Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimikim
I just went into my account and I noticed I have...16 GGU codes that all expire 12/31/2019. I was MVP Gold last year and I barely eeked out MVP Gold 75k in December. How would I have received 16??
Don't ask, don't tell. Enjoy.

James
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Can anyone clarify this for me ...

As an MVP Gold, a few weeks ago, I successfully booked two tickets with confirmed U GGU space on a connecting flight back from Hawaii in July (to Dallas). I immediately applied my GGUs and secured confirmed first class seats.

This week, my 50 minute connection in Seattle was adjusted to a 35 minute connection (kind of odd, because the arrival time to Dallas did not change). That 35 minute connection time makes my tickets "invalid" (Alaska uses a minimum 40 minute connection time), requiring a re-booking. When I called Alaska customer sevice, the Agent told me that our 1st class confirmed upgrades will be lost unless we can find confirmed U space on another connection option (fat chance in the summer travel season!).

We already secured hotels and made other plans for this trip. We booked these dates specifically because we could use our GGUs on the flights to/from Hawaii. It just doesn't seem fair to me that Alaska won't protect our confirmed upgrades in the rebooking process, given that Alaska is completely responsible for the ticketing issue (via their flight schedule adjustments).

Is the agent I spoke to correct (that we are out of luck unless we can find other workable U space), or did I receive incorrect information?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Can anyone clarify this for me ...

As an MVP Gold, a few weeks ago, I successfully booked two tickets with confirmed U GGU space on a connecting flight back from Hawaii in July (to Dallas). I immediately applied my GGUs and secured confirmed first class seats.

This week, my 50 minute connection in Seattle was adjusted to a 35 minute connection (kind of odd, because the arrival time to Dallas did not change). That 35 minute connection time makes my tickets "invalid" (Alaska uses a minimum 40 minute connection time), requiring a re-booking. When I called Alaska customer sevice, the Agent told me that our 1st class confirmed upgrades will be lost unless we can find confirmed U space on another connection option (fat chance in the summer travel season!).

We already secured hotels and made other plans for this trip. We booked these dates specifically because we could use our GGUs on the flights to/from Hawaii. It just doesn't seem fair to me that Alaska won't protect our confirmed upgrades in the rebooking process, given that Alaska is completely responsible for the ticketing issue (via their flight schedule adjustments).

Is the agent I spoke to correct (that we are out of luck unless we can find other workable U space), or did I receive incorrect information?
This sounds consistent w/ policy in terms of changing flights, however, because of the schedule change, you might be able to find another agent sympathetic enough to push it through. If answer is still no, that might be what you're stuck with, but a HUCA could result in them pushing the upgrade for you. You're probably better off giving them an option w/ lots of F available for sale vs one with just a handful of seats left. Good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Gripe: any lower 48 (I'd even take HNL) to ANC in mid July not on the Tuesday night 11pm flight SEA-ANC (arrives at 3am!?). I'm ready though - those new 200 EF alerts are very welcome Yes, peak summer travel, blah, blah, pbbbtt!
OK, I rescind my northbound gripe. I've gotten 10 EF pings in the last 36 hours. Get 'em while they're hot.
And now for the southbound...
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:22 pm

bad is use GGC if no U confirmable? better to waitlist from paid premium economy?

IF U is not confirmable should I apply a gold guest upgrade at time of booking?
it seems very convoluted?
Am I better of booking in confirmed premium economy and THEN requesting standby for F

I am only MID tier Gold MVP
not MVP 75K
I thought of intuitively figured out that with no cancellation of change fee ( of than fare difference if more that I should book two one ways.
It's JFK to SFO
or
EWR to SFO,
if $50 will move me up 3 fare basis for higher priority , it it worth the $50. will it help me?

I also see that I jump up a few 2 or 3 fare basis for nominal amount $40 if that --- would you do this as a mid-tier , If NYC – SFO nonstop. Not a two-hour flight. Traveling solo. Thanks to all.

Last edited by writetorich; Jan 22, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
IF U is not confirmable should I apply a gold guest upgrade at time of booking?
You can't.

As for the rest of your question, if you buy a higher fare class, you will be higher in the upgrade list. It will help your chances, but no guarantees. It's your call as to whether it's worth the money.

What you can do is book the cheapest available, and then watch for U space. If it shows up, you can call in and change to a higher fare class and apply the GGU.

