Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I pointed that out to him and he said that AA will still charge.
I'd bring a copy of the ticket receipt to show the AA agent at check in. If they still charge a fee, you could request a refund afterwards from the AA website.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jtroche1203
Thanks. It had originally been booked as ATL-CLT-PHX-PDX but the middle segment got cancelled and was rebooked. Not sure if any of that would have been codeshared nor was it booked through the AS site.
If it wasn't booked through the AS site the odds are low (online travel agency could sell AS coded AA Operated).It would have to be AS3XXX operated by AA. The following flight numbers are the only domestic flights eligible for EQM/RDM
The list of flight numbers from the partner page https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
(AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999, 8001-8199, or 8201-8999.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

[...]

ETA: The Twitter rep says no, I cannot check on the AA segment for free. But my emailed receipt says "Checked baggage: Alaska Airlines rules and fees apply for this itinerary."

Still following up....
As did mine on my standalone AS codeshare flight. It is a little murky because AS rules do apply and in AS rules it stipulates.

"Travel that includes multiple airlines or tickets

If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey."

AS rules apply in the manner of the exception. At least that is how it was explained to me. AA agent changed the FF# to my AAdvantage # which applied baggage waiver and priority boarding. I was able to select MCE seats on the strength of my AS Elite status and that stuck.

James
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question Refund of Premium Seat fee if Paying to Update/Change Ticket to Update?

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Premium is not a different class of service. Even with a premium seat, you are still in economy. So there's nothing to leapfrog. Your upgrade chances are the same
If I'm ticketed in the Main Cabin and pay to select a "Premium Seat" (as those are the only window-seats available) but I subsequently manage to pay to upgrade to First (in advance of check-in), do I get a refund of the Premium Seat fee?

The reason I would like to do this is to 1) secure a window seat 2) the fare difference between Main and First is $205 (after deducting baggage and "Premium seat" fees would be net $86). It's a +5 hour flight.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jbfield
If I'm ticketed in the Main Cabin and pay to select a "Premium Seat" (as those are the only window-seats available) but I subsequently manage to pay to upgrade to First (in advance of check-in), do I get a refund of the Premium Seat fee?

The reason I would like to do this is to 1) secure a window seat 2) the fare difference between Main and First is $205 (after deducting baggage and "Premium seat" fees would be net $86). It's a +5 hour flight.
From the chart in the url below the answer is yes you should get a refund.

This FAQ may provide more insight, specifically the Refundability Table: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...preferred-plus

Last edited by safari ari; Jun 4, 2019 at 11:49 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:48 pm

Thanks Safari Ari,
I found a further link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...preferred-plus which has a "Refundability table"

"Pay or redeem miles for upgrade to First Class on same flight" = Refund to original form of payment.
"Receive complimentary upgrade to First Class on same flight " = No refund or credit.

So it looks like it is possible when doing the former.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Not entirely sure what qualifying is.
In this case though, OP is wanting to upfare into F/I/P. I don't recall this being discussed before. The fare difference is $205 from the fare purchased. With baggage fees and the Premium seat fee, the net difference is $68. A small difference considering a 5+ hour flight, lounge access (if available on the route) and 75% COS Bonus for Elite qualification, if useful to the OP.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
In this case though, OP is wanting to upfare into F/I/P. I don't recall this being discussed before.
No, and I'd say that the language is a bit murky for an upfare. Paid or mileage upgrades usually mean into U. There's other language that changes on a non-refundable ticket (which an upfare is) do not qualify for a refund.

In any case, if the OP doesn't have Gold or higher and it's more that 24 hours after purchase, they will want to call in to upfare anyways and can check with an agent then. Do note that upfares to First are subject to change fees unless waived by an agent (website won't do that, but sometimes you will catch an agent that won't charge it hence the reason for calling in).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
No, and I'd say that the language is a bit murky for an upfare. Paid or mileage upgrades usually mean into U. There's other language that changes on a non-refundable ticket (which an upfare is) do not qualify for a refund.

