Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah, I thought that the 62k number quoted was too low -- thanks for doing this; I was about to calculate it myself!

I think it was not including the double miles promo.

I'm definitely going to try to book this. It's actually a better deal than an award flight. (Getting 70k RDM vs spending 130k means a 200k mile difference. I definitely value 200k miles at more than $3k (that would only be 1.5c per mile) and that's not even including the 25k EQM)
Ah, I did forget the double miles bonus!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I thought that the 62k number quoted was too low -- thanks for doing this; I was about to calculate it myself!

I think it was not including the double miles promo.

I'm definitely going to try to book this. It's actually a better deal than an award flight. (Getting 70k RDM vs spending 130k means a 200k mile difference. I definitely value 200k miles at more than $3k (that would only be 1.5c per mile) and that's not even including the 25k EQM)
Too bad it doesn't work in reverse... lol I could easily get from CPT to BKK on a cheap EK fare. When you are here, they work over there and when you are over there, they work here. Go figure!

I have been on 12 EK flights but have never seen the back (777) or the downstairs (A380) but wouldn't mind checking it out. I priced out an EK CPT-DXB-JFK (W class for 100% EQM, stopovers permitted) along with AS EWR-PDX-ANC-SEA-LAX-SJO for $1288. Over 20K EQM. For $222 more I can force all AS segments into K class and one GGU would upgrade all 5 segments. Not all flights have U but a good chance of getting U before the 75K window. It is the crazy stuff like this that gets me "flying high!" No Scotch required... lol A G&T works fine for me.

Interestingly, when forcing different fare classes for AS COS, I class was about $300 cheaper than P. I think the price differntial is too high for the 75% COS within Alaska's network. $1288 generating 46,586 RDM isn't anything to sneeze at. Valued at 2 cpm that would be a $931.72 rebate on a $1288.82 fare and I would be a stone's throw away from requalify for MVPG75K and another 50K RDM bonus.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:22 pm

The AS-marketed flight won't offer basic economy so it's often more expensive. Eg: https://flights.app.goo.gl/LqYVj

That $30 difference (currently $134 vs $104) is the buyup to main.

If you want to fly F, the difference is really extreme. It looks like AS only has access to full-fare F: Eg: ($1142 vs $297) https://flights.app.goo.gl/CEAXc

There are times when the buy up to Main on AA is still cheaper than the AS Marketed Codeshare. If you look at May 8th PHX-SCJ the AA BE fare is $84 an Main is $114 but the AS Marketed fare is still $134. The $20 difference is consistent to my experience when I flew the route.j

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=P...;sp:2.USD.8330

James in Kelonwa
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Too bad it doesn't work in reverse... lol I could easily get from CPT to BKK on a cheap EK fare. When you are here, they work over there and when you are over there, they work here. Go figure!
Yeah it's quite rare to have a cheap ex-USA fare. Usually it's the other way around... cheap when going to the US and back. That's why I like this deal so much. If they allowed stopovers in North America it would be in the "too good to be true" zone. I would be able to get a J trip to BKK and a F round trip to NY (well, two half round trips, but I go enough that it's the same for me) for $3k.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Codeshares will be on routes operated by the partner airline, not on routes where both airlines have service. For instance, AS does not fly PHX-SJC but they do have a codeshare with AA on that route. AS also has codeshares on CVG-ORD & non-stop YVR-LAX. YVR-LAX is interesting in that it is also international so either AS6023 or AA6023 will credit to Mileage Plan but the benefit of the AS codeshare is 100% EQM on the distance while the AA flight is based on fare class and could credit significantly less.

Similarly, AA does not fly to EAT (Wenatchee, WA) so AA has a codeshare with AS on that route and AA can quote a price on, for instance, ORD-SEA-EAT. I am still waiting for non-stop service from EAT-FAT.

I have flown the AS codeshare PHX-SJC as a standalone. Looking at a random date in May the AS codeshare is $20.00 more on AS than on AA and is consistent with when I flew the route last December. The loss of AS Elite Benefits on AA means no waived baggage fees. I was able to use my AA CC to get the baggage waiver. Interestingly, about 24 hours after booking the flight, I was able to Select MCE seats for no charge as they showed on the seat map on AS as available for selection with Elite Status.

What routes are you looking at that are significantly cheaper on AA?

James in Kelowna.
I'm having trouble finding a good example of a larger price discrepancy right now, but I know I've seen examples that were in the $100-$200 range. Which is more than you can account for with the basic economy discrepancy.

But specifically I'm looking at LAX-RDU, and am just trying to figure out if I can get AS credit by booking it directly with AA instead of through Alaska.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s

[...]

But specifically I'm looking at LAX-RDU, and am just trying to figure out if I can get AS credit by booking it directly with AA instead of through Alaska.
AA won't sell you an AS codeshare on a route they fly. It must be an AS flight number to credit so if you don't buy it through AS or another source not AA you are going to be out of luck. If you have any status or benefits attached to you AA FF# including from a CC, those will be lost.

James in Kelowna
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AA won't sell you an AS codeshare on a route they fly. It must be an AS flight number to credit so if you don't buy it through AS or another source not AA you are going to be out of luck. If you have any status or benefits attached to you AA FF# including from a CC, those will be lost.

