digEplayers, Is There Still the Need?

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS
We have always enjoyed the Digi Players. content better than Beyond Entertainment on AS . We will really miss the RED system on pmVX Airbus in F. Was nice to have it playing and not take up tray table space. Easy to tuck away in armrest.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And for those buying into the OP's rationale, the same analysis would go for food. Nearly 100% of frequent travelers are savvy and experienced enough with travel to bring their own food.
This isn't making you bring your own food; it's making you bring your own plate. In a parallel universe where virtually everyone carries at least one plate of widely varying sizes at all times.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I used the digi players mainly because they had some newer movies not available on Alaska Beyond. Now, I’ve been pre-loading a couple of movies or series watching them or one from Alaska Beyond if they’ve updated the content.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Plus it is a perk being removed from G75K travelers. We're not always on transcons. ANC-SEA is the perfect length to watch a flick.
Wait, they're taking it away from us!??!?!?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I also think that they should provide free internet access for 75k, first class, and probably gold, but that's never going to happen -- AS is moving in the other direction.
This would be a good trade off for the loss of 75K digiplayer perk. And, that would probably be cheaper than the players, if and when they get Wi-Fi that actually works.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I prefer their devices instead of using mine. One less thing to remember at the end of a flight
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Me, I roll my own. But we're in a transitional stage. One day everyone will BYOD. In the meantime, there are lots of people who don't bring a tablet and want something. Alaska can raise revenue that way for a while longer.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by maradori
Wait, they're taking it away from us!??!?!?
Not from 75Ks. Its still a perk in coach. Just removed from a number of routes:

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I NEVER take the digi player as there is the GoGo library of movies and TV shows for viewing that are the same titles. This is duplicative and unnecessary.
Pretty much every elite benefit has value to some elites and no value to other elites. This one certainly fits in that category.

I would much prefer and see as a true valued benefit complimentary GoGo WiFi access for 75K elites as opposed to the clunky Digi player. Who knows it might even decrease cost by decreasing the weight on the plane by not needing to bring as many, decrease hassle for FAs, decrease repair or replacement costs.

I realize GoGo is a separate contracted service provider but Im sure something could be worked out. Currently I pay the nearly $50 automatic billed monthly pass to access WiFi.
Right there is why Internet access would be expensive to provide: it's lost revenue to someone (directly Gogo, and indirectly AS because Gogo pays to put the wifi on the plane which Alaska can then advertise, as I understand it). That's $50 that many 75Ks (or their employers) are willing to pay; I doubt many 75Ks (even moreso their employers) are willing to pay $50 a month (or the equivalent amount per flight) for digiplayers, so it's much cheaper (in terms of lost revenue opportunity) to offer digiplayers as a 75K benefit.

I have no doubt that most 75K elites if not offered the Digi player has an alternative personal screen they could,
This thread shows that that's not true. Many either a) don't have a tablet or b) like that the Digiplayer can easily hang out of the way while using the tray table space.

I dont have an unrational germ phobia but use reasonable precautions with hand hygiene and dont go out of my way.
There are many things where it's to each their own; I frankly think that any germ fear with respect to Digiplayers has absolutely no basis in fact.

I just find the digi players as limited value i this current era of screen access nearly universal.
That is totally fair for you. But screen access of an appropriate size for movies isn't really universal. When traveling with my family, there's one iPad for three of us, for example. If I were 75K, I would appreciate the extra player, and I do appreciate it on the rare occasions when we're up front and get it.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I would much prefer and see as a true valued benefit complimentary GoGo WiFi access for 75K elites as opposed to the clunky Digi player. Who knows it might even decrease cost by decreasing the weight on the plane by not needing to bring as many, decrease hassle for FAs, decrease repair or replacement costs.
Are you a MMer? If so, look for AS to hand you TWO free WiFi passes:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1946369-christmas-card-brad-tilden.html

Complementary wifi? Not going to happen.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
I enjoy having a digiplayer because it allows me to multitask. I can have a movie or music on in the background while Im writing emails or texting from my personal devices
lalala and Xrayman like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Do they censor language on the Digi players like the streaming media?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I always take the digiplayer, and use it on every flight that offers digiplayer. I usually travel with a laptop, cell phone, and an iPad, but using the digiplayer is way easier. My only complain is those players dies very fast, and need to be charging all the time. May be they are getting old.

Frankly I think one in-flight item that DL beats AS hands down is their seat back IFE system, which has a much bigger selection on movie and music, as well as a great flight status program.
Eastbay1K and rustykettel like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
My only complain is those players dies very fast, and need to be charging all the time. May be they are getting old.
I've never used the tablets, but several times I've noticed the person next me using one for 3 hours without plugging in.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Frankly I think one in-flight item that DL beats AS hands down is their seat back IFE system, which has a much bigger selection on movie and music, as well as a great flight status program.
DL wins among domestic carriers for their library, with UA behind them. It kind of amazes me that AS, with their international partnerships & codeshares, rarely offers international titles.

Originally Posted by ashill
There are many things where it's to each their own; I frankly think that any germ fear with respect to Digiplayers has absolutely no basis in fact.
I believe the digiplayers are cleaned, if not sanitized, between uses. There are plastic dividers in the trays to segregate used digiplayers from unused ones.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 25, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.