Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KeithGP
James,

It's DFW-DXB in business class, nonstop. This is available on other days. The problem is that most of the other days match up with the availability that I see on Qantas and ExpertFlyer. I created an alert for the D saver class on EK. I received the available alert and looked on Qantas and it appears bookable through Qantas but when I search that same availability on Alaska, it's not there. My question is if it is real availability or only available to Qantas or not really available at all.
I would continue to watch on AS. Others have reported that AS Partner award availability is cached and may not accurately reflect availability. Once the cached data is refreshed it may show up.

Barring that and you still see the availability on QF call AS back and ask for the Partner desk. Once there, explain to them your findings, give them the exact flight & date and ask if it can be processed manually. Frontline agents usually just see what you see on the AS website.

James in Phoenix

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Avios, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would continue to watch on AS. Others have reported that AS Partner award availability is cached and may not accurately reflect availability. Once the cached data is refreshed it may show up.

Barring that and you still see the availability on QF call AS bach and ask for the Partner desk. Once there, explain to them your findings, give them the exact flight & date and ask if it can be processed manually. Frontline agents usually just see what you see on the AS website.

James in Phoenix
Thank you James. I will try and report back .
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What's the cheapest/easiest method to attaining MVP status?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the cheapest/easiest method to attaining MVP status?
Take 4 transcons over 2500 miles ea.......... jk. Having a 75K member designate you as MVP. Zero $ and effort.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Avios, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Barring that and you still see the availability on QF call AS back and ask for the Partner desk.
James in Phoenix
James,

No luck. Partner desk did find ONE Emirates partner award instead of the 2 awards showing available on Qantas and Expertflyer. That ONE is still one more than their website is showing, so, it seems to be a partial success. I read somewhere that Alaska seems to have half the award availability of everyone else by design as a way to devalue creatively. Don't know the truth in that but it sure seems plausible now.

Keith
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Does anyone have experience in changing flights booked with Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards points?
They seem to keep a firm grip on this reservation and phone rep on Alaska side couldn't do anything about it.
She told me form of payment from WF was 'cash or check' not 'credit card', which I don't quite understand.

Assuming some other OTAs will do the same, how does SDC work? Can Alaska take over and force the issue themselves on travel date? Might as well wait until that day to cancel if they do.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by KeithGP
James,

No luck. Partner desk did find ONE Emirates partner award instead of the 2 awards showing available on Qantas and Expertflyer. That ONE is still one more than their website is showing, so, it seems to be a partial success. I read somewhere that Alaska seems to have half the award availability of everyone else by design as a way to devalue creatively. Don't know the truth in that but it sure seems plausible now.

Keith
I can't comment on EK about a subset of availability. I wouldn't give up, call again tomorrow and continue to watch AS online.

James in SEA
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you have status with another US Carrier you may be able to do a status match.
If you are close to one of the cities in the challenge promo you can get it in 2 transcon round trips - https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS1904

Other than that is getting up in the air and flying 20K miles on Alaska flights or 25K in combination with international partners

Last edited by dayone; Mar 24, 2019 at 4:02 pm Reason: Redact quoted deleted post.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:58 am

I called to make a flight change and paid the change fee. I received an automated email of the new itinerary.

I noticed that the email lists some else's name in the spot I've replaced with Ys: "$125.00 was charged to the Mastercard card with number************XXXX held by YYYYYYYY YYYYYYYY on 03/25/2019." The name is very different from mine.

I made the change and traveler name is correct, so I'm not concerned of fraud -- my question is whether the agent just accidentally had someone's else's written in their form field, or more worrisome, whether the system may be revealing other traveler's details in these emails. The card number was correct.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
SYD-NAN-LAX-JFK
Is this a valid award routing? First two legs on Fiji and last leg on AS. Stopover in NAN. It doesn't show up on website.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fenix8o0
SYD-NAN-LAX-JFK
Is this a valid award routing? First two legs on Fiji and last leg on AS. Stopover in NAN. It doesn't show up on website.
It is, but it requires partner availability on FJ for the first two segments and AS saver award availability on LAX-JFK. Have you tried searching for the individual segments?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you want to get status-qualifying miles from a domestic AA flight, is it sufficient that the flight simply have an AS codeshare number, or do you have to explicitly book it either through AS or as the AS codeshare (if you're booking through the Ultimate Rewards or Amex portal, for instance)?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If you want to get status-qualifying miles from a domestic AA flight, is it sufficient that the flight simply have an AS codeshare number, or do you have to explicitly book it either through AS or as the AS codeshare (if you're booking through the Ultimate Rewards or Amex portal, for instance)?
As long as it is the AS codeshare flight number it will credit to Mileage Plan. It is not a requirement that it be on AS ticket stock. Even UA can sell you a ticket with AS codeshare flights operated by AA.

James
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Eurostar CB, HH D, IHG Spire, Easyjet Fight Club, Ryanair...oh, wait.
Are the Alaska phone lines always busy? I've been trying to call to book award travel but cannot even get in to a queue. The UK number just goes to a pre-recorded message ("All lines are busy, please call later") and the US direct number just has the busy tone.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As long as it is the AS codeshare flight number it will credit to Mileage Plan. It is not a requirement that it be on AS ticket stock. Even UA can sell you a ticket with AS codeshare flights operated by AA.

James
What about SDC?

Say I have a ticket with AS flights as well as flights on another airline, ticketed by the other airline. Can I still SDC my AS segments and get the fee waived? Or do the changes need to be processed by the other airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.