Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old May 6, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks. The reason I would've wanted an upgrade (I usually don't care) was that this was a trans-con on the old Airbus, meaning super spacious comfy seats (4 in first). Agent never asked if I wanted to split PNR. Was in the bulkhead anyway.

My last pmVX F seat SFO-JFK

The only saving grace was it was a red-eye and I could use the blanket to cover the seat before I sat down. Big yes, but I don't find it comfortable at all. I sat once in row 6. I found looking at a distorted reflection of myself through purple plexi-glass to be nauseating and the dark cabin with smaller windows you need to crouch down to look out claustrophobic. Everyone has their preferences but mine is not for pmVX. The sooner they are all reconfigured, the better. They might have been a "cool" party vibe aircraft in their day but are extremely long in the tooth now.

For those that want to blame AS for their current condition keep in mind that there was a lot of neglect between the aquisition and the merger when they were still operating as separate airlines. Disengaged employees contributed to that.

James in Santiago.
ctporter likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 6, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by klanfa
Are Mileageplan award prices for AS flights dynamic now? I saw some PDX-SEA-BZN itineraries price much lower than SEA-BZN (e.g. 5k vs 12.5k). I checked a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice anything like that; there were plenty of SEA-BZN at 5-7.5k, but now they all seem to be gone in favor of 12.5k offers - even when PDX-SEA-BZN is 5k.
Any input on this?
Old May 8, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Couldn't find a guide to redemption bookings on AA. Anyways, is it possible to tag any additional segments onto a mileage TCON AA flight at the partner business level (or at all)? I am able to see a direct flight from JFK-CA but anytime I try to do a multi stop to add a segment to say SEA it disappears, guessing it is not possible, love validation though.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Are Mileageplan award prices for AS flights dynamic now? I saw some PDX-SEA-BZN itineraries price much lower than SEA-BZN (e.g. 5k vs 12.5k). I checked a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice anything like that; there were plenty of SEA-BZN at 5-7.5k, but now they all seem to be gone in favor of 12.5k offers - even when PDX-SEA-BZN is 5k.
Any input on this?
The discounted short distance awards (under 12.5K) are capacity controlled and dependent on not only saver space available but the lowest revenue fare buckets need to be open. Saver for the under 750 mile hop award may book into 5/7.5/10/12.5. In addition to Saver (W) space 5K awards there needs R, 7.5k needs T, 10k needs G.

Originally Posted by safari ari
Couldn't find a guide to redemption bookings on AA. Anyways, is it possible to tag any additional segments onto a mileage TCON AA flight at the partner business level (or at all)? I am able to see a direct flight from JFK-CA but anytime I try to do a multi stop to add a segment to say SEA it disappears, guessing it is not possible, love validation though.
No stopover is allowed on north america partner award. Other than JL and AY, no other partners allow stop-over on a regional award. Its limited to 4 hour connection only since its Domestic
klanfa likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; May 8, 2019 at 4:28 am
Old May 8, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Does anyone know how the Alaska Lounge membership charge appears on a credit card statement? I'm curious how it codes and if I can use the Amex gold airline credit for it.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Does anyone know how the Alaska Lounge membership charge appears on a credit card statement? I'm curious how it codes and if I can use the Amex gold airline credit for it.
When I purchased mine with the AS card it did not get the bonus.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Here's the part I can't figure out, and yes, I've done the searches.

As an MVP, I'm eligible for upgrade to F at the 48 hour window. Why is it then that on most flights I get waitlisted for an UG? What's the point of advertising UGs at T-48 if it almost never happens? I get the "let's hold on to the seats so we might sell them", but again....what's the point of the 48 hour bennie if they don't give it to you?

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Western Airlines

As an MVP, I'm eligible for upgrade to F at the 48 hour window. Why is it then that on most flights I get waitlisted for an UG? What's the point of advertising UGs at T-48 if it almost never happens? I get the "let's hold on to the seats so we might sell them", but again....what's the point of the 48 hour bennie if they don't give it to you?

Thanks.
It is dependent on U space being available.
Western Airlines likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Western Airlines

Thanks.
Upgrades require U space to be available. If U is either never opened, or taken by higher level elites at their windows, or advance instant/GGU/mileage upgrades, there's nothing left to upgrade into. The 48 window is just that, an eligibility window on non-instant upgrade fares (for MVP, that would be Y or S, again still requires U to be >0) that you can be upgraded. Complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed.

After your window opens, it's still possible for more U to be released as Revenue Management feels it is unlike to sell seats with any remained being turned over at airport control to the gate agent for assignment (and should be clearing in list order first before selling).
Old May 9, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
The discounted short distance awards (under 12.5K) are capacity controlled and dependent on not only saver space available but the lowest revenue fare buckets need to be open. Saver for the under 750 mile hop award may book into 5/7.5/10/12.5. In addition to Saver (W) space 5K awards there needs R, 7.5k needs T, 10k needs G.
Much appreciated!
Ended up booking SFO-SEA/stopover/SEA-BZN for 10k per person instead of 12.5k for just SEA-BZN. Love the multi-city option!
Old May 10, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Last week I had a 7am flight. Turns out my work stuff was done earlier than expected the day before. There was an 8pm flight on that day, but, of course, the current SDC process doesn't allow you to change to a previous day's flight even if within 24 hours of the booked flight.

My question: has anyone ever gotten a CSR to change you to the previous day's flight in that situation for free? (Assuming MVPG+)
Old May 10, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
How best to use my 4 complimentary Lounge daypasses

Title says it all.

Most likely I will be traveling via following airports, where should I use my passes:
SFO, SEA, ANC, MSY, RDU, PHL, JFK, IAD, PDX

TO use each daypass, is 1 guest allowed?

TIA

Last edited by allset2travel; May 10, 2019 at 6:16 pm Reason: edit to add
Old May 10, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Last week I had a 7am flight. Turns out my work stuff was done earlier than expected the day before. There was an 8pm flight on that day, but, of course, the current SDC process doesn't allow you to change to a previous day's flight even if within 24 hours of the booked flight.

My question: has anyone ever gotten a CSR to change you to the previous day's flight in that situation for free? (Assuming MVPG+)
I have not had luck, even when its maddeningly close to midnight. It never hurts to ask.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Title says it all.
Most likely I will be traveling via following airports, where should I use my passes:
SFO, SEA, ANC, MSY, RDU, PHL, JFK, IAD, PDX
There's only Alaska lounges at four of those, so you could visit all of them: SEA (3), ANC, JFK, PDX.

TO use each daypass, is 1 guest allowed?
I haven't brought in a guest with mine, but the rules for those that purchase day passes state this:
  • One day pass is required per person, however children younger than 2 can accompany an adult member at no charge.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ounge/day-pass
Old May 10, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tom911
There's only Alaska lounges at four of those, so you could visit all of them: SEA (3), ANC, JFK, PDX.
And purchased day passes can be used for multiple entries/locations departing/arriving/connecting for 24 hours with receipt. I assume complimentary day passes are the same, but not having done so the OP might confirm with the lounge concierge.
allset2travel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.