Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
New to using GGU. Trying to upgrade a friend that I convinced to fly Alaska non stop Dulles to SFO instead of his normal American Airlines. Will feel really bad if it doesn't clear haha. Flight leaves in 2 days with no F space yet, 4 out of 8 seats available. The 75K agent said I couldn't wait list the space and to just keep checking. What happens if upgrades go to the gate? TIA
You basically have no chance here. If U (not F) space does open up it will immediately go to the elites on the wait list (barring the upgrade processor getting stuck, which admittedly is not THAT rare). By now, everyone (including MVP) is on the waitlist.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:04 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Thanks! Looks like I messed it up. And he doesn't earn miles on AA. So is the space for GGU different than the space for elites. When booking this ticket months ago I asked the 75K agent and she said it was the same space.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Thanks! Looks like I messed it up. And he doesn't earn miles on AA. So is the space for GGU different than the space for elites. When booking this ticket months ago I asked the 75K agent and she said it was the same space.
For advance upgrades (anything not based on the waitlist 5 days before departure) there must be U space open. On AS website its the solid blue F once you've clicked on the type of upgrade you are trying to use. In this sense its all the same, GGU just offers the most broad set of fare classes to upgrade from. The one area that can be confusing is the handoff to the waitlist upgrades that occur in the five day period before the flight. There GGU's don't really work as noted above, U space gets snapped up by status waitlisted. There are some rare cases where there are no elites to move up, and it could show U at that point. But thats rare, and a DC area flight will be tough to have that happen. So not impossible ... but close to.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it's the same space. That's the problem.

The upgrade window is now open for all elites. So if U space opens up, it will automatically go to an elite before you have a chance to manually apply the GGU.

Your only chance is if U space opens up, and someone is not upgraded into it. This can happen:

1. If there are not enough elites to fill all the U spaces (unlikely)
2. If the upgrade processor gets stuck and an elite is not automatically upgraded, allowing you to "snipe" it from the person who should get it (unfortunately not that rare)
3. If the U space opens before the elites' upgrade windows open (that ship has sailed, as we are inside 2 days now)
4. If a single U spot opens and all the elites on the list get skipped over because they have multiple people on the same itinerary (upgrades are all-or-nothing). People often get skipped over for this reason, but it's unlikely that there aren't ANY solo elites anywhere on the list.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:32 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Thanks everyone! I just booked him a seat in F and canceled his Y booking. As much as I fly AS I really should know more about the GGU's. VERY appreciative for this forum!
williwaw and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone! I just booked him a seat in F and canceled his Y booking.
I need friends like you
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Was able to use two GGUs for a companion and me for LAX - EWR on a Thursday flight in March. Date and flight time were actually exactly when we were looking for, so didn't require too much flexibility. I'm actually still pretty shocked that there was U2 available. Sadly, a 739 vs a pmVX F cabin (likely why U2 available), but we'll survive.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Just used two for ANC-DAL and back in March. All segments had U space.
Granted I had to pick certain flights during those days to get the U space, but they were frankly the flights I'd have chosen anyway.
I thought it was noteworthy that I scored U both IN AND OUT of ANC to SEA!!
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Alert from ExpertFlyer popped up and scooped a U space for PDX-DCA in March. Totally empty F cabin before I hopped in. I decided to use the GGU since I seems to always be on page two of upgrades flying into DCA....
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I used a single GGU tonight for a three segment transcon JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX for the end of next week. U space available on all three fights. The best part is the connection time in PDX was, wait for it.... exactly 4 hours.

I am arriving in JFK on a JL J/F award from HKG with onward Saver A that I booked today. I changed the onward travel to a different destination and added a 2 month stopover.

James
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I had one GGU left with a 2018 expiration date... and on 12/27 I was able to apply it to a trip I had already booked for travel on 1/13/19: FCA->SEA & SEA->MSY. Looking forward to more GGU success with my 2019 certs. :-)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Was able to use two GGUs for a companion and me for LAX - EWR on a Thursday flight in March. Date and flight time were actually exactly when we were looking for, so didn't require too much flexibility. I'm actually still pretty shocked that there was U2 available. Sadly, a 739 vs a pmVX F cabin (likely why U2 available), but we'll survive.
I've noticed that almost any ex VX airbuses don't offer U inventory. I'm sure part of the logic is only 8 F seats in those current configurations. I haven't checked the west coast up/down routes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone sees any Airbus route with U inventory.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
I've noticed that almost any ex VX airbuses don't offer U inventory. I'm sure part of the logic is only 8 F seats in those current configurations. I haven't checked the west coast up/down routes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone sees any Airbus route with U inventory.
I saw a ton of A320 flights with 1 seat of U inventory last week, just after AS had loaded schedule changes. By Monday morning, all of the inventory was gone.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I saw a ton of A320 flights with 1 seat of U inventory last week, just after AS had loaded schedule changes. By Monday morning, all of the inventory was gone.
Are schedule changes on Saturday night?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No, 26 individual GGU codes. To save everyone from sifting through my thousands of posts, when we qualified for MVPG in 2017 we each received 4. When we qualified for MVPG75K we each received 4 more. Subsequently, a lot of 75Ks in 2017 got a second round of 4 more each, just as we did. That is 12 each × 2 = 24. I used two GGUs on PDX-SEA-MSY. The E175 PDX-SEA was downgraded to a Q400 but we still flew SEA-MSY in F. Alaska issued 2 more GGUs for the short hop downgrade giving us 26 in total. All 26 were used.

James
I just went into my account and I noticed I have...16 GGU codes that all expire 12/31/2019. I was MVP Gold last year and I barely eeked out MVP Gold 75k in December. How would I have received 16??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.