Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pcoll
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I pre-ordered the fruit and cheese plate in F for a flight last February and it was noticeably different (smaller) than the one you get in Y....less fruit, no crackers (which was a bummer since I really like the cheese and crackers together), and no chocolate (no big deal there). Maybe that is what AS Flyer is referring to...the more substantial version in Y is obviously going to cost more $$ and take up more valuable storage space compared to the smaller version in F....just a thought. Now that I think of it, the fruit and cheese plates that are catered for all the Hawaii red-eyes in the F cabin have been much smaller than the Y versions for as long as I can remember.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's sustainable for every other airline.
yeah, every other airline offers a world wide network to subsidize their free domestic upgrades. Alaska does not. I'm just curious though - is it as easy to upgrade on Delta, United and American? It's an honest question.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Most of us who pay for F, it is usually 2-2.5 times what AS wants for Y. So, it is substantially more.
Expecting a first class that reflects this is not too much to ask. IMHO.
It's not my decision - so debating it here with me is really pointless. It's a company policy.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I pre-ordered the fruit and cheese plate in F for a flight last February and it was noticeably different (smaller) than the one you get in Y....less fruit, no crackers (which was a bummer since I really like the cheese and crackers together), and no chocolate (no big deal there). Maybe that is what AS Flyer is referring to...the more substantial version in Y is obviously going to cost more $$ and take up more valuable storage space compared to the smaller version in F....just a thought. Now that I think of it, the fruit and cheese plates that are catered for all the Hawaii red-eyes in the F cabin have been much smaller than the Y versions for as long as I can remember.
this was not the norm, as I pointed out on another thread where you said the same thing. The F&C plate that you can pre-order is no different than that which is served in Coach, except that it's on a plate. Same cheese. Same crackers, Same apples. Same grapes. Same chocolate.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ffman999
I had this meal on EWR-SEA this week and it was quite good. The steak was a bit fatty, but overall a good meal.
i agreed! I had this same dinner when I flew back from BWI to SEA in F. Even though the steak was a little over-cooked, it was very good. Kudo to AS catering! I think it beats the F&C platter, and don't have to worry about getting it from the Y food cart, and denying AS' profit making BOB program!!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Most of us who pay for F, it is usually 2-2.5 times what AS wants for Y. So, it is substantially more.
Expecting a first class that reflects this is not too much to ask. IMHO.
You can’t compare advance purchase Y (in lower fare buckets) to F. The differential between F and Y for he highest restricted fare buckets tends to be much less than what you’re claiming. You also get more space, more checked bags, lounge access, etc. Demanding free food above what’s catered is a bit selfish.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
You can’t compare advance purchase Y (in lower fare buckets) to F. The differential between F and Y for he highest restricted fare buckets tends to be much less than what you’re claiming. You also get more space, more checked bags, lounge access, etc. Demanding free food above what’s catered is a bit selfish.
Why can't you make that comparison? Both first and economy class have fully refundable fares and restricted fares. I think it makes sense to compare cheapest first class (usually I or P) to cheapest non-basic-economy available. Or you could compare full Y to full F. Either way, you are going to usually get a 2-4x price difference.

Every domestic airline I've ever been on will bring you something from the back if you ask. It's completely standard (though, unadvertised). Snack boxes are a common request. I've gotten them on UA, AA, and formerly VX. AS is the only one that doesn't give them to you. As a first class experience, it's far below the competition.
BW Flyer, metallo and pcoll like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
AS 655 DFW - PDX on 4/7

No menus and the choices were described as “mushroom risotto or chicken.” I picked the chicken and ended up with the meal that was described upthread with a side of mashed Lima beans. It was actually much tastier than it looked, but it made me chuckle to hear all the different passengers asking for further descriptions of what the sides were once they tasted them. Cookies were distributed later in the flight and the snack basket came around about an hour before landing

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
You forgot one important aspect here: you paid more for first class to get more space, more checked bags, lounge access, etc, AND MORE FOOD. So food is not free in first class. I agreed that F pax should focus on the F menu when ordering food, but how could people in F asking for BOB food equate to demanding free food?

pcoll likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date: Apr. 01, 2019
Route: KTN-SEA
Flight Number: 64
Departure time: 5:50 p.m.
Menu: No
Meal description: Snack

We were offered a choice between a Hot Turkey Sandwich or the Dreaded Protein Plate. Of course I ordered the sandwich, which was hot and tasty. The bread was nice and soft and whatever sauce was used to flavor the turkey nicely negated my need to apply my own packet of Grey Poupon. In all, a good meal for this 1.5 hour flight with very nice service from the FA.

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were probably not being offered an upgrade but a re-faring of your ticket to I/P/F. That is just fare difference.

If it was an upgrade it would be $99. But it needs U space (or be under gate control) and supposedly all the elite passengers need to clear before they offer that price. But for fare difference you can do it any time
OPENROAD and jjmadison like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
4/11 AS 764 PDX-DCA
Menus were offered and it was a nicely coursed meal. I really enjoyed the yogurt with coconut and granola

sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
4/5 LAX-OGG 830a departure: same menu as posted above; spring breakfast bowl or the gruyere omelette, plus the yogurt, smoothie and other accoutrements. Wife had the omelette and said "it's the best meal I've had on a plane in a while."

I ordered the F&C, which came crackers, fruit, chocolate, plus the scone and fruit and yogurt from the regular breakfast. The cheese tasted off to me, but everything else was good. Pleasantly surprised to get all the other stuff since usually the fruit and cheese in F doesn't come with it (or at least hasn't the last couple times I've ordered it). FA came through with the snack basket several times throughout the last 2.5 hours of the flight.

4/3 PDX-PHX 725p departure: protein plate or some sort of sandwich thing that sounded unremarkable so I didn't commit it to long term memory. FAs were good on both flights and actually wanted to be at work, unlike the last two flights which featured FAs who would have fit in better at USAir (not USAirways).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Pleasantly surprised to get all the other stuff since usually the fruit and cheese in F doesn't come with it (or at least hasn't the last couple times I've ordered it).
^ I had it this way a time or two and it's a nice presentation when the F&C is served basically as the replacement for just the entree with everything else included (roll & salad with the lunch/dinner etc).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Date: Apr. 01, 2019
Route: KTN-SEA
Flight Number: 64
Departure time: 5:50 p.m.
Menu: No
Meal description:

4-11-19
SEA/LAX. 10:30am
Lunch
received sandwich as above. Glad it had chips. All around , warm and good.
The biggest shocker was the sparkling wine that was served.
Still trying to figure out how to post pic I took.
Carbonated wine in a can. Not “champagne” or sparkling wine. I asked to look at the can after he poured it. Generic looking white can. Labeled american house wine from Walla Walla. Carbonated white wine.
It was really bad. FA already anticipated my reaction. He brought LaMarca from Back.
AS is trying to save money. Do not want to load the one bottle of sparkling wine for First Class flight anymore.

Doing research, apparently sparkling wines are carbonated wines.

Last edited by pcoll; Apr 11, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.