Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Alaska just cancelled SFO-LAX 6am flight tomorrow morning (7.5 hours ahead) quoting Air Traffic Control.
They put me in a later flight but I need to be in LA before 9am so it doesn't work.
This is awfully frustrating.

All other airlines leaving for LAX around 6am are fine. Delta, SW, AA.
These are about $135 more expensive now than when we booked our AS.

How should I approach Alaska about it?
Same thing happened to me today (14th), just the other way around. Received notification at 10pm the night before that AS1935 (LAX-SFO) was cancelled due to ATC. Moved onto 1927 on the A321 which then went mech for 5+ hrs. Combined with the weather in both LAX/SFO I just cut my losses and bought a new ticket on DL. Will still write in to AS for compensation or perhaps try for a refund of the initial fare.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Alaska just cancelled SFO-LAX 6am flight tomorrow morning (7.5 hours ahead) quoting Air Traffic Control.
They put me in a later flight but I need to be in LA before 9am so it doesn't work.
This is awfully frustrating.

All other airlines leaving for LAX around 6am are fine. Delta, SW, AA.
These are about $135 more expensive now than when we booked our AS.

How should I approach Alaska about it?
Always call and explain your situation. Alaska continues to be more empathetic than any other US airline. They would likely reaccommodate you on another airline in your situation.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I booked an Emirates First award with Mileage plan Miles from MUC-DXB layover and then DXB-SFO as I wanted to experience the A380 and all it offers. Would it be worth asking alaska to Add the SFO-SEA segment on manually or just stick with the ticket I bought separately for the last leg? MUC -DXB -SFO - SEA was not a routing offered when booking
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I booked an Emirates First award with Mileage plan Miles from MUC-DXB layover and then DXB-SFO as I wanted to experience the A380 and all it offers. Would it be worth asking alaska to Add the SFO-SEA segment on manually or just stick with the ticket I bought separately for the last leg? MUC -DXB -SFO - SEA was not a routing offered when booking
Emirates also flies to SEA but only the 777. That is likely why it didn't show as a routing option when you used multi-city for your DXB stop enroute to SFO for the A380. The showers are awesome. I would call AS and see if they will add the domestic leg for you. Keep in mind though, it will incure a $125 change fee if you don't have a waiver. It may be more cost efficient to just purchase a revenue ticket as you have to SEA but make sure you have enough time to connect as you won't be protected in the case of a misconnect.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Would it be worth asking alaska to Add the SFO-SEA segment on manually or just stick with the ticket I bought separately for the last leg? MUC -DXB -SFO - SEA was not a routing offered when booking
Is Saver Award Main Cabin or First available when searching on the SFO-SEA segment alone? It needs to be saver to be joined to a partner award, in addition to possible routing rules as mentioned by Flying for Fun above.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Always call and explain your situation. Alaska continues to be more empathetic than any other US airline. They would likely reaccommodate you on another airline in your situation.
That was my experience the one time one of my flights was canceled on short notice (crew rest). They had everyone lining up at the airport to talk to ticketing agents, but obviously that was a huge line so I called the MVP line. They wanted to put me on another AS flight the following evening. I said that that was too late. They put me on hold for a few minutes and rebooked me on AA early the following morning (the canceled flight was a red-eye so that was the earliest possible).

The AA ticket was about $265 (the price showed up and I got AA miles and EQD), and they also proactively gave me a $250 voucher. I think I paid $127 for my ticket (SFO-NYC), so they definitely lost money on that exchange. Obviously not an ideal situation, but AS did everything in their power to make it right.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Thanks all for valuable inputs. All I heard repeatedly was "because of weather and Air Traffic Control" and "nothing we can do"
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:45 pm

requirements lowered for mid-tier elite??

never mind , my bad. sorry

Last edited by writetorich; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:49 pm Reason: misread alaska website
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Why was AS 791 Cancelled

I should know this but can't find an answer. AS 791 EWR-SEA today was cancelled. I'm trying to figure out the reason. I dont see it on flight aware. Where can I find out?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
I should know this but can't find an answer. AS 791 EWR-SEA today was cancelled. I'm trying to figure out the reason. I dont see it on flight aware. Where can I find out?
You can subscribe to Expert Flyer. Here's what they list:

CX - CREW REST OR SCHED - CANCELLATION
6EWR/DX XCLD CREW REST OR SCHED - CANCELLATION *0036
1SEA/LX XCLD CREW REST OR SCHED - CANCELLATION *0036
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AS Peon
I'm booked in X on 472 SEA-SAN today. I booked it knowing that X has the limited seat selection, and I didn't choose a seat. When check in opened up, I was assigned a seat in the back of the bus. Is there any chance that I could be moved to a different seat if I ask the gate agent? Or will they see the big X on fare class and say they can't do anything? EF shows one aisle seat and a few middle seats scattered about ahead of me in the cabin. I wouldn't really be picky about where, I'd just like to be able to escape my metal tube faster in SAN.

Kicking myself for booking X on my first flight after earning MVP, but my chances of an upgrade were slim anyway...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I'm booked in X on 472 SEA-SAN today. I booked it knowing that X has the limited seat selection, and I didn't choose a seat. When check in opened up, I was assigned a seat in the back of the bus. Is there any chance that I could be moved to a different seat if I ask the gate agent? Or will they see the big X on fare class and say they can't do anything? EF shows one aisle seat and a few middle seats scattered about ahead of me in the cabin. I wouldn't really be picky about where, I'd just like to be able to escape my metal tube faster in SAN.

Kicking myself for booking X on my first flight after earning MVP, but my chances of an upgrade were slim anyway...
My guess is that they'll see its a Saver fare and say no, but you might get a sympathetic gate agent who is willing to move you. Doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd find a time when they don't seem super busy and be prepared to stick with your current seat.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by tom911
You can subscribe to Expert Flyer. Here's what they list:
thank you! I have EF but didnt realize that was a function.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

calculating credit

How does Alaska calculate the mileage earned on a partner flight? Say it states you get 100% base miles and 50% class of service, and the flight was 5,000 miles. There is a miles section and a bonus section. And say you have MVP gold status. What would be in the base miles? Is it only 5,000 or is it 7,250 for 150%? Is the bonus per your status (100% as MVP) a bonus after the class of service (and additional bonus, for some airlines) is calculated, or just on the base?

Thanks

Never mind. It states only on base miles. So I guess the "miles" column is just for however many miles the flight was flown, and the bonus includes class of service/additional bonus/status bonus altogether.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
How does Alaska calculate the mileage earned on a partner flight? Say it states you get 100% base miles and 50% class of service, and the flight was 5,000 miles. There is a miles section and a bonus section. And say you have MVP gold status. What would be in the base miles? Is it only 5,000 or is it 7,250 for 150%? Is the bonus per your status (100% as MVP) a bonus after the class of service (and additional bonus, for some airlines) is calculated, or just on the base?

Thanks

Never mind. It states only on base miles. So I guess the "miles" column is just for however many miles the flight was flown, and the bonus includes class of service/additional bonus/status bonus altogether.
Yes, Alaska doesn't break it down for you. The COS which is also EQM is lumped into the bonus total. In your example with MVPG Status:

Base 5000 EQM/RDM
COS 2500 50% EQM/RDM
Total 7500 EQM/RDM

Extra Bonus 5000 (100%) RDM only
Elite Bonus 5000 (100%) RDM only

In activity the flight will show as 5000 as the base and 12,500 as the bonus for a toal of 17,500 Miles.

James
tobikosan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.