Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AS at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

AS has added six daily roundtrip flights from DAL, bringing the total daily departures to 19:

PDX 3x daily (+1)
SAN 2x daily (+1)
SEA 4x daily (+2)
SFO 4x daily (+1)
SJC 3x daily (+1)

This added flying begins on August 27, 2019
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
WHAT!?!?!?
LOL!
Well good for them. And a Christmas present (albeit for 2019!) for me.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Looks like a little bit of gate squatting to hold their territory at DAL, but great to see nonetheless.
krazykanuck and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Looks like a little bit of gate squatting to hold their territory at DAL, but great to see nonetheless.
19 daily departures doesn't seem like gate squatting to me. They only have two gates, so that's 9 or 10 flights per day, per gate.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

That was my thought, too. Ten or eleven daily operations per gate is about max usage, when you account for the unofficial 6A-10P departure "curfew." It's great to see AS fighting to keep its routes.

As an FT armchair route planner, the additional SFO flight makes the most sense and the third daily flight to PDX is the headscratcher. I'm also surprised that there is not a fourth frequency to LAX and the new flights start in August, rather than May or June.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 21, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Haha... they were dared by the city of Dallas to fully utilize their gates and BAM they do it... nice. I will enjoy those extra SEA flight times! Unfortunately, I have to wait until August?? I don't know if I will be flying there as much by then.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Haha... they were dared by the city of Dallas to fully utilize their gates and BAM they do it... nice. I will enjoy those extra SEA flight times! Unfortunately, I have to wait until August?? I don't know if I will be flying there as much by then.
Anyone have text describing the dare?

Good for AS and DAL... although wish there was some kind of lounge there- had a multi hour delay connecting this year.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa

Good for AS and DAL... although wish there was some kind of lounge there- had a multi hour delay connecting this year.
unless you’re MRing, connecting hasn’t been much of an issue for the last couple months since they schwacked the DAL-DCA/LGA flights
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As a more or less disinterested observer I have enjoyed watching all of these airlines squabble with each other and the City of Dallas over gates at DAL. Living in Houston, DAL is purely an O&D airport for me. It's fine enough as long as you don't have to spend much time there but it is way too crowded and busy at peak times.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:49 pm

Southwest to Dallas: Make Alaska Airlines share Love Field gates with Delta

A bit of history: The original deal for the 20 gates was WN got 16, UA got 2 and AA got 2. UA later allowed DL to use one its gates, then eventually subleased both gates to WN (which agreed to accommodate DL for six months), creating the current DL-WN conflict. The AA gates were subleased to VX as part of an antitrust settlement. AS inherited those gates in the VX merger.

wish there was some kind of lounge there
About nine months ago, I emailed both Priority Pass and the Aviation Department asking them to talk to each other about lounge options.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's fine enough as long as you don't have to spend much time there but it is way too crowded and busy at peak times.
Pro tip: Avoid the core and hang out at the concessions just past security or near either end.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I appreciate the additional flight out of SAN as someone who needs to get to Dallas occasionally, but it feels like quite a bit of capacity between the 2 cities.

Flights per day:
AA - 9 (!)
WN - 4 (honestly thought they had more frequencies)
AS - 2
NK - 1
McGowan06 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Was just at airport heading from Seattle to Orange County in C terminal on a horizon operated flight using an E75and the gate next to us was for a flight to DAL. It’s also a E75 leaving at 8:00 am. Seems to be little risk for AS to have Horizon operate a smaller added flight time. Needless to say it was full today December 22.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Woohoo! Great Christmas present for me!! I fly PDX-DAL almost every week (though I have a break until Feb). The flights are always pretty full (though I realize that does not translate to profitability). I've been praying for a third afternoon flight. I keep hoping PDX will be the beneficiary of route cuts at other stations.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jrl767

unless you’re MRing, connecting hasn’t been much of an issue for the last couple months since they schwacked the DAL-DCA/LGA flights
I connect almost all the time to AS using WN from West Texas, and not including MCI, DAL is perhaps my least favorite airport for connecting. Sometimes I us WN all the way, but usually I fly AS for the long route of PDX to DAL. I willingly take the risk of a misconnect, but I've been doing this nearly 2 years (almost every week) and so far I've been lucky, no misconnects (though I am sure it will happen at some point). As for lounges and crowds, DAL really is the worst. I so wish DAL had a lounge for quiet time, but lounges are not really part of the WN model. Usually the least crowded gate areas are the AS gates - that's where I sit, even when flying only WN. That's also where the airport workers sit on their breaks. They know about the lack of AS activity. Sounds like that's changing in the fall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.