FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS at Dallas Love Field (DAL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1947021-dallas-love-field-dal.html)

dayone Dec 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30576462)
11 and 13 are the Continental gates, while 15 and 17 are the American gates.
That’s how it was laid out in the initial artist’s renderings.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e800809881.jpg

EmailKid Dec 27, 2018 12:07 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30574927)
No. UA signed a lease for two gates while it was still operating in the old terminal. It subleased them to WN prior to the opening of the new terminal.

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30574927)

That may well be true, but UA did fly out of new terminal.

One of two flights that I booked ended up on AS, thanks to UA not having enough deicing fluid, and me hopping bus / Orange Line to DFW to fly AS to SEA, because UA was not going to be flying anytime soon.

Actually, no.
That said, I don’t know what bobOscar’s complaint with the old UA gates is at all. Yeah, it was definitely kinda ghetto, but as far as getting in and out, it was practically like flying to your own personal airport!

It had its own TSA checkpoint. And the largest plane there was a 50-seater, so the lines at TSA were reliably short and occupied by, predominantly, savvy business flyers.
To me, that deal was a dream that I miss severely, compared to joining the eight zillion Kettles at the new improved Southwest Airlines terminal.

Actually, no.

UA flew 76 seater CR7s to IAH. Ask me how I know ;)

Legend717 Dec 27, 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30576537)

I know that image is the reverse of what I stated in my reply, but it’s a later rendering that in the initial pressers from 2006.
at the tine decisions were initially made, CO and UA hadn’t merged.

Legend717 Dec 27, 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30576537)

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30577368)

That may well be true, but UA did fly out of new terminal.

One of two flights that I booked ended up on AS, thanks to UA not having enough deicing fluid, and me hopping bus / Orange Line to DFW to fly AS to SEA, because UA was not going to be flying anytime soon.

Actually, no.
That said, I don’t know what bobOscar’s complaint with the old UA gates is at all. Yeah, it was definitely kinda ghetto, but as far as getting in and out, it was practically like flying to your own personal airport!

It had its own TSA checkpoint. And the largest plane there was a 50-seater, so the lines at TSA were reliably short and occupied by, predominantly, savvy business flyers.
To me, that deal was a dream that I miss severely, compared to joining the eight zillion Kettles at the new improved Southwest Airlines terminal.

Actually, no.

UA flew 76 seater CR7s to IAH. Ask me how I know ;)

That’s true, come to think of it. And CO also did some Q400 flights as well.
But I stand by my statement- the dilapidated gates were a breeze to get into, and baggage claim was speedy as well!

EmailKid Dec 27, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30578168)

That’s true, come to think of it. And CO also did some Q400 flights as well.
But I stand by my statement- the dilapidated gates were a breeze to get into, and baggage claim was speedy as well!

The gates were IMHO in better shape than what WN used, and yes easy to get in and out.

Would not know about baggage - I was gone before it came out ;)

Toshbaf Dec 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Peterson4025 (Post 30569044)
Applaud for the additional services to SFO/SJC/SAN. :D. One can only hope that AS will add new routes to east coast.

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30569066)

huh? :confused:
AS just axed the east coast (DAL<—>DCA/LGA) routes they inherited from VX; WN has service to pretty much every east coast city from DAL ... where exactly are you hoping AS adds service?

AS could add service to cities with no WN competition. Examples:
DAL-EWR
DAL-ORD
DAL-MIA (but would have to open a new MIA station)
DAL-BDL (some risk and also Hartford is not currently an AS station)

Orwaid Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi -

I miss flying PDX-DFW-LGA and racking up those EQMs at .04 apiece.

EmailKid Dec 27, 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30580729)
DAL-EWR
DAL-ORD

Um, WN flies DAL-LGA/MDW/FLL - close enough for most, and actually preferred by many @:-)

And AS has made it plenty clear IMHO that they have no intention of flying EAST from DAL - that was a Virgin lousy idea. They won DAL when AA was forced to divest at DAL and could not figure out what tp do with it.

Toshbaf Dec 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30580793)
Um, WN flies DAL-LGA/MDW/FLL - close enough for most, and actually preferred by many @:-)

There are some that don't prefer MDW, LGA, or FLL.

Locals would know more but I think the ORD market over the MDW market is small. This includes those from Rockford and northern Chicago suburbs, like Niles.

EWR does have a big market that prefers EWR to LGA. Those from West Orange, Saddle River, Morristown, and much most of Northern New Jersey.

MIA does have a market that prefers MIA to FLL, mostly the city of Miami but not Broward County.

So, DAL-EWR seems like the biggest market of the three over competing airports that are served by WN. One problem is that only O&D would fly the route. Not many from SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, or SAN would want to fly to EWR via DAL.

Flying for Fun Dec 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30580808)
There are some that don't prefer MDW, LGA, or FLL.

Locals would know more but I think the ORD market over the MDW market is small. This includes those from Rockford and northern Chicago suburbs, like Niles.

EWR does have a big market that prefers EWR to LGA. Those from West Orange, Saddle River, Morristown, and much most of Northern New Jersey.

MIA does have a market that prefers MIA to FLL, mostly the city of Miami but not Broward County.

So, DAL-EWR seems like the biggest market of the three over competing airports that are served by WN. One problem is that only O&D would fly the route. Not many from SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, or SAN would want to fly to EWR via DAL.

My last SEA-BOS was via SAN! ;) Followed by a BOS-PSP via SEA & SF0 and 6 other segments! Yes there was a companion certificate involved. :) lol

James

jrl767 Dec 28, 2018 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30580847)
My last SEA-BOS was via SAN! ;) Followed by a BOS-PSP via SEA & SF0 and 6 other segments! Yes there was a companion certificate involved. :) lol

:rolleyes: we know, we know, we know

with all due respect, you and your travel patterns are nowhere near representative of either a typical business or leisure traveler, and AS can’t base their route selections and marketing strategies on an edge case

Flying for Fun Dec 28, 2018 3:35 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30580910)

:rolleyes: we know, we know, we know

with all due respect, you and your travel patterns are nowhere near representative of either a typical business or leisure traveler, and AS can’t base their route selections and marketing strategies on an edge case

I certainly can not disagree with you on that. ;)

James

dayone Dec 28, 2018 11:15 am

VX couldn't make eastern flights work. There is little hope of an AS resurrection.

If I were betting on additional DAL cities, and I'm not, I'd go with SNA and SMF.

wolfpacktrojan Dec 28, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30582285)
VX couldn't make eastern flights work. There is little hope of an AS resurrection.

If I were betting on additional DAL cities, and I'm not, I'd go with SNA and SMF.

I have a handful of colleagues that would appreciate a SNA-DAL flight on AS. I thought having one flight from PAE would be better than 3x PDX or 4x SEA, but I suppose PAE is maxed out.

eponymous_coward Dec 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30580729)
DAL-EWR
DAL-ORD

You may not be aware of some obscure airports like FLL, MDW and LGA, but I assure you that WN does indeed compete in the Dallas-Chicago, Dallas-New York and Dallas-Greater Miami markets.

Oh yeah, there is this other airline based in Dallas that has hubs in Miami, New York and Chicago. Damned if I can remember the name though. Can someone help me out?