Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:18 pm

IF U is not confirmable should I apply a gold guest upgrade at time of booking?

IF U is not confirmable should I apply a gold guest upgrade at time of booking?
it seems very convoluted?
Am I better of booking in confirmed premium economy and THEN requesting standby for F

NO BLUE F SPACE can I confirm upgrade using a guest gold into premium economy and waitlist for freebie F?

I am only MID tier Gold MVP
not MVP 75K
I thought of intuitively figured out that with no cancellation of change fee ( of than fare difference if more that I should book two one ways.

I also see that I jump up a few 2 or 3 fare basis for nominal amount $40 if that --- would you do this as a mid-tier , If NYC – SFO nonstop. Not a two-hour flight. Traveling solo. Thanks to all.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
No waitlisting for GGU. If there is not space you have to wait and watch.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I have a connecting flight and don't clear to first class at the 24-hour mark for the first leg, is it still possible to do so for the second leg, and if so when would I see it? 24 hours from check-in for the first leg, or 24 hours from departure of the second leg?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If I have a connecting flight and don't clear to first class at the 24-hour mark for the first leg, is it still possible to do so for the second leg, and if so when would I see it? 24 hours from check-in for the first leg, or 24 hours from departure of the second leg?
It’s definitely possible to be upgraded on only one leg of a multi-segment trip. What is your status level? If MVP, I believe you are in the eligible upgrade window starting 48hrs before your flight. Just because you’re not upgraded at the start of your window, that doesn’t mean you won’t be. Upgrades are processed clear up through boarding. At 24 hrs prior to the flight though, you can see the upgrade waitlist on the app to get a better idea of what your chances might be. Note that names don’t appear on the list until they’re checked in, so even if in a high position initially, you may move down the list as people with higher status and/or fare class check in.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

It’s definitely possible to be upgraded on only one leg of a multi-segment trip. What is your status level? If MVP, I believe you are in the eligible upgrade window starting 48hrs before your flight. Just because you’re not upgraded at the start of your window, that doesn’t mean you won’t be. Upgrades are processed clear up through boarding. At 24 hrs prior to the flight though, you can see the upgrade waitlist on the app to get a better idea of what your chances might be. Note that names don’t appear on the list until they’re checked in, so even if in a high position initially, you may move down the list as people with higher status and/or fare class check in.
Yeah, I'm MVP and I've had upgrades on Alaska before, but I usually do nonstops so I was specifically unsure about how my situation will work with regard to where you skip the upgrade list and just go directly to being upgraded at the 24 hour mark. I'm eyeballing the seats on both flights and based on how things look I'm thinking the second flight as a better chance than the first.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Yeah, I'm MVP and I've had upgrades on Alaska before, but I usually do nonstops so I was specifically unsure about how my situation will work with regard to where you skip the upgrade list and just go directly to being upgraded at the 24 hour mark. I'm eyeballing the seats on both flights and based on how things look I'm thinking the second flight as a better chance than the first.
Each flight is independent of the others so if you have a multi-segment itinerary, for the purposes of upgrades, it is equivalent to having a separate PNR for each flight. As noted, an MVP can be upgraded from 48 hours if U space opens and you are "next" on the list. Moreso lately, less U is opening up at or prior to the elite status windows while more are processed when the flight moves to gate control at approximately one hour before flight. At that time, U becomes irrelevant as they will process upgrades for all remaining F seats regardless if U or F.

Time of flight, day of the week, route popularity, Elite heavy cities and a myriad of other factors can increase or decrease the likelihood of an upgrade. Add in upgrade processor anaomolies, people sniping U before the processor runs and it really is hit and miss. Flights that look hopeful may lead to disappointment while flights that seem unlikely can be an unanswerable surprise. Gate agents can wrinkle things up too.

Good luck, hope they come through for you.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Appreciate your help

A total noobie here. Recently status matched from AA EXP to AS MVP 75K. Despite trying to suck up as much info re AS FF program as possible, I have couple of questions requiring help. Thanks in advance!(1) I have a balance of a oneworld DONE3 itineray of 8 flights to be flown soon. The itinerary is: LAX-DOH (QR) – EDI (QR) – DOH (QR) – DUB (QR) –HKG (CX) – BOM (CX) – KUL (MH) – NRT (JL)Of the above carriers, only CX, JL are partners of AS? It is no longer possible to get AS credit for AA flight, am I correct?(2) Are there minimum # of AS flights (on AS metal) required to maintain 75K?I have a new BofA visa credit card. Please help identify a few relevant web links in this forum (or elsewhere) to gain more info re B1G1 Companion Fare Offer.Appreciate all your suggestions!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by allset2travel
A total noobie here. Recently status matched from AA EXP to AS MVP 75K. Despite trying to suck up as much info re AS FF program as possible, I have couple of questions requiring help. Thanks in advance!(1) I have a balance of a oneworld DONE3 itineray of 8 flights to be flown soon. The itinerary is: LAX-DOH (QR) – EDI (QR) – DOH (QR) – DUB (QR) –HKG (CX) – BOM (CX) – KUL (MH) – NRT (JL)Of the above carriers, only CX, JL are partners of AS? It is no longer possible to get AS credit for AA flight, am I correct?(2) Are there minimum # of AS flights (on AS metal) required to maintain 75K?I have a new BofA visa credit card. Please help identify a few relevant web links in this forum (or elsewhere) to gain more info re B1G1 Companion Fare Offer.Appreciate all your suggestions!
Correct, CX and JL only partners in that list. Some AA flights still earn (international flights, and code shares with AS, see details), though they'll credit as partner earning w/ higher thresholds for status. No minimum AS metal segments, though benefits of status outside of bonus miles earned are pretty much nothing (short of some international partner lounge access) on partner metal.

