Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pcoll
Wiki Link
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 12, 19, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Date: 3 July 2019
Route: HNL-SEA
Flight Number: 162
Equipment: 737-800
Departure time: 8:15pm
Menu: No
Some kind of soup and a greasy vegetable cheese sandwich.
Thatís disappointing, 8:15 PM seems early enough that there should be a full dinner service!
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Date: 3 July 2019
Route: HNL-SEA
Flight Number: 162
Equipment: 737-800
Departure time: 8:15pm
Some kind of soup and a greasy vegetable cheese sandwich.
At least there was actually proper F catering... I've done LIH-SEA and OGG-SEA redeyes the past couple of years where they literally just served plated Y fruit/cheese plates in F. Granted, those redeyes departed after 10pm, so perhaps the HNL departure gets more since it's earlier, or maybe they've actually improved the Hawaii redeye service.
Old Jul 13, 19, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
AS1085, IAD-SEA (1850 departure), Fri 12 Jul

PDB service as I detailed in that thread

menu was the same as Kurt described on last weekís AS3 upthread; the sauce for the chicken was MIA, and would have probably been a nice addition, as the meat was somewhat on the dry side ... however, a strong g&t certainly compensated for its absence

snack basket ~45 min before landing
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post

Thatís disappointing, 8:15 PM seems early enough that there should be a full dinner service!
This is inline with all airlines not doing a full Dinner service after 8pm. Most people would have eaten by now and want to sleep for most of the flight.
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
This is inline with all airlines not doing a full Dinner service after 8pm. Most people would have eaten by now and want to sleep for most of the flight.
Many eastbound transatlantic flights leave after 8 pm and still have a full dinner service.
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
AS1085, IAD-SEA (1850 departure), Fri 12 Jul

PDB service as I detailed in that thread

menu was the same as Kurt described on last weekís AS3 upthread; the sauce for the chicken was MIA, and would have probably been a nice addition, as the meat was somewhat on the dry side ... however, a strong g&t certainly compensated for its absence

snack basket ~45 min before landing
sauce is salty, chicken is salty and the guy next to me mistook my water for his g&t. Iím certain you wouldnít have done that 😜 . To his credit, he asked the fa to get me a new glass.
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:53 pm

Many eastbound transatlantic flights leave after 8 pm and still have a full dinner service.

I would venture to guess the average price is probably a lot higher for a transatlantic flight most flights are double the flight length. It's not comparing apples to apples.
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
Date: 11 July 2019
Route: ANC-JNU-SIT
Flight Number: 62
Equipment: 737-700
Departure time: Scheduled 7:55am, Actual 9:45am (delayed 1hr 50 minutes) No explanation given for the delay
Meal description: Snack Basket-this is usually a breakfast flight. Apparently this is the new norm. See below.
Date: 13 July 2019
Route: JNU-SIT-ANC
Number: 73
Departure time: 6:00 AM
Meal description: Snack Basket-this is usually a breakfast flight

Epic fail of a flight. No waters on the SIT-JNU portion, no service due to the short flight. Flight attendant was completely indifferent to the Pax up front. No recognition of the PAX as we boarded, on the ground or in the air on either segment. She did offer coffee or OJ.

Waters offered to the back of the cabin on the ground in JNU. Coffee and OJ offered on the ground. Once in the air for ANC I asked for a bottle of water and a Bloody Mary. FA said there were no bottles of water left. Only food offered was a snack basket with some of the snacks from the back of the plane. Not even any fruit in the basket.

This has been a light breakfast flight for as far back as my memory goes. What is being served now is shabby and borderline offensive. A friend of mine was on this flight and he makes this trip often. He now refers to is as the "Starvation Flight" due to the poor catering these days.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Epic fail of a flight. No waters on the SIT-JNU portion, no service due to the short flight. Flight attendant was completely indifferent to the Pax up front. No recognition of the PAX as we boarded, on the ground or in the air on either segment. She did offer coffee or OJ.

