Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pcoll
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cragAK
Can I get a rough idea of what might be offered on a 7:55PM SEA-LAX flight? Wondering how much dinner I should eat before hand, if any. The meal in app states "Snack".
Probably something like a half of a small sandwich and a small bowl of soup, or the whole sandwich
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75, United Mileageplus
AS330 SEA-SJC
Snack (2:30PM departure)
no menus

Protein plate or the turkey burger. I had the latter which I enjoyed, though it could have used some onion or mustard. The flight had 90 empty seats (737-900) according to the gate agent. 4C was empty - this is the first time in over a decade I’ve seen an empty seat in domestic First
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:43 pm

Date: 1/26/19
Route: PHL-SFO
Flight Number: AS 1141
Departure Time: 6:50 PM
Length of flight: 5 hours 40minutes
Meal/Snack: Dinner
Menu: One menu passed around
Meal/Snack Description: Choice of cod or ravioli. Only 5 guests in F tonight. Drinks and warm nuts to start.

Cod entree with yogurt sauce

Sea salt and caramel ice cream

Snack basket 90 minutes before arrival.

Arrived one hour early and actually got into the gate right away! Bag was waiting for me by the time I got there, within 10 minutes of gate arrival.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Roasted Cod with cucumber yogurt vs Spinach Bolognese Ravioli. Any suggestions? I’m not considering the cheese plate. I haven’t had Fish on Alaska before so I’m a bit hesitant...
The cod is probably my favorite AS F meal in my years flying AS. I've probably had it 5 or 6 times this month, and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

I'd describe the dish almost as Indian food, apart from the fact that Indian cuisine generally doesn't use cod. Both the accompanying rice dish (similar to a pulao) and "cucumber yogurt" (similar to a raita) are very flavorful by US airline standards. The cod itself isn't anything particularly special, but perfectly adequate for airline food.

I, for one, am hoping they'll keep serving this menu for a while.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The cod is probably my favorite AS F meal in my years flying AS. I've probably had it 5 or 6 times this month, and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

I'd describe the dish almost as Indian food, apart from the fact that Indian cuisine generally doesn't use cod. Both the accompanying rice dish (similar to a pulao) and "cucumber yogurt" (similar to a raita) are very flavorful by US airline standards. The cod itself isn't anything particularly special, but perfectly adequate for airline food.

I, for one, am hoping they'll keep serving this menu for a while.
I liked the flavors in the cod entree too, and the presentation was very nice. Couldn’t really taste the garlic in the yogurt sauce, and the cod tasted better once I added some salt. Carrots were a bit hard, but overall pretty good.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS 350
SEA-IAH 12PM departure
1/26/2019
Choice of Korean beef or chicken with Clementine‘s. I explained to the flight attendant that the Korean beef is actually called Bibimbop. I ordered the Bibimbop. She said it was quite spicy but I found it to be a bit bland and there was Absolutely no beef in it. The lady next to me and one a ordered chicken which looked quite good. No photo since both choices are showing up thread.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
AS 350
SEA-IAH 12PM departure
1/26/2019
Choice of Korean beef or chicken with Clementine‘s. I explained to the flight attendant that the Korean beef is actually called Bibimbop. I ordered the Bibimbop. She said it was quite spicy but I found it to be a bit bland and there was Absolutely no beef in it. The lady next to me and one a ordered chicken which looked quite good. No photo since both choices are showing up thread.
The Korean rice bowl in the current rotation appears on the app as “Vegetarian Bibimbap” so guessing the flight attendant missed that it didn’t contain beef.
AS737 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
AS 765 BWI - SEA on 1/25

Choice of cod or vegetarian ravioli. Decided to try the ravioli, since I’ve had plenty of the cod recently. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven’t cared for the vegetarian Bolognese sauce I’ve had on past Alaska flights, but this one seemed to have more flavor

What are the orange cubes with the ravioli? Seems a bit odd to be served with a pasta dish
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
It appears that the Ravioli is served with roasted sweet potatoes. A picture of the menu appears in Post 9.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

