Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, only one partner on each award.

Your best bet is to probably do something like SIN-HEL(stop)-JFK on Finnair, and then pay for a cheap round trip HEL-EDI during your stopover. If you're ok with econ for that trip (it's fairly short) you can do the RT for about $200-$250.

You can connect on from JFK on AS if you want to go somewhere else in the US. It has to be AS, not AA (again, one partner per award)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Oh boy, I guess my original message wasn't terribly clear and had too many options. My bad. Lemme try again - I'll show my work .
Award #1 (on date A): AY SIN-HEL (60K miles) OR CX SIN-HKG-Europe (22.5K + 42.5K miles - 2 awards actually)
Book cash ticket from HEL or other European gateway to EDI
Award #2 (on date A+X): AA EDI-PHL (57.5K miles) OR BA EDI-LHR-PHL (60K miles) OR some other routing close to PHL
X=stopover
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Your best bet is to probably do something like SIN-HEL(stop)-JFK on Finnair, and then pay for a cheap round trip HEL-EDI during your stopover. If you're ok with econ for that trip (it's fairly short) you can do the RT for about $200-$250.
You can connect on from JFK on AS if you want to go somewhere else in the US. It has to be AS, not AA (again, one partner per award)
That's 125K miles, though.

Last edited by DrAlex; Mar 19, 2019 at 4:25 pm Reason: Correction
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:46 pm

Wow thanks for all the help everyone - this has been really useful. Good stuff to chew on, ultimately it looks like I'll be booking at least one intra-Europe cash fare, and it's going to come up to around 120k give or take.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Award #1 (on date A): AY SIN-HEL (60K miles) OR CX SIN-HKG-Europe (42.5K miles)
Nope. AS only allows CX Europe/Asia awards with HKG as the origin or destination. Any connection to or from elsewhere in Asia requires a separate award.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Nope. AS only allows CX Europe/Asia awards with HKG as the origin or destination. Any connection to or from elsewhere in Asia requires a separate award.
Crap, you're right. Forgot that tidbit. Although, it technically could be added as a third award. #1 SIN-HKG (22.5K in J), #2 HKG-Europe, #3 EDI-US?

Last edited by DrAlex; Mar 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think what this comes down to is (1) Finnair is the only partner who has awards Asia (other than HKG) to Europe, and (2) Finnair's redemption chart is ridiculous. So, there is no way to do this for fewer miles.

Personally I think that there is much to better value to be had for 120k AS miles. You can get a premium cabin TPAC round trip with stopovers in each direction for that, on a much better airline than Finnair. If you have miles or transferrable points anywhere else, I'd see if it was possible to use those instead and save your AS miles for another trip.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:22 pm

Does anyone have any information on checked bag fees on a domestic AS award on AS metal? More specifically, I am looking at those 5,000 mile awards from SF to Seattle on AS metal. Do these awards include a free checked bag, or do I still have to pay USD 30 for a checked bag? It says "Main" on the booking page.

I have tried to search the forum, but cannot seem to find anything as most questions on AS awards are on partner airlines....

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think what this comes down to is (1) Finnair is the only partner who has awards Asia (other than HKG) to Europe, and (2) Finnair's redemption chart is ridiculous. So, there is no way to do this for fewer miles.

Personally I think that there is much to better value to be had for 120k AS miles. You can get a premium cabin TPAC round trip with stopovers in each direction for that, on a much better airline than Finnair. If you have miles or transferrable points anywhere else, I'd see if it was possible to use those instead and save your AS miles for another trip.
If and only if you can find availability on SIN-HEL. I remembered I checked last year. Of the whole open calendar only a few dates available.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by hkgg
Does anyone have any information on checked bag fees on a domestic AS award on AS metal? More specifically, I am looking at those 5,000 mile awards from SF to Seattle on AS metal. Do these awards include a free checked bag, or do I still have to pay USD 30 for a checked bag? It says "Main" on the booking page.

I have tried to search the forum, but cannot seem to find anything as most questions on AS awards are on partner airlines....

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Unless you have status or an Alaska Air credit card, the checked bag fees will still apply
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by osubeavers01

Unless you have status or an Alaska Air credit card, the checked bag fees will still apply
ok. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

Has anybody submitted missing mileage requests lately?

Submitted a CX one to the email on March 14, still no sign or response at the moment
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is it permitted to trade a ticket refund credit in my wallet? It expires on 3/26/2019.

I do have access to the coupon connection.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 21, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: Redact details of an offer.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:37 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AzLarry
Is it permitted to trade a ticket refund credit in my wallet? It expires on 3/26/2019.

I do have access to the coupon connection.
Moderator Note: Any questions or discussions of trading, bartering or gifting should be posted in Coupon Connection, per FT Rules.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
SEA MCT

I booked an AS itinerary that requires a connection at SEA. I have only 40 minutes. I assume technically it is OK since the web site allowed the booking. In practice, should I run quickly to make my second flight. BTW, I am in Y on the incoming flight.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I booked an AS itinerary that requires a connection at SEA. I have only 40 minutes. I assume technically it is OK since the web site allowed the booking. In practice, should I run quickly to make my second flight. BTW, I am in Y on the incoming flight.
I assume this is an AS-AS connection, which either way is extremely tight. Firstly, even if everything is on time to the dot, the minute the front door opens, your next flight starts boarding in <10 minutes. Second if you're arriving gate is in the N concourse and you have to go to the C concourse, you'd have to take the train which takes at least 5 minutes from when you get off the plane. (I believe C station is still closed so even worse you'd have to go to the main terminal and walk). Anyways, overall this is very tight and I would certainly not dawdle to the gate, I'd recommend at least an hour if possible connection time in case of any delay whether from the aircraft or yourself if you want to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.