Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. That's true on just about any airline.

Also, you have until a lot closer than "the day before travel starts". The policy used to be that no-shows got refunded, but now I think you have to cancel within 10 minutes of takeoff?

EDIT: There's no 10 minute rule. Any time before takeoff is fine.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...my-reservation

EDIT 2: Actually, that page suggests that if you no-show for a refundable ticket, it does get refunded. But I could swear that we just had a discussion about them changing that a few months ago...

EDIT 3: Indeed, hidden in the fare rules:

D/ IN ALL CASES
NO SHOW RULES OF RESTRICTED FARES APPLY

I feel that I have made this exact same point in a previous post, but memory is spotty. Despite what the website says, if you no-show on a refundable ticket, the fare rules say that you forfeit it (although given that the website contradicts this, you might have a good chance at an exception). But, you can definitely cancel right up to takeoff.

Honestly, a refundable ticket that was only refundable up until 1 day before departure wouldn't really be reasonable -- last minute cancelations are required sometimes, and they DO charge you a pretty hefty premium for refundable tickets.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes. That's true on just about any airline.

Also, you have until a lot closer than "the day before travel starts". The policy used to be that no-shows got refunded, but now I think you have to cancel within 10 minutes of takeoff?

EDIT: There's no 10 minute rule. Any time before takeoff is fine.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...my-reservation

EDIT 2: Actually, that page suggests that if you no-show for a refundable ticket, it does get refunded. But I could swear that we just had a discussion about them changing that a few months ago...
I won't be cutting it that close. And will ALL monies be refunded, including taxes and fees?
Thanks.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:06 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, everything is refunded, assuming that you booked through AS directly (OTAs often charge fees of their own)

The one thing to keep in mind here is that if you mix fare classes, the most restrictive policies apply to the WHOLE ticket.

In other words if you have F (full fare refundable first) outbound and a P (discount first) return on the same ticket, the whole thing is nonrefundable. This is sort of non-obvious so I thought I'd mention it.
philemer and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Not really a question that matters at all, just a curiosity of mine. The SEA-PIT flight is currently AS198, and is that flight number for at least a few more months. I don't know exactly when, but at some point in the future (appears to be around October), it changes to be AS412 instead. 412 also just happens to be the area code for the majority of Pittsburgh.

Any idea if this is just a coincidence, or does AS do this from time to time? I mentioned it on Twitter but got no response, probably because it doesn't really need one and it doesn't matter anyway. Like I said, I was just curious if this might have been intentional. It certainly makes remembering the flight number easier for me, having grown up near Pittsburgh!
Quite possiblely. SEA-IND is AS500 & CHS-SEA is AS787.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Weird situation: I was traveling on an AS ticketed award itinerary operated fully by AS. Due to a delay I was going to misconnect, so I called AS and they booked me on a direct AA flight in s revenue fare class.

This doesn't meet the official quals for earning AS credit since it's not a codeshare, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success crediting AS ticketed AA flight to AS?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by soartoday
Weird situation: I was traveling on an AS ticketed award itinerary operated fully by AS. Due to a delay I was going to misconnect, so I called AS and they booked me on a direct AA flight in s revenue fare class.

This doesn't meet the official quals for earning AS credit since it's not a codeshare, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success crediting AS ticketed AA flight to AS?
The only option would be to credit to AA or oneworld
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by soartoday

--Deleted--

Misread the award portion

Last edited by safari ari; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by safari ari
You could try to ask for Original Routing Credit (ORC) but it is not always a given in this situation.
Original Routing Credit (ORC)

I've had something similar happen when flying a partner, and usually AS will say they will make a note of the exception and come year end they can review and give you credit if that is the difference between status.
His original ticket was an award ticket. No chance would AS give ORC on an award ticket. I, personally, wouldn’t risk trying to pull a fast one on AS trying to credit the new ticket. I value my account (and my ethics) too much. There was a report here not too long ago of someone getting their account shutdown for something similar. I will try to find it. Only option IMO is to credit the new ticket to AA/OW.

Edit: found the thread. The account wasn’t shut down but they had their status revoked and the miles clawed back for crediting partner award flights to AS. MVPG 75K Status Revoked - What is Customer Relations email?. Not quite the same as this OP but similar enough that I wouldn’t risk my account or status by trying. And this will be easier for AS to catch as the booking was made on their own system and they can easily see that the original flight was an award flight. Plus, the OP knows it was an AS award. Completley unethical to now try and get credit from AS and try to profit because a rep did him a favor when he was going to misconnect.

