Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Cliff358

Question: Can I book an Alaska award flight from RNO-BKK using British Avios? I want to fly in Business but the flight is only on Alaska for the first segment. The rest is on either Japan or Korean Airlines. I've been trying to find an answer to this but haven't had any luck. Wasn't sure if this question belonged here or in the British Airways forum.
This is best to ask in BA forum - you cannot book AS with Avios.

Please do not cross post, that is not allowed on FT. Of course asking about booking BA with first leg on AS should be worded differently enough to avoid cross posting
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Cliff358
Question: Can I book an Alaska award flight from RNO-BKK using British Avios? I want to fly in Business but the flight is only on Alaska for the first segment. The rest is on either Japan or Korean Airlines. I've been trying to find an answer to this but haven't had any luck. Wasn't sure if this question belonged here or in the British Airways forum.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
This is best to ask in BA forum - you cannot book AS with Avios.

Please do not cross post, that is not allowed on FT. Of course asking about booking BA with first leg on AS should be worded differently enough to avoid cross posting
AS can be booked but you have to call in. I believe its two awards but yea check BA forum.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:01 pm

Sorry. I did not realize I was cross-posting. I have posted my question in the BA forum.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 pm

Flying Alaska for the first time tomorrow AUS-SFO on an A321 in F. What type of service can I expect. Will there be a meal? (7:30AM flight)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Flying Alaska for the first time tomorrow AUS-SFO on an A321 in F. What type of service can I expect. Will there be a meal? (7:30AM flight)
You should get the standard AS experience in FC - good and friendly.

There should be breakfast served - that is what I got from DAL (yes, that is Horizon).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Take a look through the meal thread here while you're waiting for a specific flight answer:
What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Two questions:

1) Do the "refundable and full fare" economy seats become available to all passengers at check-in (24 hours before departure) or was that fake news by the AS rep?

2) Used a GGU to upgrade a flight. Only one of the two legs had GGU space, the other leg is in economy. Can I ask to be put on the 'upgrade waitlist' if I don't hold any status with AS?

TiA!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
1) Do the "refundable and full fare" economy seats become available to all passengers at check-in (24 hours before departure) or was that fake news by the AS rep?

2) Used a GGU to upgrade a flight. Only one of the two legs had GGU space, the other leg is in economy. Can I ask to be put on the 'upgrade waitlist' if I don't hold any status with AS?
1) They do. I routinely moved ahead of the exit rows at check-in before I had status.

2) No way to waitlist for U space with the GGUs.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
1) They do. I routinely moved ahead of the exit rows at check-in before I had status.

1. All passengers except those on X fares.
jjmadison, CodeAdam10 and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jinglish

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
1. All passengers except those on X fares.
Thank you both! ^
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Can some one help with a newbie question:
If a domestic (USA) flight on AA metal but is codeshared with BA#. Do I get AS credit per BA chart?
Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:03 pm

Is there some secret or reason that horizon super saver award space (mainline seems much better) is a PITA to get your hands on?
I'm trying to catch a Sunday from SEA-YYJ in late fall and there's no availably, and there's been no availably from the day the schedule opened.

When I talked to the rep, their answer was that it's a holiday weekend (except that it isn't in either country).
I'll keep waiting, and we will just pay the cash price and check our bags bag in... but it would be nice if I could connect the two bookings.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Can some one help with a newbie question:
If a domestic (USA) flight on AA metal but is codeshared with BA#. Do I get AS credit per BA chart?
Thanks
Mileage is according to metal flow on (technically marketed and operated, but some exceptions apply). As this is a domestic flight on AA, unless it was booked as a codeshare with AS, you will not receive credit to AS.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
Mileage is according to metal flow on (technically marketed and operated, but some exceptions apply). As this is a domestic flight on AA, unless it was booked as a codeshare with AS, you will not receive credit to AS.
Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:56 pm

Help with a somewhat complicated MVPG/companion fare/GGU question:

I booked a multi-city flight JFK-SFO-SEA-KOA (V fare); KOA-SFO (M fare); SFO-EWR (M fare) using a companion code. As a MVPG I applied 2 GGU's on the JFK-KOA portion for me and my companion, and got auto-upgraded on the later portions.

Now there is a K fare available JFK-SFO-SEA-KOA (about $63 cheaper per person - in my case only $63 due to the companion fare). Wondering if it's worth that savings to changing my itinerary vs. the headache:
  1. Can I change V to K on that portion without having to actually re-book the entire itinerary (which may risk U space not being available on various portions)?
  2. If I called in and asked to change V to K, would it be free as a MVPG if my companion is only MVP?
  3. If I were able to change, would the GGU stay, or would I have to verify that U space is available on that portion and re-apply it?
  4. If I were able to change, would I lose the confirmed upgrades for the other M-fare legs?
Thanks for any advice here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.