Waters offered to the back of the cabin on the ground in JNU. Coffee and OJ offered on the ground. Once in the air for ANC I asked for a bottle of water and a Bloody Mary. FA said there were no bottles of water left. Only food offered was a snack basket with some of the snacks from the back of the plane. Not even any fruit in the basket.

This has been a light breakfast flight for as far back as my memory goes. What is being served now is shabby and borderline offensive. A friend of mine was on this flight and he makes this trip often. He now refers to is as the "Starvation Flight" due to the poor catering these days.
JNU-ANC is about the same distance as PDX-SFO which use to have a light meal (at meal times) but eventually all those light meals on PDX-Bay area flights switched to the snack basket only which probably explains the change.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
JNU-ANC is about the same distance as PDX-SFO which use to have a light meal (at meal times) but eventually all those light meals on PDX-Bay area flights switched to the snack basket only which probably explains the change.
jnu-anc is 571 miles, I believe meal service is only on flights over 675 miles now. Not happy about it, but seems like they are trying to be consistent.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT

Bob, I'm sorry to see you've had a few bad experiences recently. It seems to me that you and several other long-time AS flyers are becoming a bit disgruntled lately... and perhaps quite rightly so.

I've only been 75K for three years and still fly mostly AA, but in my time with AS I've found the flights/service to be pretty similar to the other major airlines (and actually worse in several ways -- upgrade list integrity, catering, IROPS reaccommodation, proactive compensation, lack of discount F availability, lack of a proper lounge network... the list goes on). Before I became an AS FF, I had heard essentially uniformly positive things about flying with AS (notwithstanding prayer cards)... so it's interesting watching this apparent downward slide with customer service and the soft product that seems to be occurring lately.

Then again, maybe there's a much simpler explanation... perhaps AS is just putting more of the catering budget into transcons (where they can demand higher premiums for paid F) and cutting catering on intra-Alaska flights.

I mean, they don't exactly have a lot of competition in Alaska.

Last edited by metallo; Jul 13, 19 at 9:47 pm
Old Jul 13, 19, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Then again, maybe there's a much simpler explanation... perhaps AS is just putting more of the catering budget into transcons (where they can demand higher premiums for paid F) and cutting catering on intra-Alaska flights.

I mean, they don't exactly have a lot of competition in Alaska.
IMHO, with the catering changes that went into effect about 10 months ago, midcon and transcon flights improved, while short-haul flights got shafted. I flew early morning sjc-pdx in 2016 and got a fruit bowl croissant and yogurt. Now you just get the snack basket.
Old Jul 14, 19, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
OAK/HNL
12 Jul - Lunch

Soup y Salad - Tasty

Main course - ordered in advance. Meat cooked to a medium rare, sauce very good (some "African spice" sauce) but beef texture was strange.

Someone does not like "haricots verts"

Frozen dessert

Snack basket, and PDB, too. Overall, a nice flight.
Old Jul 14, 19, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
HNL/SFO
13 Jul - Dinner

No PDB, nor water bottles. (Late catering - she came around and poured water into cups)

Everything served at once. Beef really overcooked. Menu says "courses" unless you ask, but no one ever asked.

What is up with all these beans?

Ice cream

FA was ok. Best effort by an AS crew to enforce the F lav I've seen. 3 passes of the snack basket.
NoLaGent and safari ari like this.
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G

jnu-anc is 571 miles, I believe meal service is only on flights over 675 miles now. Not happy about it, but seems like they are trying to be consistent.
This plane overnights in SIT then returns to ANC via JNU. It leaves SIT at 6 AM and JNU at 7:30 AM. There are no restaurants open in SIT at 4:30 AM or JNU at 5:30 AM, so the snack basket, if they are going to stick with that, needs several enhancements. The galling thing was that the snack basket did not even have the normal items or fruit. It was merely the stuff from the back of the plane that people normally pay for.

I paid much more for this ANC-JNU-SIT-JNU-ANC trip than I ever pay for an ANC-SEA-ANC trip. AS has a mostly captive audience up and down the Panhandle (YES there are a few DL flights), so AS is making much more money on these flights. They can afford to make an exception on these routes, especially this time of day.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by BOB W; Jul 14, 19 at 4:11 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: