Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by DrAlex
I can tell you the answer is not what you want to hear. ....:
Of course I saw that thread right after I posted... Pretty bummed about this. Thank god I was still in the cancel window with the Chase UR portal. In theory - I'll get all my points back (eventually).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:52 pm

I need to add SEA-YYJ to an existing award, but the agent says there are no seats in the right fare container.
What is the bucket I should be monitoring in experflyer? The award originates in Japan on JAL in U
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sinecure
I need to add SEA-YYJ to an existing award, but the agent says there are no seats in the right fare container.
What is the bucket I should be monitoring in experflyer? The award originates in Japan on JAL in U
Saver First or Main Cabin can be combined with a partner J award. Look for A (saver F) or W (saver coach).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Saver First or Main Cabin can be combined with a partner J award. Look for A (saver F) or W (saver coach).
SEA-YYJ is on the prop, so no FC seats - would / could A even be offered?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
SEA-YYJ is on the prop, so no FC seats - would / could A even be offered?
Nope, not unless move to the Embraer. So W only on prop routes
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I can tell you the answer is not what you want to hear. Here's the most recent thread on the subject: AS Companion Fare + UR Points. Cliff Notes say that you will not be able to cancel and credit to your wallet - loophole seems closed
I didn't even realize this was a loophole despite using it numerous times over the past year with normal cancellations/ticket changes. I figured it was just like cancelling any other ticket where you get the dollar value deposited as wallet credit. However I seem have have inadvertently discovered this issue yesterday as well with trying to cancel a booking made through Chase. We had a positioning flight as part of a larger award and now that flight was no longer needed.

In the past I've always been able to call AS (never been able to do online) and cancel for wallet credit. This time it turned into an extended discussion starting with AS and ending with Chase Travel. AS said while they are used to dealing with cancelling Chase tickets, this particular one was booked weirdly enough that they were unsure of how to even cancel because of how restrictive the ticket wording was and they couldn't guarantee any remaining future value. They suggested calling Chase and requesting them to cancel on their end so it's fully documented with them. As for the cancellation fee, they said Chase would need to call the Alaska Travel Agency support line and request a waiver from AS after validating both of our MVPG statuses (which they did). After all that was done, now I only have ticket numbers with the value for future use and no wallet credit. Still unsure if I would need to call Chase to book with the old ticket numbers or AS, but that's a drama for another day.
be_rettSEA and DrAlex like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro/Alaska Airlines MVP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Bonvoy Gold/Emerald Club Exec
Hi all,

Happy new year!

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one?

Thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
So far, we’ve had no major problems getting into an Admirals Club, as long as you have a boarding pass for that day. We’ve had slight problems where our boarding pass brought up only our original departure city in their system, solved when they reprinted them on AA stock. I believe SFO is the only lounge unavailable to Alaska Lounge members.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by carmelsown
Hi all,

Happy new year!

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one?

Thank you!
I use mine twice weekly at locations that AS doesn't even serve or has a small presence, i.e CLT, DEN, JFK, ORD, PHX and have never had an issue. Without an AL card though it's a bit of a pain since they scan your boarding pass and realize you have no AC membership attached to it, so you have to tell them you have an AL membership.

Last edited by safari ari; Jan 8, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
I use mine twice weekly at locations that AS doesn't even serve or has a small presence, i.e CLT, DEN, JFK, ORD, PHX and have never had an issue. Without an AL card though it's a bit of a pain since they scan your boarding pass and realize you have no AC membership attached to it, so you have to tell them you have an AL membership.
Can’t you just pull up your AL card on the Alaska app? That’s what I usually do for the United partner lounge at DCA. I show the front desk my phone with the Alaska lounge card and hold out my paper boarding pass and ask which one they want first. Sometimes they need both or sometimes just one or the other; it seems to change each trip
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
You can store the AL card in your wallet or find it in the app under the account tab. I have offered my card (on my phone) several times but typically the AC staff person says they just need my BP as they know my AL membership shows up on my AS BP. (in the AS BP on my phone, the first line is my name, next line has Mileage Plan MVP Gold 7K Alaska Lounge)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by carmelsown
Hi all,

Happy new year!

Thank you!
The AL membership is somewhat inferior to the Admirals Club membership in that you can only use the club if you're flying AS or AA. The full AC membership doesn't care which airline you're flying.

The only places I've had difficulty were at GIG and EZE. Both agents were highly motivated to figure out how to give me access, but had no idea which buttons to press. In GIG, the agent let me into the lounge and said she would make calls - it took ~20 minutes. She commented "I've never met someone from Alaska before!"
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by sturges
The AL membership is somewhat inferior to the Admirals Club membership in that you can only use the club if you're flying AS or AA. The full AC membership doesn't care which airline you're flying.
Though that changes for AA in November, right?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by williwaw
Good point. Hadn't seen this yet, but just found an article discussing the changes.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by williwaw
Originally Posted by sturges
Good point. Hadn't seen this yet, but just found an article discussing the changes.
Plus AC membership fee goes up. But the Executive CC is a happy medium where you pay the 450$ fee get AA and AS access and up to 10 people get AA access(only) through authorized members.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.