Helpful Companion Fare Links:
Alaska Companion Fare FAQ
A Blogger's "Complete Guide" with even more details (some a bit outdated, but generally pretty helpful/accurate)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
All AA international flights are still eligible for credit to Mileage Plan. It would go towards the AS+Partner total which requires 90K to achieve MVPG75K. Attaining MVPG75K can be reached by flying 75K on AS metal or 90K AS+Partners or 90 segments so it would be whichever threshold you pass first. If you will be flying predominantly AS metal you may pass the 75K AS threshold before 90K even after crediting the Partner flights. Of course class and any COS (Class of service) Bonuses are EQM too so if they add up to more than 15K it would reduce the number of AS Metal miles as you would pass the 90K threshold before 75K on AS Metal only. The American Airlines chart you can find on the AS website will prevail for miles earned based on booking class.

There is no minimum AS Metal flight requirements to attain Elite Status so you could do that strickly on partner flights by miles or segments and never see the inside of an AS Plane.

AS codeshares some AA flights domestically, PHX-SJC for example, and if they are Marketed by AS but operated by AA they will still accrue Miles to Mileage Plan. In this case, a mile is a mile for EQM.

In all instances you will also receive your 125% Elite Bonus as an MVOG75K.

Yes, CX & JL flights can be credited to Mileage Plan but no others from you lst.

James
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
If you reach a higher tier after first leg of two-segment flight, do they give higher bonus on second leg based on new tier?
I know it takes time for the system to update and bonus will be given based upon your previous lower tier but will they adjust it if I call?
Depending on the length of second segment, it could be quite a bit.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
If you reach a higher tier after first leg of two-segment flight, do they give higher bonus on second leg based on new tier?
I know it takes time for the system to update and bonus will be given based upon your previous lower tier but will they adjust it if I call?
Depending on the length of second segment, it could be quite a bit.
Not automatically, but maybe on request. Reports in other threads have been a mixed bag. It's certainly worth a shot (maybe even a HUACA) if it matters to you. Please do report back on how it went! And congratulations on your forthcoming new status!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Not automatically, but maybe on request. Reports in other threads have been a mixed bag. It's certainly worth a shot (maybe even a HUACA) if it matters to you. Please do report back on how it went! And congratulations on your forthcoming new status!
Thanks a lot! Will certainly report back in a week or so.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Correct, CX and JL only partners in that list. Some AA flights still earn (international flights, and code shares with AS, see details), though they'll credit as partner earning w/ higher thresholds for status. No minimum AS metal segments, though benefits of status outside of bonus miles earned are pretty much nothing (short of some international partner lounge access) on partner metal.

Helpful Companion Fare Links:
Alaska Companion Fare FAQ
A Blogger's "Complete Guide" with even more details (some a bit outdated, but generally pretty helpful/accurate)
Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
All AA international flights are still eligible for credit to Mileage Plan. It would go towards the AS+Partner total which requires 90K to achieve MVPG75K. Attaining MVPG75K can be reached by flying 75K on AS metal or 90K AS+Partners or 90 segments so it would be whichever threshold you pass first. If you will be flying predominantly AS metal you may pass the 75K AS threshold before 90K even after crediting the Partner flights. Of course class and any COS (Class of service) Bonuses are EQM too so if they add up to more than 15K it would reduce the number of AS Metal miles as you would pass the 90K threshold before 75K on AS Metal only. The American Airlines chart you can find on the AS website will prevail for miles earned based on booking class.

There is no minimum AS Metal flight requirements to attain Elite Status so you could do that strickly on partner flights by miles or segments and never see the inside of an AS Plane.

AS codeshares some AA flights domestically, PHX-SJC for example, and if they are Marketed by AS but operated by AA they will still accrue Miles to Mileage Plan. In this case, a mile is a mile for EQM.

In all instances you will also receive your 125% Elite Bonus as an MVOG75K.

Yes, CX & JL flights can be credited to Mileage Plan but no others from you lst.

James
James,
Appreciate your helpful info. Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:10 pm
vji

Booking an intl. award ticket for my friend with my miles. I am gold, he is not. Will I incur cancellation fees past 24 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.