Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Wife earned MVP on Dec 23, wants free baggage allowance on Jan 3

Old Dec 27, 18, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).

FAQ says as a courtesy AS will start elite status 1-2 weeks later although officially it starts in the next calendar year.

In my case, will my wife get the baggage allowance or would you advise she call to ensure that is the case? She bought the ticket several months ago, before she earned MVP.

Obviously Jan 3 is in the new calendar year...
Old Dec 27, 18, 8:34 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
She should have no difficulty in getting the baggage allowance.
Just make sure that her account reflects her elite status by that time, and it will be automatic.
Old Dec 27, 18, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
huh? status privileges are effective when earned and last THROUGH the next calendar year

as Legend717 stated, check the website for Account Status in the next day or so (typically AS posts flight activity on Sat evening)
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
huh? status privileges are effective when earned and last THROUGH the next calendar year

as Legend717 stated, check the website for Account Status in the next day or so (typically AS posts flight activity on Sat evening)
That is not AS stated policy

When does my elite status take effect, and when does it expire?

Elite status qualification is earned for the next full calendar year after the status is reached. However, as a courtesy, your benefits will take effect within 1 - 2 weeks after the flight that earned you status. For example, if reach your 2017 MVPô MVPô Gold, or Gold 75K qualification in September of 2016, your status will take effect approximately 2 weeks later, and be valid through December 31, 2017.
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM, New Sagaya
Lately we've had reports of status updating on the website within 6 days. Sometimes a couple more days for status to be reflected on the reservation (e.g. first class waitlisting).
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: BonVoy Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by psychtobe View Post
That is not AS stated policy

When does my elite status take effect, and when does it expire?

Elite status qualification is earned for the next full calendar year after the status is reached. However, as a courtesy, your benefits will take effect within 1 - 2 weeks after the flight that earned you status. For example, if reach your 2017 MVPô MVPô Gold, or Gold 75K qualification in September of 2016, your status will take effect approximately 2 weeks later, and be valid through December 31, 2017.
Thatís essentially the same thing as jrl767 is saying. The two weeks referenced above is just AS CYAing itself that the status change isnít immediate and allowing up to two weeks for it to show up.

In practice, it should be much sooneró within a day or so of the flight posting. If the flight posts but your wifeís status hasnít updated by the flight date, just show the ticket agent the account screen (snapshot it before Jan 1 as the display will reset for the new year) and Iím sure theyíll waive the baggage fee. If the status changes, just show her MVP card in the app to the agent even if the reservation hasnít updated with her status.

If the flight doesnít post, just write in afterwards and request a refund. Remember if it doesnít post within 7 days (Dec 23 flight, so Dec 30), you can request mileage credit manually.
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks we've been traveling and dont have online access. Will check online when I get home.
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Email of new status received today. And that is automatically applied to existing reservations?

Thanks all
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Email of new status received today. And that is automatically applied to existing reservations?

Thanks all
Not necessarily, call res to confirm. If it hasn't auto-updated on the booking, ask the agent to remove the FF# and reapply it. It should refresh the booking w/the new status.
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:36 pm

Thanks all
It took 2-3 days for my status to update on reservation after getting the email. But follow the advice to call just to be sure!
Old Dec 28, 18, 5:06 pm

Thanks all
It should. I was in the same situation last month and had another flight ten days after the MVP-qualifying one. Their system might take more time to update the new status, even if it's already showing on your end. Look up your reservation and if you see "waitlisted for first class upgrade", then there should be no need to call.
Old Dec 28, 18, 11:54 pm

Not sure about the upgrade waitlist, but with regards to the free baggage allowance I believe since your wife will have status when checks in for her flight, she should see that checking 2 bags will be free.
Old Dec 29, 18, 12:13 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajasont View Post
Not sure about the upgrade waitlist, but with regards to the free baggage allowance I believe since your wife will have status when checks in for her flight, she should see that checking 2 bags will be free.
Unless I am mistaken. MVP gets 1 bag not 2 at No Charge. Just sayin
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:18 am

Old Dec 29, 18, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
Originally Posted by williwaw View Post

I stand corrected.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: