Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rustykettel

And purchased day passes can be used for multiple entries/locations departing/arriving/connecting for 24 hours with receipt. I assume complimentary day passes are the same, but not having done so the OP might confirm with the lounge concierge.
Have you done this? I was explicitly told that this wasn’t true once at PDX.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
There's only Alaska lounges at four of those, so you could visit all of them: SEA (3), ANC, JFK, PDX.

I haven't brought in a guest with mine, but the rules for those that purchase day passes state this:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ounge/day-pass
Tom,
Thanks. Very helpful.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Have you done this? I was explicitly told that this wasn’t true once at PDX.
Yes, did it back in December on a mileage run and incidentally purchased at PDX. PDX-JFK-SEA-PDX all within 24 hours. I asked before purchasing how it worked and concierge said to just show the credit card receipt with the date/time. No issues at any location.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Yes, did it back in December on a mileage run and incidentally purchased at PDX. PDX-JFK-SEA-PDX all within 24 hours. I asked before purchasing how it worked and concierge said to just show the credit card receipt with the date/time. No issues at any location.
Good to know. I'll roll the dice next time I have a SEA connection.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

How soon can I charge on a new AS credit card once I apply and approved

Looking to buy a chunk of AS miles before the 50% sale goes off in a week...but wanted to do so after applying for a new AS card. ( haven't had one in years) Is there a way to charge before the actual card arrives since it takes 7-10 business days and I would miss the opportunity for the 50% bonus. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Looking to buy a chunk of AS miles before the 50% sale goes off in a week...but wanted to do so after applying for a new AS card. ( haven't had one in years) Is there a way to charge before the actual card arrives since it takes 7-10 business days and I would miss the opportunity for the 50% bonus. Thanks.
You will need to have your physical card in hand. Once you receive your card, you will need to activate it before using it. You will also need the 3 digit code off the back of the card to make an online purchase. Purchasing AS miles does count towards minimum spend.

James
Old May 12, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You will need to have your physical card in hand. Once you receive your card, you will need to activate it before using it. You will also need the 3 digit code off the back of the card to make an online purchase. Purchasing AS miles does count towards minimum spend.

James
Thanks..... I guess I am coming into this too late for this 50% bonus...... I'm not in a big rush....gathering miles for a spring 2021 trip.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:20 pm

Thanks..... I guess I am coming into this too late for this 50% bonus...... I'm not in a big rush....gathering miles for a spring 2021 trip.
AS has sales quite regularly. I wouldn't be buying now for a spring 2021 award. The earliest you could book would be in about a year from now and a lot can happen in that time. You are better off finding inventory for the awards you want and then purchasing miles to supplement what you have than speculatively purchasing now.

The only caveat is that if you are not an AS Elite you are limited to purchasing 150K (before bonus) miles in a given year. If you need more, purchase some in December and some next spring when you are booking.

James
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
FYI - buying miles does not qualify for 3x miles per dollar. The transaction is through points.com and does not code as an Alaska Air purchase.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
FYI - buying miles does not qualify for 3x miles per dollar. The transaction is through points.com and does not code as an Alaska Air purchase.
Yes, excellent point! Thanks for bringing that up for those not aware. For those not requiring minimum spend other cards may be better suited.

James
Old May 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

AS has sales quite regularly. I wouldn't be buying now for a spring 2021 award. The earliest you could book would be in about a year from now and a lot can happen in that time. You are better off finding inventory for the awards you want and then purchasing miles to supplement what you have than speculatively purchasing now.

The only caveat is that if you are not an AS Elite you are limited to purchasing 150K (before bonus) miles in a given year. If you need more, purchase some in December and some next spring when you are booking.

James
We only need 140K each ( BA F RT...and yes I know about the taxes) . My only concern actually is that between now and the time we book ( about a year out for 2021)...that there might be an increase in the redemption award and I'll have to buy more. AS BA awards are kind of a steal at 70K OW.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If you apply online and are approved immediately, BoA may provide the credit card number during the approval for immediate use (such as if you click the credit card application from a ticket purchase, so you can make that purchase on the new card). No guarantees and there may be restrictions on purchases until the physical card is received and activated.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
If you apply online and are approved immediately, BoA may provide the credit card number during the approval for immediate use (such as if you click the credit card application from a ticket purchase, so you can make that purchase on the new card). No guarantees and there may be restrictions on purchases until the physical card is received and activated.
A quick comment on this: I applied during a ticket purchase a while back and was offered the "immediately use your new card for this purchase" option. I was instantly approved for a Signature card and never received my card number.

I called BofA to ask about it and the agent said something to the tune of, "that isn't possible. we never offer the card number until we mail it. the application was wrong if it told you that."

So YMMV on whether or not you actually receive your card number immediately.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

We only need 140K each ( BA F RT...and yes I know about the taxes) . My only concern actually is that between now and the time we book ( about a year out for 2021)...that there might be an increase in the redemption award and I'll have to buy more. AS BA awards are kind of a steal at 70K OW.
I don't view BA F for 70K as a steal personally especially when the surcharge is often equivalent to an economy ticket purchase. In essence you are burning 70K for an upgrade from Y to F. If you are looking to fly 1A on a 747 that opportunity may not be available in 2021 either.

Is it possible for the other party to also apply for the Credit Card? You could each purchase miles as required for your own redemptions even if booked on the same PNR. In my experience, AS is good at taking points from both accounts for a redemption for the same parties. I would be more comfortable sitting on two sign-up bonuses than buying miles now because of the current offer.

James
Old May 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I don't view BA F for 70K as a steal personally especially when the surcharge is often equivalent to an economy ticket purchase. In essence you are burning 70K for an upgrade from Y to F. If you are looking to fly 1A on a 747 that opportunity may not be available in 2021 either.

Is it possible for the other party to also apply for the Credit Card? You could each purchase miles as required for your own redemptions even if booked on the same PNR. In my experience, AS is good at taking points from both accounts for a redemption for the same parties. I would be more comfortable sitting on two sign-up bonuses than buying miles now because of the current offer.

James
While it isn't a steal, I really enjoyed 1A on SEA-LHR last year on the 744. Then again that was before the surcharged increased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.