Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jinglish
1) I've heard of situations where GAs have taken pity on people "misconnecting" across separate tickets and reaccommodated them without fees, but you won't be protected in any official capacity and shouldn't expect to be.
2) Not that I'm aware of.
Thanks. On to plan "B". ^
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Can you reserve food on SkyWest E175?

I thought I had done it before, but the website suggests that you can only reserve food on flights operated by Alaska.

Second question: what sort of food offering can I expect in coach on SAN-MCI on SkyWest? Im cautiously optimistic for an F upgrade, but want to make sure my Plan B isnt something that means Im starving when I arrive at my destination.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Grateful for this thread! Is the 500-mile minimum valid for all customers, or just MVP? SEA-PDX trips (multiple for year) might be in our near future since AS Basic are about half the price of DL's. Not that it will get us to MVP status (nor by segments, not that many trips), but every little bit helps! Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Grateful for this thread! Is the 500-mile minimum valid for all customers, or just MVP? SEA-PDX trips (multiple for year) might be in our near future since AS Basic are about half the price of DL's. Not that it will get us to MVP status (nor by segments, not that many trips), but every little bit helps! Thanks.
Other than CX all AS & Partner Airlines provide a 500 mile minimum to all Mileage Plan members regardless of status.

James
Gig103 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AS Peon
Has AS communicated if the double miles promo to/from PAE will be extended because the start date was pushed back?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
As an MVP gold, I should be able to still cancel my ticket at the boarding area after ticket on the app were scanned by TSA, right?
Can a GA help with this?

Also, if I had my bag checked in already, it could be a total disaster. Do I still have an option to cancel past check-point?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
I tried searching for this but couldn't get the keywords right. My wife and I are flying out tomorrow morning and I'm in boarding group B (MVP) and she's in D (non-MVP). This is the first time since the boarding groups were implemented that we aren't in the same group, will there be any issue boarding at the same time in group B? Just curious if anyone has any anecdotal data points to share.

We've never had a problem boarding at the same time before there were boarding groups, and I wrongly assumed we'd always be in the same group as long as I bought the tickets together.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by pbelmore
I tried searching for this but couldn't get the keywords right. My wife and I are flying out tomorrow morning and I'm in boarding group B (MVP) and she's in D (non-MVP). This is the first time since the boarding groups were implemented that we aren't in the same group, will there be any issue boarding at the same time in group B? Just curious if anyone has any anecdotal data points to share.

We've never had a problem boarding at the same time before there were boarding groups, and I wrongly assumed we'd always be in the same group as long as I bought the tickets together.
I often travel with family in a different boarding group. Ive never encountered any problems with them boarding with me. I just make sure to tell the gate agent that theyre traveling with me before they scan their boarding pass
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
I often travel with family in a different boarding group. Ive never encountered any problems with them boarding with me. I just make sure to tell the gate agent that theyre traveling with me before they scan their boarding pass
Thank you! That's what I figured would be the actual practice, just thought I'd double check here. Both boarding passes are on my phone so it should be pretty easy.
osubeavers01 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Question regarding award fees.

Tickets were booked when wife was AS 75K in Dec 2018. Now she has been uncerimoniously dropped to General Member and we would like to make a change to the unflown ticket. Does the status at time of booking matter or at time of making the change?

Also I have noticed that on almost all AA two segment flights, the shorter of the two is available in F and the longer leg is available in Y, but AS of course charges F award fees. Have others seen that too?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Question regarding award fees.

Tickets were booked when wife was AS 75K in Dec 2018. Now she has been uncerimoniously dropped to General Member and we would like to make a change to the unflown ticket. Does the status at time of booking matter or at time of making the change?
If AS allowed status at time of booking it would be the outlier. Pretty sure you are stuck with change fee

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Also I have noticed that on almost all AA two segment flights, the shorter of the two is available in F and the longer leg is available in Y, but AS of course charges F award fees. Have others seen that too?
SOP for all US based (and I'm sure other) airlines.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
As an MVP gold, I should be able to still cancel my ticket at the boarding area after ticket on the app were scanned by TSA, right?
Can a GA help with this?

Also, if I had my bag checked in already, it could be a total disaster. Do I still have an option to cancel past check-point?
If you are not checking bags (but have checked in), this shouldn't be a problem. It's not like TSA does anything to communicate to the airline you are in the secure area. GA might be less willing to do it than a CS rep, but YMMV.

If you have a checked bag, it should/would just take more work. I had a situation last year where I was supposed to connect in SAN, but the inbound was late and I knew I would misconnect. AS put me on a direct DL flight AND got my bags retagged all from inside security at the CS desk. I would think if you have a bag checked and cancel they could just spit out your bag with an arriving flight or maybe one of the baggage agents could retrieve it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pbelmore

Here's the policy in the blog if you happen to run into any opposition (unlikely): Families can continue to board together as needed
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by DrAlex
If you are not checking bags (but have checked in), this shouldn't be a problem. It's not like TSA does anything to communicate to the airline you are in the secure area. GA might be less willing to do it than a CS rep, but YMMV.

If you have a checked bag, it should/would just take more work. I had a situation last year where I was supposed to connect in SAN, but the inbound was late and I knew I would misconnect. AS put me on a direct DL flight AND got my bags retagged all from inside security at the CS desk. I would think if you have a bag checked and cancel they could just spit out your bag with an arriving flight or maybe one of the baggage agents could retrieve it.
Got it. Thanks a ton, DrAlex
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:55 pm
vji

Have an AS award flight connecting to CX F on the same AS award ticket. If AS is late on the first flight and I miss the CX flight (let's say it's the only one out of that city that day), what are my options? Contractually they are only supposed to get me to HKG but would I lose my spot in F?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.