maintain the same flights and make no other changes to the award.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay one way award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single one way award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates). You may book a different partner on a round trip for the return (e.g., LAX-HKG(stop)-PEK on CX, PEK-ICN(stop)-LAX on KE).
  • Alaska enforces routing restrictions on CX awards that don't seem to apply to other partners like JL: specifically, backtracking west across North America ex-HKG or east flying to HKG doesn't seem to be allowed. I.e., SFO-JFK-HKG won't be allowed as a single award.
  • Cathay Dragon: AS cannot book flights on Cathay Dragon, only mainline Cathay. One can, however, buy a separate ticket, and upon checkin the agent can send your bags to final destination. Great post from Skimthetrees here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31273539-post663.html
  • $15 award booking fee is being applied and not waived for the majority of cases, does not matter that tickets can only be booked over the phone
  • If you're having problems booking USA-HKG(stopover)-XXX because of married segments, book without a stopover and then change your HKG-XXX dates later, after booking.

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links (please edit to add):

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 21, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
I’m curious to get the community opinion on this.

Flying ex-HKG - USA, before oneworld I would definitely pay the 20k premium over business to fly J to get access to both the excellent first class lounges and superior soft product in F. However, now that I get OWE through AS75k, I get F lounge access regardless and now I’m less sure if paying a 20k premium just for some caviar and a bit higher shelf alch, and PJ’s are worth it.

Ex-JFK I think FFD at AA FL makes it worth it, but do you think Ex-HKG is CX F 40% better than CX J, an already excellent product?
Being able to eat when I want to eat, as opposed to when the FAs want me to eat, is worth a premium. Up to others to decide how much.
Old Aug 27, 21, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Kimpton Inner Circle Diamond

Flying ex-HKG - USA, before oneworld I would definitely pay the 20k premium over business to fly J to get access to both the excellent first class lounges and superior soft product in F. However, now that I get OWE through AS75k, I get F lounge access regardless and now I’m less sure if paying a 20k premium just for some caviar and a bit higher shelf alch, and PJ’s are worth it.

Ex-JFK I think FFD at AA FL makes it worth it, but do you think Ex-HKG is CX F 40% better than CX J, an already excellent product?
Isnt FFD closed?
Old Aug 27, 21, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Isnt FFD closed?
FL and FFD at JFK will resume in September, according to AA’s recent announcement
Old Aug 27, 21, 6:44 pm

FL and FFD at JFK will resume in September, according to AA’s recent announcement
Whats the specific date on that?
Old Aug 27, 21, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Whats the specific date on that?
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...s-MKG-LNGE-08/
Old Aug 28, 21, 7:11 am

Cancelling CX award flight - call needed?

Does anyone know if I need to call in to AS to have CX award flights cancelled since they can only be booked via call center? I was hoping to cancel online and have miles returned and charges refunded to CC automatically.
Old Aug 28, 21, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium

Well, aren’t you being optimistic, assuming CX will restore F to USA destinations by July 2022…

FWIW, some of the worst, most inedible airline food of my life was in CX J (shorthaul though). But if the J hard product is good enough for you and you don’t care about soft product… AS miles can literally be bought for 1.8 to 2 cpm. Is a better seat, better drinks and a set of PJs worth $360-400? Sounds like no.
Old Aug 28, 21, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Well, aren’t you being optimistic, assuming CX will restore F to USA destinations by July 2022…

FWIW, some of the worst, most inedible airline food of my life was in CX J (shorthaul though). But if the J hard product is good enough for you and you don’t care about soft product… AS miles can literally be bought for 1.8 to 2 cpm. Is a better seat, better drinks and a set of PJs worth $360-400? Sounds like no.
What do we have if not hope…

but thanks for your input, I decided to book J instead of F for next year. The only time my vertical challengeness works in my favor are flights, and I’ll buy myself a new set of PJ’s if I want with the “savings”
Old Aug 28, 21, 10:40 pm

Can the mods, or someone with better know how pin the AS partner desk’s number to the wiki? Partner Desk: 1 (800) 307-6912
minz56 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 21, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ
Can the mods, or someone with better know how pin the AS partner desk’s number to the wiki? Partner Desk: 1 (800) 307-6912
Do you know the number if you are not in the USA?
Old Aug 29, 21, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
Do you know the number if you are not in the USA?
Use Skype, it’s free.
minz56 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
If the F flights aren’t flying by July does an award ticket get cancelled/refunded or do you get booked into next best available class of business?
Old Sep 9, 21, 10:13 am

Programs: AS, HHonors
My first time trying to book a Cathay J ticket with Alaska miles. Checked for availability on AA, BA, CX sites and they all say 4 J available.

Call in to book, and HUCA twice but all agents say they’re seeing 0 J. Is the process to continue calling until someone magically sees availability, or does AS actually have different award availability than AA/BA?

FWIW I was calling the partner desk number last night around 9pm, but the recording said “thank you for calling gold mvp line”.
Old Sep 9, 21, 10:37 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
^ they don't operate 24 hours a day, call back during the day.
Old Sep 9, 21, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sea Trips View Post
My first time trying to book a Cathay J ticket with Alaska miles. Checked for availability on AA, BA, CX sites and they all say 4 J available.

Call in to book, and HUCA twice but all agents say they’re seeing 0 J. Is the process to continue calling until someone magically sees availability, or does AS actually have different award availability than AA/BA?

FWIW I was calling the partner desk number last night around 9pm, but the recording said “thank you for calling gold mvp line”.
Try to call back at different times of the day, I did that and I'm pretty sure I got a different call centre, which might have had different equipment. My second call the person was able to find the availability immediately and book it with no issues, first time they couldn't find anything

Search this Thread