Of course the price might have gone up by then. This is where a tool like expertflyer is useful; you can see what the advance purchase restrictions of a particular fare are, and how much it will go up when it expires. You can also see availability on each booking class so you can see how much inventory is left in the class you want, and how much the next highest class will be if it runs out.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 am

happy with Alaska

Got confirmed U class both ways
I booked two one way tixs. not even knowing a lot about alaska , figure with no csncellation fee that there was no downside
figured if I used the outbound ab=nd waned to change return would be easier.
also while customer care has never sadi "this is an exception to policy" when redeposting GGU, This way I only lose one if they dont reissue
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
SEA-ANC-PDX-MCO-SAN-BWI (which was only possible because the SAN layover was exactly 3+59) ... first leg never opened up, but that was a who-cares? early evening segment in 7A; wasnt monitoring MCO-SAN, but U space must have opened ~T-48 because I was still able to pre-order dinner after I got the email
Did sytem calculate a GGU requred or did you need it done manually on the phone
also how many miles was that?
how mant hours, so loike a tough ITN
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Was poking around EF for some ideas and see some U space on SEA-HNL open the last week of February and first weeks of March. Largely available Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and easier to find on the evening flight that lands at 10:10pm in HNL (AS145) but also on AS853 that leaves at 7:00am. Also seeing some pairs of U on the ANC-HNL route that week. Tuesday 3/5 on AS145 has 3 U spaces open.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska
Questions about GGU

(1) Do they permit same day free schedule changes (as they permit Gold members)?
(2) Presumably guests have to pay for checked baggage?
(3) Do guests get to collect an extra multiple on miles?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by planes
(1) Do they permit same day free schedule changes (as they permit Gold members)?
(2) Presumably guests have to pay for checked baggage?
(3) Do guests get to collect an extra multiple on miles?
1) Not by virtue of being GGU's. The traveler determines the rules for changes. (And you lose the GGU that was applied, the Gold member can ask for them back, but only the MVP Gold)
2) If you are in U before you check in, you get first two bags free (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions)
3) No, you move into U fares and no bonus there, just the underlying accrual of the original ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
1) Not by virtue of being GGU's. The traveler determines the rules for changes. (And you lose the GGU that was applied, the Gold member can ask for them back, but only the MVP Gold)
2) If you are in U before you check in, you get first two bags free (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions)
3) No, you move into U fares and no bonus there, just the underlying accrual of the original ticket.
I would just add for point one that the GGU will be reissued to the MVPG+ member providing it is wholly unused. If you have flown one or more segments of a multimulti-segment itinerary and then do a SDC to a subsequent leg, the GGU would not be reissued.

I did just that yesterday. I flew JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX on one GGU that upgraded all three segments as each segment had a 4hr or less connection time. The JFK-PDX segment was a light load with three empty F seats at departure. Weather was favourable and we landed in PDX 40 minutes early with a gate available.

The AS APP notified me uopn arrival that there were earlier flights available. I did a SDC to the noon shuttle connecting to the 1:40 pm SEA-PHX flight that would get me to PHX 4 hour earlier. I accepted the loss of my congirmed F seats. The 1:40 departure had one seat left in F still for sale at T-2, no U and about 10 on the upgrade list with #1 already confirmed. I moved to position #2 so thought I may have a good shot at it. Ironically, on the upgrade list for the PDX-SEA shuttle on the Q400 I was actually listed as awaiting an upgrade.

The noon shuttle was delayed due to a late inbound flight which also needed a crew change. When we landed in SEA. I saw that I was upgraded into the last F seat and despite an extremely tight connection could have made it to the departing gate. We made it to the terminal only to come to a screaching halt without a gate. During the 15 wait I saw my upgrade disappear, I dropped off the waitlist and #3 was upgraded, essentially I was too late to connect and they closed the flight without me on it.

With all the changes to my itinerary I couldn't do anymore online. The next flight at 3:40 also had only one F seat still for sale at T-2 hours with 15 on the waitlist and #1 confirmed. I went to the customer service counter for assistance. The agent advised me that I had already been upgraded to F on the next flight but needed help desk assistance to fix the record before he could print my boarding pass. Surprisingly, it appears they changed the remaining F to U and upgraded me as I never showed on the upgrade list for that flight which remained unchanged before departure.

It made for an interesting day and I still got to PHX 2 hours earlier. The in-flight crew was amazing on all three segments yesterday. Also comical, my online itinerary showed that I was on the next PDX-SEA flight even though I was already in SEA.

As an aside, the noon shuttle was turbulent free and a beverage choice of water or orange juice was served along with the Biscoff cookies on the 37 minute flight. Water was a Dasani bottle and orange juice a small can of Ocean Spray 100% juice. Once beverage service was complete one FA handed out about a dozen chocolate bars.

James
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt , Marirott
I had my 2018’s sat on them until 2nd half. Zero Mexico flights that were there in past. Hawaii flights from SEA via PDX but risky due to sea weather with 1 hr conex. No day flights non stop but red eye yes. No MSY. The things were useless in my world. Did find away to burn them on E175 Horizon. Hope a good investment
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Used 2 out and 2 return for DFW-SEA end of June/Early July for a cruise.
Gold to match my AA Platinum status. My only other AS flight was DAL-LAX (Virgin plane) the Friday of Labor Day weekend, and I got a comp upgrade for that (no GGU needed)
I had only previously used AS to fly to Seattle about once a year for the company I used to work for crediting to AA before the status match, and that cruise after I got the matched status.
I took the LAX flight on AS to top off AS miles.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Last year I gave mine away before they expired and sadly didn't qualify this year.
Now, I see U space for my honeymoon flights from SFO to OGG.
I feel like GGU life is so hard... When I need them, I never have it.. When I have it, I can never use them..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.