James in Kelowna
Thanks, this is what I was trying to get at with my original question about "does it just have to have an AS codeshare or do I have to actually book it as the AS codeshare".
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Just booked 4 JL and EK awards in J. Put my middle name in during booking but appears to only have been ticketed with First/Last. Will this present any issues at check in/boarding? I know domestic flights they aren't too picky with missing middle names, but haven't experienced it on INTL. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Just booked 4 JL and EK awards in J. Put my middle name in during booking but appears to only have been ticketed with First/Last. Will this present any issues at check in/boarding? I know domestic flights they aren't too picky with missing middle names, but haven't experienced it on INTL. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
I wouldn't be concerned. I have flown both EK & JL awards with & without all my names (I have two middle names) and have never had an issue at check-in. My JL awards started in Asia and my EK awards started in Canada/USA (connecting AS flights to the US Gateway) I have also flown through 9 countries on one revenue itinerary on LA, TN, BA & EK. Never an issue with no middle name. I am traveling on a Canadian passport.

James in Kelowna
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I wouldn't be concerned. I have flown both EK & JL awards with & without all my names (I have two middle names) and have never had an issue at check-in. My JL awards started in Asia and my EK awards started in Canada/USA (connecting AS flights to the US Gateway) I have also flown through 9 countries on one revenue itinerary on LA, TN, BA & EK. Never an issue with no middle name. I am traveling on a Canadian passport.

James in Kelowna
Thanks, good to know. Appreciate the reply!
NoLaGent and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
When changing the 2nd leg of a flight using the same day change will I be able to request the change when checking in for the first leg, or will I need to wait for the window to be within 24h of the 2nd leg I want?

Also, will it matter that this flight was booked with miles (just MVP, not Gold).?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:20 am
vji

Worth a mileage run?

Hi all,

Given all my travels so far, I'm set for around 24k miles BIS with Alaska. I'm currently MVPG (from some partner fares) and have enjoyed the benefits (e.g. no change fees, GGUs, double miles, etc). I was wondering if, at this point, it is worth doing a MR or a few to get to gold next year.

Background: I don't fly for business, just for fun. My budget is around $1500, and I figure I can get the remaining 16k miles with three transcons (around $300 ea) but I don't really like the idea of sitting in a post-VX plane for 24 hours total. Home base is SFO. The change fee waivers have certainly been useful, but I'm sure if I had to pay for them I would just stick to my schedule or switch to WN. GGUs are nice but even F in an AS Boeing gets old after a bit. The main benefit would probably be the increased upgrades and the double miles (compared to 1.5). But a $900 mileage run seems steep - if I just kept MVP, got some fewer upgrades coast-to-coast, and perhaps used that extra money to free agent a bit more, I may find more use out of it.

Especially with the increase of BE and having to pay more for an upgrade chance, I might just sit in the back on short west coast flights and buy a lie-flat when I know I'm going to the east coast.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation, and thoughts?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in a similar situation. MVPG from last year but moved to lie-flats (status match to UA) for Hawaii and transcon.

If you have interest in more international travel, I think it's worth it for the bonus miles, and the waived change fees on award flights. No need to actually fly AS to get good value from the status (although you may as well, on shorter flights, for the miles earning) With AS being the only distance-based program left, I think that there is significant value.

I don't recommend mileage running economy-class transcons. Forget the money; they cost too much in time, comfort, and sanity. Watch out for good international premium-cabin (including PE) sale fares on partners and visit somewhere new. Get a vacation and an experience out of it. Hong Kong (on CX) , Tokyo (on JL) or London (on BA) are totally doable on a 4-day weekend from SFO, due to direct flights. Of course it also raises your target from 40k to 50k. But at least you are getting something for your time and money other than some miles.

I earned 15k EQM and 29k RDM on a $780 SFO-HKG RT in CX PE (sale) in January. I took a 4-day weekend for it. It gave me 3 days and 2 nights in HKG. Leave Thursday night (late), get some sleep on the plane, arrive ~7am Saturday morning (14hr flight + 16hr time change). Got some dim sum at the airport and headed to the hotel for an early check-in. 2 nights at the hotel and 3 days later, took a red-eye back -- left at 1am Tuesday; arrived Monday night (flight is shorter than time change). Just napped on the plane right after takeoff (~4hr of sleep) which allowed me to sleep when I got home and go to work the next day. IMO it beats the hell out of sitting in an economy seat to go back and forth across the country 3 times with no purpose.

That's my only AS earning this year to date but I still think I'll hit MVPG; maybe even 75k.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:39 am

What about SDC?

Say I have a ticket with AS flights as well as flights on another airline, ticketed by the other airline. Can I still SDC my AS segments and get the fee waived? Or do the changes need to be processed by the other airline?
I may test this out next month. I just booked a JL J/F for mid-May from South Korea to New York with two AS segments beyond; LAX and another country outside the USA. Both AS flights booked into F but depart from EWR. I may see if I can fly an earlier EWR-LAX but a SDC won't guarantee F space on the earlier flight and as an MVPG75K on an A Saver award I would be behind all MVPG75K on revenue tickets.

I will monitor the earlier flight but there is no rush getting to LAX as the onward flight isn't until the next day.

I will post my findings.

James in Kelowna for 4 hours 21 minutes!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Has anybody submitted missing mileage requests lately?

Submitted a CX one to the email on March 14, still no sign or response at the moment
To close the loop on my own experience, this is how long it took to get my missing miles on Cathay Pacific:

Feb: Flight flown
March 14: Submitted missing mileage request to Alaska Airlines through the email provided
March 31: Received response confirming deposit, although the date stamp on the agent's email before "Dear ," showed March 29

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.