Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/19 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/19 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Have any other FTers stopped posting in this thread because of SO few upgrades?!?! I havent seen upgrades so scarce since I was an MVP back in 2009. Its almost pathetic- to the point Ive stopped watching/hoping. U upgrade processor still worked, Alaska still selling upgrades from under us.... Its almost like Alaska is just GIVING away our status... oh, wait... it HAS.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Have any other FTers stopped posting in this thread because of SO few upgrades?!?! I havent seen upgrades so scarce since I was an MVP back in 2009. Its almost pathetic- to the point Ive stopped watching/hoping. U upgrade processor still worked, Alaska still selling upgrades from under us.... Its almost like Alaska is just GIVING away our status... oh, wait... it HAS.
I've been upgraded on every flight I've taken as 75K in 2019, including multiple Thursday/Sunday night transcons

Last edited by icelandman2; Apr 3, 2019 at 9:29 pm Reason: added quote
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I havent seen upgrades so scarce since I was an MVP back in 2009. Its almost pathetic- to the point Ive stopped watching/hoping.
I've cleared 27 of 28 this year to/from SFO, OAK or SMF, including a pair of flights to/from SEA this weekend. Get the sense we don't have a lot of top tier elite flyers in the Bay Area compared to what you might find in places like SEA, PDX or ANC. A few of those have been gate upgrades where I was #1 on the list. Really can't complain.

Could it be that there are more 75K flyers you're competing against as a Gold?
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Get the sense we don't have a lot of top tier elite flyers in the Bay Area compared to what you might find in places like SEA, PDX or ANC.
I get the idea that they are all flying UA or WN.

My friend even status matched to DL which I don't think is going to work out so well for him. I'm betting he matches to UA next year.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I've cleared 27 of 28 this year to/from SFO, OAK or SMF, including a pair of flights to/from SEA this weekend. Get the sense we don't have a lot of top tier elite flyers in the Bay Area compared to what you might find in places like SEA, PDX or ANC. A few of those have been gate upgrades where I was #1 on the list. Really can't complain.

Could it be that there are more 75K flyers you're competing against as a Gold?
My experience as well. From Seattle and go to school in the Bay. Back as MVPG, there was a huge difference in my upgrade rate ex-SFO and ex-SEA
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm on a variety of fairly *HIGH* fares, yet it never seems to be enough. I've even missed upgrades on Tuesdays SEA/SFO and SEA/LAX. *scratching head*

I don't think I've flown in F between SEA and ANC yet this year. Even in and out of Juneau where I used to be about 50-66%, I'm barely 25% for the year. Almost made a *Tuesday* FLL/LAX - had 6 open seats at T-24, 0 U... was #4 on the UG list.. yet somehow F dropped down to just 2. Friends in RM said they do NOT get last minute F, like ever, on FLL/LAX. So, I think we can blame the U upgrade processor not working and Alaska sold those upgrades to non-MVPs.

But anyway, I've pretty much just given up on the F cabin and NOT going after 75K. I just reach Gold and that's it so I have free changes & cancellations now.

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
14/16 year to date, 1 was a GGU. The two that wasn’t upgraded were on R fares.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
4/5/19
AS 1070
PDX-ORD
MVPG
K Fare
Purchased 3/9/19
22 on waitlist. I was never shown on waitlist so.... Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Instant PC upgrade. Packed plane with long standby list and email offer of $350 to take a later flight.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm 0/6 this year as an MVP (2 RT BUR-PDX, 1 LAX-BOS) as an MVP, where I scored about 75% of the time last year on similar flight patterns. I think this year has been negatively affected by flying holiday weekends and around spring break - IIRC, those were most of my misses last year. I got a slow start this year for various reasons (only ~3K miles going into April) but will requalify for MVP by May, and probably get the 8 California transcon flights to get early MVPG.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I would write in to customer care, though. To them it's not an IDB, but they will give you a customer care token of appreciation for your trouble...
Here’s my response from AS customer care...

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent flight from New York. ....
Unfortunately, our complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed. There are times when you have been awarded an upgrade and for reasons such as an aircraft swap as your flight experienced, you may lose that upgrade. Please accept our apology for that disappointment. Regrettably, your meal request was still on record although you were now seated in coach. We appreciate your outlook in this instance. I will be sharing your experience with our Food and Beverage department for their review.

Although our agent recommended you reach out for possible compensation, because these are complimentary upgrades, we do not provide compensation when upgrades can not be fulfilled, therefore I must respectfully decline your request.

We appreciate your loyalty to Alaska as a MVP Gold 75K. It is my hope that your future flights with us will reflect the high level of service you have come to expect when traveling with us. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Care Representative
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AS
I guess that AS is now totally focused on increasing revenue. Perhaps they feel like they already have your loyalty, as a 75, and do not need to provide you with a CS gesture.
But hey, "We appreciate your loyalty as a MVP Gold 75!"
I guess that was your CS gesture?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by jiburi

Here’s my response from AS customer care...

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent flight from New York. ....
Unfortunately, our complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed. There are times when you have been awarded an upgrade and for reasons such as an aircraft swap as your flight experienced, you may lose that upgrade. Please accept our apology for that disappointment. Regrettably, your meal request was still on record although you were now seated in coach. We appreciate your outlook in this instance. I will be sharing your experience with our Food and Beverage department for their review.

Although our agent recommended you reach out for possible compensation, because these are complimentary upgrades, we do not provide compensation when upgrades can not be fulfilled, therefore I must respectfully decline your request.

We appreciate your loyalty to Alaska as a MVP Gold 75K. It is my hope that your future flights with us will reflect the high level of service you have come to expect when traveling with us. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Care Representative
Ooof. I'd be steaming...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

4/7/19
AS 1072
ORD-PDX
MVPG
H Fare
Purchased 3/9/19
Number 3 of 21 on waitlist. Seat 1D inoperable so the odds were even worse on this Airbus. N854VA if you’re keeping score at home of inoperable F seats.

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
4/7 AS 655 DFW - PDX
G75
Was second on the list at boarding, but got a battlefield upgrade along with two others. It caused some confusion because they cleared other passengers into our seats and sent them onto the plane before they notified others of the upgrades. I’d been watching the app, so moved myself up, but boarding was held up for some time as two people argued over the same seat assignment before one of them realized they were upgraded
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
4/3 PDX-PHX 7p departure: UG @ 120 hr
4/5 LAX-OGG 820a departure: UG @ 120 hr, MVP companion UG @ 48 hour on an award ticket. Only 50 people on the plane. Made for a relaxed ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.