Last edited by Finkface; Mar 9, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: Found the thread
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Finkface
His original ticket was an award ticket. No chance would AS give ORC on an award ticket. I, personally, wouldn’t risk trying to pull a fast one on AS trying to credit the new ticket. I value my account (and my ethics) too much. There was a report here not too long ago of someone getting their account shutdown for something similar. I will try to find it. Only option IMO is to credit the new ticket to AA/OW.

Edit: found the thread. The account wasn’t shut down but they had their status revoked and the miles clawed back for crediting partner award flights to AS. MVPG 75K Status Revoked - What is Customer Relations email?. Not quite the same as this OP but similar enough that I wouldn’t risk my account or status by trying. And this will be easier for AS to catch as the booking was made on their own system and they can easily see that the original flight was an award flight. Plus, the OP knows it was an AS award. Completley unethical to now try and get credit from AS and try to profit because a rep did him a favor when he was going to misconnect.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be wanting to abuse it. Because it just so happened to be a revenue fare, I figured why not make lemons. For what it's worth, it's a very short flight (under 500 miles), so mostly just curious what's possible.

I'll try to see if it can still credit to AA/oneworld, since I put in the AS account on the original ticket (no AA status, so it didn't matter to me when flying).

Appreciate the thoughts from all.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
How common is it for an MVP GOLD to be able to get PC upgrade for free before T-72 mark?
Anyway, I happened to check the app for seat change at T-82(Actually, T-81 because we lost an hour last night) and saw 17D,E,F open with $0 upcharge so I took 17D.

Today, a few hours into T-72 (maybe T-64ish, but definitely before T-48 for MVP upgrade window), I see someone took 17E instead of 17F.
Is this what the system sometimes does to upgrade MVP Gold to PC? (Or is this person doing this with something else in mind?)

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
You can move yourself to PC as Gold at midnight three days before the departure! Not just 72 hours. For example I am flying out tomorrow at 7pm, I move to PC Friday as the clock struck midnight. (Actually this week it let me at 11pm on Friday....)

As for 17E, that is just odd. Never had that happen. Can only speculate....
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

As a MVPG, if I book an itinerary and apply a GGU, but then later change that (for free) because U space opens up on a better itinerary, how hard is it to get the GGUs applied to the new itinerary? Can I...

1) Just make one phone call to change the itinerary and immediately have the GGUs applied, or
2) Change the flights online, then call to have the GGUs applied?

The second part seems risky because maybe the U space disappears during this process, and then I end up with a different itinerary in economy.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mizzao
As a MVPG, if I book an itinerary and apply a GGU, but then later change that (for free) because U space opens up on a better itinerary, how hard is it to get the GGUs applied to the new itinerary? Can I...

1) Just make one phone call to change the itinerary and immediately have the GGUs applied, or
2) Change the flights online, then call to have the GGUs applied?

The second part seems risky because maybe the U space disappears during this process, and then I end up with a different itinerary in economy.
You have to call Customer Care (or email but calling is faster) - not Reservations - to have the GGU deposited back into your account. And only the Gold ‘owner’ of the GGU can do this, i.e. if it was a gifted GGU, only the owner can get it back. So you can change the flight online (you will get the warning about forfeiting the GGU) and then call in to CC. Or you can call in, make the change and they will then transfer you to CC.

If you have more GGU’s in your account, you can apply them to the changed res immediately and have the used one redeposited afterwards. If you don’t have any extra, you will have to call and wait while Cust Care does it. It is pretty quick but there is the chance that someone else will snag the U space. The only time I have ever had them move me directly into U with an existing GGU and not have to do the above is when there is a schedule change on their end necessitating new flights. But a change because I want it means redepositing the GGU and reapplying.
mizzao likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slidey
Does anyone know when Alaska are likely to be running another 40% off sale on points?
Right now! 1 week only

By the way, it's not 40% off (that would be nice!) It's a 40% bonus. A little less than 29% off.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Red face please ignore this question

Question: Can I book an Alaska award flight from RNO-BKK using British Avios? I want to fly in Business but the flight is only on Alaska for the first segment. The rest is on either Japan or Korean Airlines. I've been trying to find an answer to this but haven't had any luck. Wasn't sure if this question belonged here or in the British Airways forum.

Question has been moved. Please disregard.

Last edited by Cliff358; Mar 13, 2019 at 6:03 pm Reason: posted in wrong forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.