Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
So Condor seems to be the partner to mileage run on.
I said this a long time ago but there didn't seem to be much agreement. They have relatively cheap business class fares to/from FRA.

It should be noted that their business class product is angled lie-flat, which some people absolutely hate, and others just don't care about.

Personally, I have no interest in mileage running, but I do have an interest in short vacations to new places, while flying in a premium product, and earning most of my paid airfare back in miles.

Flying somewhere just to turn around and come back, without even seeing the place, is something that I would never do.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
If an MVPG75k books 6 tix for entire family with no tier except his wife who is an MVP, how many bags can the family check in for free?
Would it be different than each elite booking 3 tix each?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
If an MVPG75k books 6 tix for entire family with no tier except his wife who is an MVP, how many bags can the family check in for free?
Would it be different than each elite booking 3 tix each?
No difference, an Elite gets two free checked bags for themselves and 2 for everyone else booked in the same reservation. 12 bags in total.

James
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No difference, an Elite gets two free checked bags for themselves and 2 for everyone else booked in the same reservation. 12 bags in total.

James
Thanks for the clarification, James.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS Peon
I'm looking for ways to use the COAST2COAST 50% off code to get the miles I need for fast tracked MVPG, and I think I found one that isn't bad. SEA-SFO-JFK, then JFK-SEA, and I'd get 50% off on the SEA-SFO-JFK route. However, when I try to book this AS won't let me, saying "There is not enough time between the connecting flights or the connection is not valid."

I'm assuming the issue is the layover time in JFK. SFO-JFK lands at 5:50 and JFK-SEA takes off at 6:55. I would assume that all of the AS gates are near each other, so is this really not enough time? I've never flown through JFK so I can't say for sure, seems like an excessive amount of time they are requiring, especially considering AS seems to give a lot of leeway to estimate flight times and tend to overestimate.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I'm looking for ways to use the COAST2COAST 50% off code to get the miles I need for fast tracked MVPG, and I think I found one that isn't bad. SEA-SFO-JFK, then JFK-SEA, and I'd get 50% off on the SEA-SFO-JFK route. However, when I try to book this AS won't let me, saying "There is not enough time between the connecting flights or the connection is not valid."
I'm assuming the issue is the layover time in JFK. SFO-JFK lands at 5:50 and JFK-SEA takes off at 6:55. I would assume that all of the AS gates are near each other, so is this really not enough time? I've never flown through JFK so I can't say for sure, seems like an excessive amount of time they are requiring, especially considering AS seems to give a lot of leeway to estimate flight times and tend to overestimate.
The minimum connection time (MCT) listed on Expert Flyer (EF) is 1 hour, so I'm not sure why it's invalid. I can put SFO-JFK (AS102) and JFK-SEA (AS623) into my cart without the error (using multi-city). How are you searching it? As a r/t or a multi-city?

ETA: Huh, getting the same thing once I add SEA, either as a r/t or as a multi-city. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by DrAlex; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
The minimum connection time (MCT) listed on Expert Flyer (EF) is 1 hour, so I'm not sure why it's invalid. I can put SFO-JFK (AS102) and JFK-SEA (AS623) into my cart without the error (using multi-city). How are you searching it? As a r/t or a multi-city?

ETA: Huh, getting the same thing once I add SEA, either as a r/t or as a multi-city. Anyone else have any thoughts?
I'm trying to book it as a round trip, see below. I can't see anything else that it would be complaining about.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:51 pm

They are trying to exclude SEA
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
They are trying to exclude SEA
It doesn't work when I'm not using the 50% off code either, so I'm not sure why they would be trying to exclude SEA.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I'm trying to book it as a round trip, see below. I can't see anything else that it would be complaining about.

What you are actually trying to do is book a circle trip. SEA-JFK via SFO is two segments, SEA-SFO & SFO-JFK. What you think is your return JFK-SEA is infact another segment closing the circle.

Rather than a simple return, A-B-A you are looking to book A-B-C-A, known as a circle trip. If you replace SFO with PDX (remember 500 EQM minimum per flight) it should work as SEA-PDX-JFK is a valid routing, while I believe SEA-SFO-JFK is not other than as a one-way. I am on a train to the Central coast so not able to confirm.

SEA-SFO-JFK-SEA is 5686 EQM while SEA-PDX-JFK return is 5908 Why not do a simple return via PDX?

James in SYD.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:14 pm

I do also see quite a bit of same errors SJC-JFK same day, coming back on a same plane.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
SEA-SFO-JFK-SEA is 5686 EQM while SEA-PDX-JFK return is 5908 Why not do a simple return via PDX?
James in SYD.
I can put SEA-SFO-JFK then JFK-SEA into the cart with other times (i.e. longer layovers) no problem. I believe this has to due with a MCT issue - it's just that the one he wants to book is 65 minutes where the MCT is supposed to only be 60.

He wants to route through SFO/SJC/LAX for the Valentine's Day Sale

ETA: Any interest in a red eye? There are a few options including BOS and PHL via SFO.

Last edited by DrAlex; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
I can put SEA-SFO-JFK then JFK-SEA into the cart with other times (i.e. longer layovers) no problem. I believe this has to due with a MCT issue - it's just that the one he wants to book is 65 minutes where the MCT is supposed to only be 60.

He wants to route through SFO/SJC/LAX for the Valentine's Day Sale

ETA: Any interest in a red eye? There are a few options including BOS and PHL via SFO.
A red eye isn't bad, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. I think that James' idea of routing through PDX isn't bad though - that might still be cheaper than going through SFO and taking advantage of the Valentine's day sale. It is a red eye, but I can get back into Seattle early enough that it wouldn't be too bad. Plus being able to actually book it is a bonus.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:45 pm

They have $99 tickets one-way SEA JFK right now anyway, even though Valentine's sale is over (saver that is, $30 more for R fare)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
When I try to book 2 tickets with the Companion Fare, which Upgrade Code should I use to get F upgrade (75K or GGU)?
Is GGU should be saved for longer flights (like trancons)?
Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.