digEplayers, Is There Still the Need?

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
digEplayers, Is There Still the Need?

I travel with my Smart phone, a lap top and frequently an iPad. I NEVER take the digi player as there is the GoGo library of movies and TV shows for viewing that are the same titles. This is duplicative and unnecessary. There are chargers on the plane so risk of my devices low on charge are low. Whats the real need and value to the elite FF in getting this offered as complimentary. Ive spoken to many elite level FF and nearly 100% are savvy and experienced enough with travel to have there own devices.

I would much prefer and see as a true valued benefit complimentary GoGo WiFi access for 75K elites as opposed to the clunky Digi player. Who knows it might even decrease cost by decreasing the weight on the plane by not needing to bring as many, decrease hassle for FAs, decrease repair or replacement costs.

I realize GoGo is a separate contracted service provider but Im sure something could be worked out. Currently I pay the nearly $50 automatic billed monthly pass to access WiFi. I have no doubt that most 75K elites if not offered the Digi player has an alternative personal screen they could, and would prefer to use over a general use touch screen device used by many others. I dont have an unrational germ phobia but use reasonable precautions with hand hygiene and dont go out of my way. I just find the digi players as limited value i this current era of screen access nearly universal.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Mr. Fink and I take the digi player on every single flight. While I rarely use it as I don’t often watch movies, he watches one or two every time. But I still take one just in case and sometimes read the magazInes on it.

I have an ipad but it is packed away in my carryon. I never take it out unless I have internet, and no way would I watch anything on a phone. I can’t see it On our last flight, the new digis kept dying and they finally ran out of spares when Mr. Fink’s third one packed it in just as he was 2/3 through a movie. I pulled out the ipad but the same film wasn’t available on Beyond. So the digis have way more content as well.

So for us, the loss of the digis would be tragic.
spamman808 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The Digi has significantly less content than is available via the streaming system. I have also had issues with a lot of the digis not being charged. I can take them or leave them.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:28 am

People seem to still use them, atleast on all the flights I am on. If I was the only person who needed one and there weren't any, that would make for a negative flight experience. So, as long as people are still using them and its a revenue stream for Alaska, I am fine with it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Finkface
Mr. Fink and I take the digi player on every single flight. While I rarely use it as I dont often watch movies, he watches one or two every time. But I still take one just in case and sometimes read the magazInes on it.

I have an ipad but it is packed away in my carryon. I never take it out unless I have internet, and no way would I watch anything on a phone. I cant see it On our last flight, the new digis kept dying and they finally ran out of spares when Mr. Finks third one packed it in just as he was 2/3 through a movie. I pulled out the ipad but the same film wasnt available on Beyond. So the digis have way more content as well.

So for us, the loss of the digis would be tragic.
and for the rest of us, FT hyperbole reaches another all-time high
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jrl767

Lol! I actually thought that as I was typing it. My original sentence read ‘...and that would be a tragedy’ and even I thought that was a bit OTT. I toned it down, but not enough, I see.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I use them pretty much every time they are offered. I travel with a phone, and a large laptop. I don't want to buy another device "size appropriate" for movies, especially during meal services.

While it would not be tragic, it would not be my favo(u)red outcome. There - no high purr bow lee.
FlyingBear and spamman808 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have used them occasionally when in F, but I always travel with my iPad, so if they were eliminated, no big deal. Most of the time I read a book anyway.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
especially during meal services
Speaking of which, Im looking forward to the seat back tablet holders. It seems like the new faux wooden trays extend further to the sides with the curved lip, leaving barely any room for my stand.

I was a big fan of the digiplayers as I usually watched stuff on my smartphone (and often on short hauls without a player). After getting a tablet for Christmas, Im never going back. So much nicer to be able to start watching from the start of the flight to the end and being able to ignore the digiplayer scavenger hunt before descent now.
Xrayman likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I use them pretty much every time they are offered. I travel with a phone, and a large laptop. I don't want to buy another device "size appropriate" for movies, especially during meal services.

While it would not be tragic, it would not be my favo(u)red outcome. There - no high purr bow lee.
I find that it's more about resolution than screen size. Since I got my S9+ I'm fine watching movies on the phone (and my eyes are not that good) With a 2690x1440 display, though, it's a much better picture than any other device that I own (including my TV)

They should make the entire movie selection available over WiFi. I also think that they should provide free internet access for 75k, first class, and probably gold, but that's never going to happen -- AS is moving in the other direction.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I almost never take the player, I usually just read my Kindle, or play games on my iPhone. If I have to work, then it is just the company laptop. Sometimes my husband travels with me and he used to take it all the time, but lately he has been using one of our iPads with preloaded movies. So for us, it is not "a thing".
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Content is different on the digeplayer.

I miss them on the shorter routes already.

Plus it is a perk being removed from G75K travelers. We're not always on transcons. ANC-SEA is the perfect length to watch a flick.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I always use the Digiplayers when they are available....they are especially helpful when traveling with our young children since it's unrealistic to expect entire families to all carry-on movie-sized tablets.
spamman808 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Content is different on the digeplayer.

I miss them on the shorter routes already.

Plus it is a perk being removed from G75K travelers. We're not always on transcons. ANC-SEA is the perfect length to watch a flick.
And for those buying into the OP's rationale, the same analysis would go for food. Nearly 100% of frequent travelers are savvy and experienced enough with travel to bring their own food. Who knows it might even decrease cost by decreasing the weight on the plane. It is duplicative and unnecessary when you can easily bring your own food. Especially with a germ phobia, as the food would have been handled by others.

And there you have it. When a creature comfort goes away that many, even if not a majority, of travelers use and enjoy, it is not a good thing, even if others find it of little or no value.
3Cforme and BW Flyer like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jrl767

Originally Posted by rustykettel

After getting a tablet for Christmas, Im never going back. So much nicer to be able to start watching from the start of the flight to the end and being able to ignore the digiplayer scavenger hunt before descent now.
This...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.