Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/19 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/19 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by BW Flyer

Last month while I was at JFK taking the early flight to PDX, Pre-check line was opened around 5:45 am, just when I got there. I used GGU on that flight, but I should have just waited for a chance for free upgrades, because I think the F cabin was pretty empty until the day of the departure (based on seat map at check in, which was probably not reliable data on how full the cabin was).
Nice! Honestly- I’m happy whenever I’m able to use a GGU.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
7/10
AS 85
ATL-SEA
MVPG 75K
N Fare

Upgrade cleared prior to the 75K window opening as did my last award booking out of PVR.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7/8
AS1080 SEA-IAD

MVPG75K, M fare, purchased 7/3
#3 for 2 seats

PC exit row window is totally tolerable on a redeye, and when I gate-checked my roller bag the agent orange-tagged it for planeside claim — I was totally unaware that AS offers that for MVPG and 75K members

Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jrl767
7/8
AS1080 SEA-IAD

MVPG75K, M fare, purchased 7/3
#3 for 2 seats

PC exit row window is totally tolerable on a redeye, and when I gate-checked my roller bag the agent orange-tagged it for planeside claim — I was totally unaware that AS offers that for MVPG and 75K members

they haven’t advertised this in a while, but I used to do it a lot
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 pm

SEA-ATL 7/8/19 inflight.
AS 750
SEA-ATL
MVPG 75K
N Fare 20K redemption YLW-SEA-ATL.

Unfortunately, I got the upgrade! this was an interesting one! Just before OLCI opened, AS stopped selling Main, F remained for sales at $949 until T-3 hours. On check-in, I was #3 on the waitlist. When I artived at the gate in YLW, it was confirmed that #1 & #2 on the waitlist were on the same PNR, one MVPG75K with an MVP companion, 2 seats avaiilable. By 4 pm, I receive an email looking for volunteers, starting at $350, as the flight was oversold.

Since I didn't need to be in ATL before 4 pm local, I responded with my interest. Two others had also shown interest. When I artived at the gate the GA said they were still in an oversell and that there was only one F available. The waitlist had not changed. She advised she would first give #1 & #2 the option to split before upgrading me.

The offer for VDB had increased to $750, the night in a hotel, food vouchers and reaccommodation on the 6:15 am flight the next morning which would put me in ATL at 2:00 pm.

I didn't board with group A and waited until 30 minutes after boarding started. Unfortunately, #1 & #2 on the waitlist didn't show as well as a family of three on the same PNR. I got the upgrade, releasing 6A and the 3 no-shows cleared the oversell. Dang!

I would have happily taken $750 for my 20K miles and flown the following morning.

Last minute, 2 additional single travelers were upgraded into premium to accommodate a family traveling with a lap infant so they could sit together.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 9, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
SEA-ATL 7/8/19 inflight.
AS 750
SEA-ATL
MVPG 75K
N Fare 20K redemption YLW-SEA-ATL.

Unfortunately, I got the upgrade! this was an interesting one! Just before OLCI opened, AS stopped selling Main, F remained for sales at $949 until T-3 hours. On check-in, I was #3 on the waitlist. When I artived at the gate in YLW, it was confirmed that #1 & #2 on the waitlist were on the same PNR, one MVPG75K with an MVP companion, 2 seats avaiilable. By 4 pm, I receive an email looking for volunteers, starting at $350, as the flight was oversold.

Since I didn't need to be in ATL before 4 pm local, I responded with my interest. Two others had also shown interest. When I artived at the gate the GA said they were still in an oversell and that there was only one F available. The waitlist had not changed. She advised she would first give #1 & #2 the option to split before upgrading me.

The offer for VDB had increased to $750, the night in a hotel, food vouchers and reaccommodation on the 6:15 am flight the next morning which would put me in ATL at 2:00 pm.

I didn't board with group A and waited until 30 minutes after boarding started. Unfortunately, #1 & #2 on the waitlist didn't show as well as a family of three on the same PNR. I got the upgrade, releasing 6A and the 3 no-shows cleared the oversell. Dang!

I would have happily taken $750 for my 20K miles and flown the following morning.

Last minute, 2 additional single travelers were upgraded into premium to accommodate a family traveling with a lap infant so they could sit together sit together.

James
they usually send a 100 dollar (US) cert for your willingness to volunteer, so there’s that
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lalala

they usually send a 100 dollar (US) cert for your willingness to volunteer, so there’s that
That, I didn't know. Heading back tomorrow and was upgraded on AS 85 on an N award 120+ hrs out. You never know when SEA is you first/last city to/from home. 100% on AS metal award so far this year.

James
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That, I didn't know. Heading back tomorrow and was upgraded on AS 85 on an N award 120+ hrs out. You never know when SEA is you first/last city to/from home. 100% on AS metal award so far this year.

James
I would be delighted to clear on my return from BWI on Friday, but I'm not holding my breath. Traveling on Fridays are hard from WAS.

Safe travels.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, DL Silver, ex-Marriott Platinum
7/12/19 SEA->EWR AS 790
MVPG 75K
N fare, ~10k AS (booked as part of multi-city itinerary with a stopover, so it's hard to calculate the points cost of just one segment)
Upgrade cleared at T-42 hours
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I would be delighted to clear on my return from BWI on Friday, but I'm not holding my breath. Traveling on Fridays are hard from WAS.
I snagged a P seat on the Fri evening IAD-SEA flight for ~$150 over the M fare at ~0930EDT today ... there’s at least one still for sale on the app

Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

I snagged a P seat on the Fri evening IAD-SEA flight for ~$150 over the M fare at ~0930EDT today ... there’s at least one still for sale on the app

I think I’d have to upfare a lot and miss a meeting I set up, but if it would mean sitting next to you on the plane for five hours....
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I’d have to upfare a lot and miss a meeting I set up, but if it would mean sitting next to you on the plane for five hours....
see PM
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
7/9/19
AS 381
SFO-SEA
MVPG
R fare purchased in May

Upgrade at T-1.45 or so. Nice way to end a trip that went SEA-NRT/(stop)/HND-BKK(stop)-HEL-TXL(stop, travel in Germany)//AMS-LHR(stop)-DUB-LIS(overnight)-SFO-SEA...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
7/9/19
AS 381
SFO-SEA
MVPG
R fare purchased in May

Upgrade at T-1.45 or so. Nice way to end a trip that went SEA-NRT/(stop)/HND-BKK(stop)-HEL-TXL(stop, travel in Germany)//AMS-LHR(stop)-DUB-LIS(overnight)-SFO-SEA...
Completely off-topic, but out of curiosity, were you on the TAP flt. to SFO? I'm curious about that new service, and have always wanted to visit Portugal.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
7/11/19
AS 1281
BOS-PDX
MVP75K
V fare purchased approximately 40 days out

Upgrade on the plane; there had been 3 open seats the night before, looks like somebody either bought one or otherwise upgraded as the next morning there was 1 passenger confirmed who had been on the list ahead of me and me at the first spot. I could see from the seat map that 1F was available but was told at the counter and by the gate agent that first class had checked in full. However, 15 minutes before departure, the gate agent came on and grabbed me from 9F and moved me up to 1F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.