In any case, if the OP doesn't have Gold or higher and it's more that 24 hours after purchase, they will want to call in to upfare anyways and can check with an agent then. Do note that upfares to First are subject to change fees unless waived by an agent (website won't do that, but sometimes you will catch an agent that won't charge it hence the reason for calling in).
Unfortunately I called them but they aren't able to change the ticket as it has been booked on Cathay Ticket Stock - although it's on 169 which is actually "Hahn Air". I shall give the corporate agent a call tomorrow and see what they can do.

To be clearer I'm looking to re-ticket the flight into a higher class rather than a 'subject to availability' upgrade.

Update: The fare difference is now a lot higher (USD $400) so it might no long be feasible. Awaiting [a very slow] corporate TA to confirm.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by jbfield; Jun 5, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Whats the current estimate for the opening on the new N Gate lounge? Still Fall '19?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by rune87
Whats the current estimate for the opening on the new N Gate lounge? Still Fall '19?
Rumor from the other thread is end of June. Which year is dependent on how optimistic you are.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:11 pm

I apologize profusely in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've read the information and am confused on complimentary upgrades in the below case.

The above is a screen capture when selecting miles for the above ORD-SFO in economy. There's also the option for just cash, or a miles & money booking. I know the miles & money and obviously the money only have a fare code, but the screen shot above doesn't seem to show one for the miles only. Does this mean that as a 75k, this miles only booking is not eligible for complimentary upgrade if available?

Best Regards,
Nathan
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hendrixnk75
I apologize profusely in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've read the information and am confused on complimentary upgrades in the below case.

The above is a screen capture when selecting miles for the above ORD-SFO in economy. There's also the option for just cash, or a miles & money booking. I know the miles & money and obviously the money only have a fare code, but the screen shot above doesn't seem to show one for the miles only. Does this mean that as a 75k, this miles only booking is not eligible for complimentary upgrade if available?

Best Regards,
Nathan
As long as it doesn't list Saver then its eligible for complimentary upgrades at the 75K upgrade window. Awards do not book into saver at this point. Main is what you will see for cabin when its not a saver fare in economy. If you were referring to instant upgrades to first at booking, only refundable awards are eligible for that benefit.
hendrixnk75 likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 7, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:21 pm

When you purchase the award it will show that you are waitlisted for first on the confirmation. All 75K on revenue flights will be upgraded before redemptions but you will still have priority over MVPG & MVP.

James
hendrixnk75 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Discount code question.

I'm very interested in hearing what the real-world results are from other elites. I have multiple discount codes from AS mechanical delays, crew issues, and broken seats. The emails I get with discount codes from Alaska are ambiguous about whether the MVPG+ free change and cancellation policy applies. They say to go to Alaska.com for details. When I do, via this link, I can view the specific terms, but those are also vague. When I've called the MVP line, I've gotten conflicting responses. One has said the discount is essentially a credit and stays with the value, even when canceled. Another said that I would lose the value if canceled.

I often use the MVPG+ free changes and cancellations, so when reading the T&C on discount codes, I've decided to put off using the discount codes until i am sure how the value worked on changes.

So two questions:

1) if use a $125 discount code to book a $250 flight, then go to change the flight (after 24 hour window) to another $250 flight, using my MVPG+ free change waiver, does the full $250 value transfer? Or do I end up losing the $125 discount and have to pay $125 more for the next flight?

2) if cancel the original $250 flight, does the $125 paid go back into my wallet and the $125 discount code work for future flights, or is it lost?

Here are the T&C for the discount code which seem contradictory:

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases only at alaskaair.com. Discount Code cannot be applied to tickets that have already been purchased and issued. Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future changes or purchases. Credit card required for purchase.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and will result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code in cases where the modified itinerary does not qualify for the discount. Once issued, tickets are not transferable.
There is no mention of status, or the MVPG+ waiver, as is mentioned in other places on the AS website. The provision "Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule" seems to exclusively apply to the fare, and not the MVPG+ status. Any clarification here is most appreciated. Thanks! - JJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.