Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/19 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/19 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Dyoungman1
I was number one on the list since checkin. Still no upgrade during boarding, so I took my seat on the E75 in seat 6C. 4D remained opened, so I was sure they were going to come on the plane and give me the upgrade. Next thing I know they shut the door for take off.
Ask the GA before boarding when they're doing upgrades. They're so focused on closing flights 10 minutes before departure (I learned that in SFO a few days ago!), that they'll do anything to get the flight closed early, including leaving standbys, jumpseaters and not processing upgrades if it'll add to their workload. It's really fun to watch them panic if something is jeopardizing their ability to close at 10 minutes.

Horizon agents are the worst at this in my anecdotal experience...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dyoungman1
I asked the passing flight attended about the seat upgrade and she said, the door is shut and no one can move seats.
Silly rule. On VX you could buy F upgrades through the RED system, even after takeoff.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Silly rule. On VX you could buy F upgrades through the RED system, even after takeoff.
Here we go again.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On VX you could buy F upgrades through the RED system, even after takeoff.
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Here we go again.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I Got & Didnt get 75K upgrade

AS 1063 JFK SEA on A321
Sun 3/17
Booked R class on dec 2018

Looks to be the classic example of A321 aircraft swap and downgrade. Originally it was scheduled to be the old VS config seating but four days prior on 3/13, got changed to newly configured with four rows of F. Got upgraded at T-30 hours and checked in at 24 hours prior. Then by midnight prior to flight, got swapped back to VS configured A321 and my seat assignment and food order now in limbo state. Doubtful ill get upgraded now. Also lost the exit row seat. The newly configured A321 iscnow headed between SFO and MCO and no way coming into JFK.

Will be interesting arriving to gate as I know at least 5 other people were assigned and upgraded into F seats and downgraded.

Jiburi

Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jiburi
AS 1063 JFK SEA on A321
Sun 3/17

Looks to be the classic example of A321 aircraft swap and downgrade. Originally it was scheduled to be the old VS config seating but four days prior on 3/13, got changed to newly configured with four rows of F. Got upgraded at T-30 hours and checked in at 24 hours prior. Then by midnight prior to flight, got swapped back to VS configured A321 and my seat assignment and food order now in limbo state. Doubtful ill get upgraded now. Also lost the exit row seat. The newly configured A321 iscnow headed between SFO and MCO and no way coming into JFK.

Will be interesting arriving to gate as I know at least 5 other people were assigned and upgraded into F seats and downgraded.

Jiburi

I had this happen to me a week ago on a flight from LAX-SFO. It was a righteous mess - we ended up taking a 45 minute delay because boarding was a disaster followed by the pilots needing new weight & balance calcs and departure paperwork.

Whatever you do, don't ever take row 3 or 4 on these birds as you'll be hosed in this situation. In my old UA days this would've been automatic IDB comp, but not so on AS.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
3/20
SFO-DAL
AS3406
MVP Gold 75k
G Fare
Bought on 3/15
Upgraded upon booking
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
AS 1063 JFK SEA on A321
Sun 3/17

Jiburi

Did end up getting the exit row 11E, which was amazing economy seat. My boarding pass indicated "First Class", but seat 11E. Status also indicated "upgraded to first class" During the flight, the flight attendant came to my seat and inquired after checking her inflight app, "you had reserved a top sirloin?.... How did you do this?" She obviously didn't have top sirloin for me in economy, and wondered why her screen indicated the first class meal choice I had reserved.

I was disappointed but I was prepared for the outcome. I didn't complain. Alaska overall treats me well and this aircraft swap is something I came to expect. Flight was good with very cheerful flight attendants. All good.

Jiburi
PS- In my life of flying, I can recall two past instances where my flight upgrade was rescinded. One was on Delta, flying BWI to MSP. It was due to inop F seat. Second was on Northwest Airlines due to DC10-40 to DC10-30 Swap. DC10-30 had less business class seats.
rcarovano likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Did end up getting the exit row 11E, which was amazing economy seat. My boarding pass indicated "First Class", but seat 11E. Status also indicated "upgraded to first class" During the flight, the flight attendant came to my seat and inquired after checking her inflight app, "you had reserved a top sirloin?.... How did you do this?" She obviously didn't have top sirloin for me in economy, and wondered why her screen indicated the first class meal choice I had reserved.

I was disappointed but I was prepared for the outcome. I didn't complain. Alaska overall treats me well and this aircraft swap is something I came to expect. Flight was good with very cheerful flight attendants. All good.

Jiburi
PS- In my life of flying, I can recall two past instances where my flight upgrade was rescinded. One was on Delta, flying BWI to MSP. It was due to inop F seat. Second was on Northwest Airlines due to DC10-40 to DC10-30 Swap. DC10-30 had less business class seats.
Glad it turned out well. In the instance I quoted above, I ended up in 11F. Those 2 seats are definitely like a mini-F on this bird.

I would write in to customer care, though. To them it's not an IDB, but they will give you a customer care token of appreciation for your trouble...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not IDB (by DOT regs) but many airlines will give involuntary downgrade comp for this, as if you had purchased F.

I got some small vouchers for being moved out of Premium during the Airbus renumbering, even though I was able to move back to premium seats (though, worse ones). This is obviously much worse. You should get something.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AS Peon
3/18/2019
AS1109
SFO-SEA

MVP
R
Purchased 2/10
No upgrade - I was something like 6/9 on the list, and everyone else was upgraded to premium, but no one got F.

There were premium class seats available that I could have moved to, but only in the middle when I checked, and I'll happily take 7D over 6E in that case. Not a full flight, but did fly with a full F as far as I could tell. I was really hoping that I might get lucky and get to try out the old VX F before it goes away.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:36 am

3/19 PHX-PDX 6a departure: UG @ 120 hr
3/20 PDX-PHX 720p departure: No UG. I guess spring break starts on Wednesday now.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3/21 AS1071/373 IAD-SFO-SEA
MVPG75K
T fare, purchased 2/19
AS373 cleared ~T-30 hrs
AS1071 cleared T-40 min (GA paged me to podium just before she started boarding)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Date 23-March-19
Route PHX-SEA
Flight Number 633
Status 75K
Fare Class L

email at T-32.5 hours
Purchased 19-March-19

James in Phoenix
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
After 24 upgrades in a row to/from SFO since the first week of January, my record unsurprisingly ground to a halt on this morning's AS877, the 0940 departure OAK-LIH. First class had been sold out for weeks, so no surprise here, and only one seat in economy left for sale come departure time. Booked way back in December. Good news is that the upgrade for the return flight cleared 5 days out to the minute.

Gave up my row 7 window seat so a family could sit together. Gate agent moved me back to a window seat in row 9 which was just fine. Just over 6 hours gate to gate.

Tom in Waimea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.