Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
A slight change to this thread for 2019. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 11, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
AS use to only code flights as "snack" that had something at least plated, even if it was just a fruit/cheese plate on a red-eye from Hawaii. Unfortunately, now the flights with snack basket service are also coded as "snack" which adds another layer of confusion that really doesn't need to be there.
Was going to say, I remember having more substantial "snacks" (like a sandwich) than some other flights coded as "lunch" in the past. Sounds like there's still confusion, but just a snack basket on a longer flight that happens to depart after 8 is a shame.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Was going to say, I remember having more substantial "snacks" (like a sandwich) than some other flights coded as "lunch" in the past. Sounds like there's still confusion, but just a snack basket on a longer flight that happens to depart after 8 is a shame.
Totally agree. I think we can look forward to a steady decline in F offerings for the next year. They are playing around with options just to see how well they are tolerated. Starting to feel like a lab rat. All we can do is give feedback and let them know how disappointing F has become.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:04 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
And to add to the confusion, they now code Anchorage evening flights as “dinner” when it’s really not (in my opinion). I feel a protein plate OR salad OR sandwich with no side and no dessert (other than chocolate piece) is not a dinner service... But, they do offer the snack basket later in the flight ;-))

Seems a lot of confusion could be relieved if AK Air would accurately apply more relevant service codes to match service offerings, but this my opinion only.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dabeags View Post
I generally don't eat on flights so not much to add to the thread, but yesterday I ordered my standard Woodford on the rocks and received this. FA must have thought I was having a VERY bad day. Funny part is she looked somewhat perplexed when she picked it up 1.5 hours later and I only had drank a quarter of it.

I’ll trade you. Mine looks a little lite.
dabeags and pcoll like this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DUT View Post
And to add to the confusion, they now code Anchorage evening flights as “dinner” when it’s really not (in my opinion)...
Seems a lot of confusion could be relieved if AK Air would accurately apply more relevant service codes to match service offerings, but this my opinion only.
My recent RT SEA-YYC flights on the E175 were coded as lunch, but I guess I wasn't that surprised when they ended up being snack basket only... flight time is about 90 minutes.

Still, it seems we're seeing more and more negative reports regarding meal service issues and, in this case, I wonder why they didn't simply have the flight coded correctly.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:38 am

And to add to the confusion, they now code Anchorage evening flights as “dinner” when it’s really not (in my opinion). I feel a protein plate OR salad OR sandwich with no side and no dessert (other than chocolate piece) is not a dinner service... But, they do offer the snack basket later in the flight ;-))

I agree. If you are disappointed with the service, please contact AS to let them know. DL offers full dinner service on this route. AS probably just figures they have enough schedule frequency on this route that they don't have to compete with DL on service. But, in terms of meal codes, AS does create confusion. SEA-ANC is <100 mi shorter than SEA-FAI and about 275 mi shorter than SEA-ORD, both of which offer a full meal service. Yet, all three routes have meal codes of "B, L or D" depending on the time of the day, which is misleading.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Sep 12, 19 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
It's also annoying as I have to call every time I'm on trans or mid cont. to verify the meal service as I am diabetic so it matters how much food will be served. The folks on the phone seem happy to confirm for me but I'm taking staff time and it could be avoided if I could trust what AS puts on the flight information re meals.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by kileysmom View Post
It's also annoying as I have to call every time I'm on trans or mid cont. to verify the meal service as I am diabetic so it matters how much food will be served. The folks on the phone seem happy to confirm for me but I'm taking staff time and it could be avoided if I could trust what AS puts on the flight information re meals.
with all respect (truly), if you're diabetic, wouldn't you also travel with some snacks of your own? Just in case... Anything could happen. If it's a health concern I would not rely on the airline to make sure your needs are taken care of. I agree that meal codes should match what's offered, but I wouldn't rely on it if I need to make sure I'm going to get enough food. Not a lecture - just a question really.
Eastbay1K, pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS G75K, Hilton Diamond
Anyone had the Apple Hash Bowl or Buddy's Omelet Montamore? Trying to pre-order and decide.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Just a head's up for breakfast flights: don't eat the yogurt while enjoying a mimosa. The mint garnish adds to the yogurt flavor and creates a toothpaste + orange juice sensation. Learned the hard way and never again.
jjmadison, pcoll and Chicogirl like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Date: 09/13/19
Route: SEA-ORD
Flight Number: 1026
Departure time: 17:25
Pre-Order Available: Yes
Menu: No (perhaps because I pre-ordered)
Meal description: Dinner

I pre-ordered the Chicken Romesco (Chard Mancotti was other option) and thought it was nice... above average. Didn't blow me away, but didn't cause disappointment. The FA did take a moment to say thanks fore pre-selecting my meal, she said it makes things easier when passengers pre-select.

Flight started with PDB and the FA confirmed meal preferences before take-off as well as took drink orders. Warm nuts were served before the meal, but I have to say something was quite off about these. Not sure if they were stale, or over heated, but they basically had no consistency when you bit into them... no crunch, no resistance. It was like eating warm nuts the consistency of Play-Doh (I imagine at least, I haven't eaten Play-Doh in some time). Flavor wise, they were fine (so maybe not stale? maybe over heated?) so I did finish them off. The FA came around and asked if anyone wanted a second helping of nuts, but the consistency was just too weird, I declined.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:55 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
**Pre-Order Menu**

Date: 09/30/2019
Route: HNL-SEA
Flight Number: 854
Departure time: 13:20
Meal description: Lunch

Old Sep 16, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
**Pre-Order Menu**

Date: 09/30/2019
Route: HNL-SEA
Flight Number: 854
Departure time: 13:20
Meal description: Lunch
Lol that they're resurrecting the bibimbap (and on a Hawaii route, where they've done it before, but it seems like a very small portion for flights of that length). This meal was being used for a good chunk of 2018 on a wide variety of routes. Here's a link to another poster's review. I had it on both mainline and regional and thought it was decent.

So, this could mean that it got really good reviews... or maybe AS is just out of ideas (I know which one my money is on ).

Last edited by metallo; Sep 16, 19 at 7:23 pm
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: Various
As 557 lax - pdx 9/15

Date: September 15
Route: LAX - PDX
Flight Number: 557
Departure time: 6:00 AM
Menu: No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast

Choices:

Granola with Yogurt and Fruit

or

Spinach Frittata with Bacon and fruit

PDB= Water Bottles only

Hot Towels, Beverage Order Taken, Food Order Taken, Beverages Delivered, Smoothie shots offered, food delivered, beverage refills, trays cleared, PAM

My selection of Frittata

Old Sep 17, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: Various
As 540 - pdx - lax 9/16

Date: September 16
Route: PDX - LAX
Flight Number: 540
Departure time: 5:45pm
Menu: No
Meal description (if given) Snack

FA mentioned the Fall menu just started

Choices:

Warm Turkey Sandwich on Ciabatta Roll with smoked Gouda cheese. Served with chips and Seattle Chocolate

or

Chicken Salad with Mesclun Greens, Cucumber, Feta Cheese, Marinated Roasted Tomato and Balsamic Dressing “tube”. Served with a Whole Wheat Roll and a Seattle Chocolate (Mexican Hot Chocolate flavor)

PDB= Nothing, not even a Water Bottle

Hot Towels, Beverage And Food Order Taken, Beverage and food delivered all at once, beverage refills on request, trays cleared, PAM

My selection: Chicken Salad

Search this Thread