DEN-SEA Breakfast Fritatta 2005

DEN-SEA Breakfast Burrito 2005

DEN-SEA Breakfast Quiche 2005

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Re. Breakfast service on the RON (Remain Overnight) DEN-SEA early morning flight: I actually think it looks a bit better than what I've seen in the past on some double catered R.O.N. flights. I remember when I used to fly SAN-SEA about ten years ago on the 6:30 AM flight, they offered a hot pastry and a tub of yogurt. That was it for a 3 hr flight.
I used to practically commute between Denver and Seattle back in 2004/5. Here are three pics from the Denver to Seattle early morning flight as served in 2005
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I used to practically commute between Denver and Seattle back in 2004/5. Here are three pics from the Denver to Seattle early morning flight as served in 2005
Out of curiosity, do you recall how much the DEN-SEA fare was a decade & a half ago? I know the cost of a basket of goods costs significantly more today than it did back then. It would be interesting to extrapolate the "real cost" of those meals into today's dollar to see if it is commensurate in relation to today's fares. I suspect the 2004/5 meal costs were a lower percentage of average fare at the time.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Out of curiosity, do you recall how much the DEN-SEA fare was a decade & a half ago? I know the cost of a basket of goods costs significantly more today than it did back then. It would be interesting to extrapolate the "real cost" of those meals into today's dollar to see if it is commensurate in relation to today's fares. I suspect the 2004/5 meal costs were a lower percentage of average fare at the time.

James
The fare varied, and like today there were frequent sales. If I recall the base one way fare without discount was about $250.00 but there was always a lower fare with a bit of advance planning - which I always had enough time for. I also remember doing some mileage runs between Denver and Philadelphia where the base fare for roundtrip was $55.00. With taxes all in, my records show I paid $121.10. The reason it's relevant here is that it was an AA ticketed fare that routed DEN-SEA-ORD-PHL using Alaska codeshare flights DEN-SEA-ORD. I bought six of those tickets and always departed Denver on the 700am departure. I did a lot of mileage runs back then and most of the AA fares out of Denver allowed for a routing via SEA using the Alaska codeshare.

As for the food back then, I thought it was basic but okay. I prefer a hot meal (Back home I'm a cereal and yogurt guy, so it's nice to treat myself when I fly First Class) onboard airplanes, so I always opt for the egg dishes. As I recall however, there wasn't a choice on those short DEN-SEA flights.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Seems to be different plating but could see the kale better to avoid it. I drank the F cabin out of IPA (I swear i only had 3 on transcon) so tried the 805 before landing. FA said she heard a lot of good comments on it, i'm assuming from other flights since i didn't notice any of the other 7 F pax having beer..

Cinnamon overload with a sided of John McClane

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:30 pm Reason: 805 is the beer not 808
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The fare varied, and like today there were frequent sales. If I recall the base one way fare without discount was about $250.00 but there was always a lower fare with a bit of advance planning - which I always had enough time for. I also remember doing some mileage runs between Denver and Philadelphia where the base fare for roundtrip was $55.00. With taxes all in, my records show I paid $121.10. The reason it's relevant here is that it was an AA ticketed fare that routed DEN-SEA-ORD-PHL using Alaska codeshare flights DEN-SEA-ORD. I bought six of those tickets and always departed Denver on the 700am departure. I did a lot of mileage runs back then and most of the AA fares out of Denver allowed for a routing via SEA using the Alaska codeshare.

As for the food back then, I thought it was basic but okay. I prefer a hot meal (Back home I'm a cereal and yogurt guy, so it's nice to treat myself when I fly First Class) onboard airplanes, so I always opt for the egg dishes. As I recall however, there wasn't a choice on those short DEN-SEA flights.
Thank you. Awesome to get some figures from that era. My first flight ever on a Jet was a 737-100 from YVR-YLW in 1969. I believe it was CAD $39 for the 200 mile 35 minute flight. In present value that would be $266.84. Compare that to a transcon return flying 25 times the distance today.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date: 1/28/19
Route: PIAH-SEA
Flight Number: AS 41S
Departure Time: 7:25 PM
Length of flight: 4 hours 30minutes
Meal/Snack: Dinner
Menu: None
Meal/Snack Description: Choice of cod with cucumber sauce or Ricotta stuffed ravioli. Drinks and warm nuts to start. Warm cookie after dinner and a chocolate peppermint square just before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.