Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
PHX lounge options

Flying out of PHX and would like to use the AA lounge which is located in a different terminal if possible. Has anyone done this? Will TSA let you in a terminal you are not flying out of? How much time would I need to get back to the AS terminal? My flight is oversold so I want to be back at the gate in plenty of time. TIA
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtnsider
Flying out of PHX and would like to use the AA lounge which is located in a different terminal if possible. Has anyone done this? Will TSA let you in a terminal you are not flying out of? How much time would I need to get back to the AS terminal? My flight is oversold so I want to be back at the gate in plenty of time. TIA

Currently AS is in Terminal 2, AA in Terminal 4. The only way to get between the two is by bus. I have an AC Membership but never treck over to T4 for AC access. Too much hassle. AA soup dujour in small paper cups with plastic spoons doesn't excite me too much.

When AS moves to T3 it may be more feasible with the Skytrain but you will still need to go landside and clear security twice.

James
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mtnsider
If you have an Alaska Lounge membership, the United Club in Terminal 2 is available to you.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours (Other partner locations)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Help me understand Companion Fare booking

Mod: if there is a better thread for this, please move it there.

This is my first time trying to book AS flights using Companion Fare (had read through similar threads here and from some blogs on same subject). Hoping to book a return and to UG to F.

I began from my profile, click Discount and companion fare code. I Checked MVP Gold Guest (or should I have checked MVP Gold 75k)
I selected those flights with F box shaded with blue color (indicating F is available). In Flight Summary page, everything looked fine. So far so good.

But after I entered pax names etc,and proceeded to select seats, only Premium Class seat map showed! (on all of my flights).
What did I do wrong?

Appreciate your suggestions and advice.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Currently AS is in Terminal 2, AA in Terminal 4. The only way to get between the two is by bus. I have an AC Membership but never treck over to T4 for AC access. Too much hassle. AA soup dujour in small paper cups with plastic spoons doesn't excite me too much.

When AS moves to T3 it may be more feasible with the Skytrain but you will still need to go landside and clear security twice.

James
PHX clubs usually have a salad bar, which is much more substantial than just soups. While not gourmet, can be replaced as a meal with a variety of beans, corn, chicken, cheese and veggies. Also the complimentary beer on tap is an actual craft. Otherwise, your statement is correct and not worth the hassle.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by allset2travel

This is my first time trying to book AS flights using Companion Fare (had read through similar threads here and from some blogs on same subject). Hoping to book a return and to UG to F.

I began from my profile, click Discount and companion fare code. I Checked MVP Gold Guest (or should I have checked MVP Gold 75k)
I selected those flights with F box shaded with blue color (indicating F is available). In Flight Summary page, everything looked fine. So far so good.

But after I entered pax names etc,and proceeded to select seats, only Premium Class seat map showed! (on all of my flights).
What did I do wrong?

If you wanted the complimentary instant upgrade, you should have selected MVPG 75K as the upgrade type. Selecting MVP Gold Guest means you would need to use Gold Guest Upgrade certificates (1 per pax, per direction).

You can upfare to an instant upgradable fare in one of two ways:
1) go into your booking, slected ‘change’, then ‘make changes to this booking’, select all of the flights but leave the info the same and choose MVP Gold 75K as the upgrade type from the dropdown box at the bottom. It will show you the additional cost to move into an instant upgradable fare.

2) call in and tell the rep you want to upfare to the cheapest 75K instant upgradable fare class (Y, S, B, M or H).

Unless you intended to use GGU’s? In that case, you can apply them to your booking online. But it sounds like you wanted the complimentary 75K upgrade, correct?

If the upfare is more than you want to pay, you can just apply GGU’s to your current booking. You need one GGU per passenger, per direction. It will cover all connecting flights in one direction, assuming each connection is less than 4 hours.

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 7, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat

What did I do wrong?

I think previous response answered a different question than you're asking. If what you're asking is why you can only select a coach seat during the purchase process, the answer is that that's just how it works. You're buying a coach seat and upgrading, so the website wants to sell you a coach seat and then upgrade you. You can either select a coach seat during booking or skip seat selection until after purchase. Once you've purchased, the upgrade should come through within minutes if U space is available (the blue F box), and then you can go in to your reservation on the website and pick an F seat.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you wanted the complimentary instant upgrade, you should have selected MVPG 75K as the upgrade type. Selecting MVP Gold Guest means you would need to use Gold Guest Upgrade certificates (1 per pax, per direction).

You can upfare to an instant upgradable fare in one of three ways:
1) cancel the booking and rebook, this time selecting MVPG 75K as the upgrade type. Make sure the blue F is still showing.
DON'T do this! You will lose your companion code and won't be able to get it back. Use the change ticket procedure. Companion codes are lost forever if you cancel a ticket with them.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by czpdx
DON'T do this! You will lose your companion code and won't be able to get it back. Use the change ticket procedure. Companion codes are lost forever if you cancel a ticket with them.
True. Nice catch. I forgot about the companion code when I was responding. I’ll edit.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:38 pm

Finkface & WrightHI
Thank you both for the quick reply. Learned a bit about upgrade via MVPG 75K vs MVPG Guest.

I actually wanted to book with MVP Gold Guest (my guest happens to be also MVPG 75K). My confusion was in seeing the blue F box that indicated F was available. Selected that (included an upfare) and move on to seat selection. Looking at the seat map, it only showed PE & Y, no F.

So what I am hearing is that in the GGU booking process, I have to first purchase the tickets (24 hour hold not count?), then see if the U fare is available. If it is, then instant UG is possible, online.

Does this mean that if I first check EF for U-fare availability before getting online to AS to book, a better strategy?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Finkface & WrightHI
Thank you both for the quick reply. Learned a bit about upgrade via MVPG 75K vs MVPG Guest.

I actually wanted to book with MVP Gold Guest (my guest happens to be also MVPG 75K). My confusion was in seeing the blue F box that indicated F was available. Selected that (included an upfare) and move on to seat selection. Looking at the seat map, it only showed PE & Y, no F.

So what I am hearing is that in the GGU booking process, I have to first purchase the tickets (24 hour hold not count?), then see if the U fare is available. If it is, then instant UG is possible, online.

Does this mean that if I first check EF for U-fare availability before getting online to AS to book, a better strategy?
You're still searching as you were, looking for the blue-background F, and not waiting until after purchase to even start looking for U space--the F is the U indicator in searches. But the upgrade doesn't go through until the ticket is actually purchased, so you can't select an F seat during checkout.
WrightHI likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:47 pm

Is there any creative routing I can do from Japan (e.g. Tokyo or Osaka) to India (eg. DEL or HYD) to take advantage of the free stopover or am I out of luck? Found out about it after I booked my flight to Tokyo, otherwise I prob would have flown to Hong Kong and done Hong Kong -> Tokyo -> Delhi.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
This is probably a dumb question...

Does snagging the PC upgrade at midnight-pre-48 hours negatively impact the odds of getting an F upgrade?

(MVP on E75 SAN-MCI if it matters)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by twitch76
This is probably a dumb question...
Does snagging the PC upgrade at midnight-pre-48 hours negatively impact the odds of getting an F upgrade?
(MVP on E75 SAN-MCI if it matters)
Nope, it should not.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
You're still searching as you were, looking for the blue-background F, and not waiting until after purchase to even start looking for U space--the F is the U indicator in searches. But the upgrade doesn't go through until the ticket is actually purchased, so you can't select an F seat during checkout.
Ding!
Thank you. That clarifies my confusion. Appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.