Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
I assume this is an AS-AS connection, which either way is extremely tight. Firstly, even if everything is on time to the dot, the minute the front door opens, your next flight starts boarding in <10 minutes. Second if you're arriving gate is in the N concourse and you have to go to the C concourse, you'd have to take the train which takes at least 5 minutes from when you get off the plane. (I believe C station is still closed so even worse you'd have to go to the main terminal and walk). Anyways, overall this is very tight and I would certainly not dawdle to the gate, I'd recommend at least an hour if possible connection time in case of any delay whether from the aircraft or yourself if you want to be safe.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, it is an AS-AS connection. If it helps, my arrival is from SFO; and my departure flight is to MSY. Appreciate any additional advice.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, it is an AS-AS connection. If it helps, my arrival is from SFO; and my departure flight is to MSY. Appreciate any additional advice.
The fact that this is an inbound from SFO, makes it all the worse. As you are aware of all the delays from low ceilings/fog and the crazy winter that you're having this year. Depending on the day, if your ticket is significantly cheaper than the other times and you do not want to switch now, I would SDC the night before to get a different flight up to SEA. But this is up to you, considering AS only flies to MSY 2x a day, you may be looking at an overnight if you don't make your connection.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
The fact that this is an inbound from SFO, makes it all the worse. As you are aware of all the delays from low ceilings/fog and the crazy winter that you're having this year. Depending on the day, if your ticket is significantly cheaper than the other times and you do not want to switch now, I would SDC the night before to get a different flight up to SEA. But this is up to you, considering AS only flies to MSY 2x a day, you may be looking at an overnight if you don't make your connection.
Noted.
Appreciate your advice very much.

If I make changes now, is the change fee $125 per pax?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Noted.
Appreciate your advice very much.

If I make changes now, is the change fee $125 per pax?
$125 change fee per passenger, plus/minus any fare difference. The $125 is waived for any Gold or 75K passengers (or if an award ticket, for any tickets booked with miles from a Gold or 75K).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
With the C gates train station closed for the rest of this year, it is a long walk from N to the outer reaches of C after taking the train to Main Terminal/D station.

I wouldn't do this connection with less than 90 minutes, but then I also hate rushing.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
$125 change fee per passenger, plus/minus any fare difference. The $125 is waived for any Gold or 75K passengers (or if an award ticket, for any tickets booked with miles from a Gold or 75K).
Good to know the change fees are waived for MVPG75K. Yes, am aware the fare differences will be tagged on the new tickets.

Thank you!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
With the C gates train station closed for the rest of this year, it is a long walk from N to the outer reaches of C after taking the train to Main Terminal/D station.

I wouldn't do this connection with less than 90 minutes, but then I also hate rushing.
Thank you for the additional info. So on my SFO-xSEA-MSY itin, at SEA what is my arrival gate (C?) and departure gate?
So now the train is out of the equation, how far a walk is it to where I need to go (boarding gate for MSY flight)?

Thank you
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thank you for the additional info. So on my SFO-xSEA-MSY itin, at SEA what is my arrival gate (C?) and departure gate?
So now the train is out of the equation, how far a walk is it to where I need to go (boarding gate for MSY flight)?

Thank you
Your arrival gate could be in the C or D concourse or the N terminal. AS at SEA is notorious for last minute gate changes. When checking in at SFO don't be surprised if there is no gate assignment on your boarding pass for the SEA-MSY segment and even if there is, make sure to confirm upon arrival in SEA as it might have changed.

If you are not familiar with SEA it may be a bit daunting but personally I wouldn't be concerned with a valid connection and a protected itinerary. In IRROPS, AS always knows where you are and where you are going. I have been on more than 1 flight that was held for connecting passengers.

Your inbound and outbound gates may be very close to each other but even if you arrive in N and depart from the far reaches of C or vise versa, 40 minutes is IMHO ample time.

James in Phoenix.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

Thank you James, for the heads-up.
I am not familiar with SEA, but will take a look at the airport map.

If I missed the flight, is there an in-terminal hotel to spend the night?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
If I missed the flight, is there an in-terminal hotel to spend the night?
Not in-terminal, but several just across the street.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Not in-terminal, but several just across the street.
That's great. Thanks.

Just in case I miss the connection, I would stay in a hotel at the airport.

For now, I probably leave my ticket as is, since any change would lose my First class upgrade. So hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
That's great. Thanks.

Just in case I miss the connection, I would stay in a hotel at the airport.

For now, I probably leave my ticket as is, since any change would lose my First class upgrade. So hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Thanks again!
Good plan. For all you know, your next flight could be the next gate over. We had one flight that was delayed almost one hour, which would cause us to miss our connecting flight. Good news was, they changed planes for our connecting flight and we were on it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Avios, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Question Emirates EK Availability Missing or Phantom?

Help. I see EK Business award availability for 2 seats on ExpertFlyer and on the Qantas search. However, when I go to the AS site and call in to try to book those, the agents do not show the availability. Is this a matter of (1) not being available to Alaska Air and their awards, (2) not something easily that can be seen by the normal Alaska agents and they should try something more advanced to find them, or (3) the ExpertFlyer and Qantas sites are just wrong and the availability is just phantom?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KeithGP
Help. I see EK Business award availability for 2 seats on ExpertFlyer and on the Qantas search. However, when I go to the AS site and call in to try to book those, the agents do not show the availability. Is this a matter of (1) not being available to Alaska Air and their awards, (2) not something easily that can be seen by the normal Alaska agents and they should try something more advanced to find them, or (3) the ExpertFlyer and Qantas sites are just wrong and the availability is just phantom?

Thanks,
Keith
EK can be booked online on the AS website. Does it show availability there? Is it is a multi-segment itinerary? If so, try looking for each segment individually. Is it a valid routing? All AS EK awards need to touch North America. HKG-DXB-JNB for example cannot be booked using AS miles while HKG-DXB-LAX can be.

A little more insight on what you are wanting to achieve would be helpful in the community helping you. Desired cabin, routing, stopovers for instance.

James in Phoenix.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Avios, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
EK can be booked online on the AS website. Does it show availability there? Is it is a multi-segment itinerary? If so, try looking for each segment individually. Is it a valid routing? All AS EK awards need to touch North America. HKG-DXB-JNB for example cannot be booked using AS miles while HKG-DXB-LAX can be.

A little more insight on what you are wanting to achieve would be helpful in the community helping you. Desired cabin, routing, stopovers for instance.

James in Phoenix.
James,

It's DFW-DXB in business class, nonstop. This is available on other days. The problem is that most of the other days match up with the availability that I see on Qantas and ExpertFlyer. I created an alert for the D saver class on EK. I received the available alert and looked on Qantas and it appears bookable through Qantas but when I search that same availability on Alaska, it's not there. My question is if it is real availability or only available to Qantas or not really available at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.