Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pcoll
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why do people think if you paid for your seat somehow you are to be treated differently then those who upgraded?
Well, that's a good question. Hm. Speaking for myself, I guess I feel that as the recipient of an upgrade, especially a complimentary one, that I've been given something. Normally I am grateful for that, so I am typically less critical. But if I'm paying for something, such as a higher level of service, then yes, I do feel that I'm fully "entitled" to that level.

In a perfect world, we would all be treated the same, regardless of what or how we paid for it. But I think that in reality, if we are paying "real money" for something, my expectation is naturally higher.
steve64 and pcoll like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Well, that's a good question. Hm. Speaking for myself, I guess I feel that as the recipient of an upgrade, especially a complimentary one, that I've been given something. Normally I am grateful for that, so I am typically less critical. But if I'm paying for something, such as a higher level of service, then yes, I do feel that I'm fully "entitled" to that level.

In a perfect world, we would all be treated the same, regardless of what or how we paid for it. But I think that in reality, if we are paying "real money" for something, my expectation is naturally higher.
Do you not believe that a "complimentary upgrade" as an elite benefit was not earned with "real money?" A recipient of a "complimentary upgrade" wasn't "given" anything. It was "earned" through loyalty. There should be no difference in expectations. If you are less critical on upgrades, perhaps you are selling yourself short.

James
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why do people think if you paid for your seat somehow you are to be treated differently then those who upgraded?
This is getting a bit off topic from "first class eats", but even AS treats paid F vs upgraded F pax different (e.g., lounge access, COS bonus). Not saying the on-board experience should be different, but I certainly would have higher expectations if I'd spent $600+ vs $150ish for the seat.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Do you not believe that a "complimentary upgrade" as an elite benefit was not earned with "real money?" A recipient of a "complimentary upgrade" wasn't "given" anything. It was "earned" through loyalty. There should be no difference in expectations. If you are less critical on upgrades, perhaps you are selling yourself short.

James
Point taken. As a "lowly" MVP, I still feel pleasantly surprised, and somewhat grateful, to get almost anything. If I were Gold75K I would probably feel a bit more entitled. I'm on track for MVPGold this year so we'll see how my expectations have morphed after that. But I see what you're sayin'....
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
I generally don't eat on flights so not much to add to the thread, but yesterday I ordered my standard Woodford on the rocks and received this. FA must have thought I was having a VERY bad day. Funny part is she looked somewhat perplexed when she picked it up 1.5 hours later and I only had drank a quarter of it.

Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
A) AS is really cutting back! Thimble sized glassware that barely hold a single mini.

B) there goes the full PDB budget for the next quarter

C) liquid dinner
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I've seen some pours like that... but generally it's after the FA gets a sense of who they're dealing with

On one flight we had managed to get 4 of us across a row for a bachelor party and my buddy got a pour a little less full than that (maybe 75% up the glass) - but neat
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Nooo.... not the return of the shrooms!

Had snack basket last night on AS93 SEA-ANC. Flight listed as a snack. Had 2nds
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
I'm surprised AS hasn't tried to serve some variation on "Baked Alaska" as a dessert.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mfolf
I'm surprised AS hasn't tried to serve some variation on "Baked Alaska" as a dessert.
Marijuana Eskimo Pie?

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Date: 29 Aug 2019
Route: KOA-SMF
Flight Number: AS 846
Departure time: 15:30
Menu: Yes
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:

Tiny nut ramekin with warmed stale nuts. We were not offered PDB, but received a full glass of red wine and an offer to refill.

Carrot soup (pretty good)
Salad, balsamic dressing
Bread roll (sweet roll)
Filet (possibly sirloin, served medium rare w/ mushroom sauce)
Roasted new potatoes, green beans (insufficiently cooked)
Tropical Dreams toasted coconut ice cream
The F cabin service was carried out punctually if perfunctorily and robotically, with both FAs disappearing aft for the last hour of the flight until we were on descent.

Flight operated by 737-800 (ETOPS) N570AS “honoring those who served” color scheme. As a veteran, I appreciated that.

The menu card photo was rotated by FlyerTalk.
Attached Images    

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 31, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
Date: 25 Aug 2019
Route: HNL-PDX
Flight Number: AS 834
Departure time: 1200
Menu: Yes
Meal description: Lunch
Main Dish: "Beef Filet Tender beef filet topped with a savoury mushroom sauce. Servced wiht roasted potatoes and seasonal mix of vegetables or
Eggplant Lasagna: Layered Summer vegetables in our eggplant lasagna served with a roasted red pepper sauce and a side of grilled seasonal vegetables.”
I was also on 834, albeit a few days later.
There were two of us, so I got to try both options. I had originally ordered the beef but switched to the lasagne on board.
I could not do it, even for the FT team. Had the Fruit and Cheese, although the Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi from the back looked enticing.

..There is a dry ice supplier problem coming from HNL, so there was no Ice Cream, instead a piece of Tiramisu was served.
I got the ice cream. Coconut. Yummy!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Breakfast on this mornings 8am delayed to 9:30am SFO-DCA on an A321 with 8 seats up front:

LIH Prem, jjmadison and NoLaGent like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
SEA-STL
Dinner
737-900

Choice of chicken romesco or chard manicotti.

Pre-ordered the chicken over a week before the flight. Was sitting in row 3 on a 739 and watched the FA take meal orders for the first two rows. He congratulated all of row 1 (literally all 4 seats) for being upgraded as non-revs. He totally skipped my companion and me when taking meal orders, so I assumed he intended to simply serve us our pre-reserved meals, saving the trouble of any discussion about it. When trays were delivered, we received the manicotti instead of the chicken. FA had no explanation and even said he saw the chicken order in his tablet. He simply said, “Sorry, I served all the chicken already to rows 1 and 2.” He offered a $25 discount code as compensation. I quietly (and politely) basically told him where to stick the $25 and made it clear that he shouldn’t waste his time.

If it seemed like an honest mistake, I would, of course, be forgiving, but my companion and I agreed that it was clear what happened here. FA confirmed a preorder with a passenger in row 2 but didn’t do so for either of us.

I guess bulkhead non-revs are the priority these days at AS.

This flight had 7/16 seats reserved at T-2h. Lots of employees and last minute non-elite upgrades here, presumably.

I had my own dinner instead, and I’m thinking this is maybe the best thing to do on ex-SEA flights anyway

Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dabeags
I generally don't eat on flights so not much to add to the thread, but yesterday I ordered my standard Woodford on the rocks and received this. FA must have thought I was having a VERY bad day. Funny part is she looked somewhat perplexed when she picked it up 1.5 hours later and I only had drank a quarter of it.

I don't get it....what is it suppose to look like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.