Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Expanding at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Alaska Expanding at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Reply

Old Dec 22, 18, 12:22 pm
  #16  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,232
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Southwest to Dallas: Make Alaska Airlines share Love Field gates with Delta

A bit of history: The original deal for the 20 gates was WN got 16, UA got 2 and AA got 2. UA later allowed DL to use one its gates, then eventually subleased both gates to WN (which agreed to accommodate DL for six months), creating the current DL-WN conflict. The AA gates were subleased to VX as part of an antitrust settlement. AS inherited those gates in the VX merger.
No one has pointed out the fact that WN is trying to force AS to give up some of their gate space to DL. With the full on lovefest between AS and DL, it is less surprising to me that AS would rather add more flights than give up space to DL.

Bottom line, WN has the vast majority of gates and does not want to share.
BOB W is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 18, 8:55 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Big D
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 7
Applaud for the additional services to SFO/SJC/SAN. . One can only hope that AS will add new routes to east coast.
Peterson4025 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 18, 9:10 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,007
Originally Posted by Peterson4025 View Post
Applaud for the additional services to SFO/SJC/SAN. . One can only hope that AS will add new routes to east coast.
huh?
AS just axed the east coast (DAL<—>DCA/LGA) routes they inherited from VX; WN has service to pretty much every east coast city from DAL ... where exactly are you hoping AS adds service?
jinglish likes this.
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:57 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,793
DFW would be more helpful as it connects with AA.
channa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 7:01 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Posts: 1,665
Well, this may buy AS some time. But we'll see if these new flights actually fly... 8 months is a long time. AS could be out of DAL by then, just like LGA and DCA.

The question is, which is losing more money: DAL or the SFO/LAX transcons???
Tracer_SEA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 10:56 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mill Creek, WA & Dallas, TX
Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
Posts: 3,606
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Good for AS and DAL... although wish there was some kind of lounge there- had a multi hour delay connecting this year.
There is a lounge at Love Field... the Li'l Love Lounge

Last edited by dmodemd; Dec 25, 18 at 1:19 pm Reason: Remove triple post of image.
dmodemd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 1:37 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 40,889
As tempted as I was... I avoided that lounge
beckoa is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 1:47 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,018
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
As tempted as I was... I avoided that lounge
If you had only seen a panqueque machine ....
Eastbay1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 1:56 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AS, New Sagaya
Posts: 409
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
As tempted as I was... I avoided that lounge
Last time I was there the Priority Pass sign was out....
jjmadison and MJMLBBtoCPH like this.
williwaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 18, 4:14 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco/East Bay (formerly DC)
Programs: "loyal" to 787s, AA A321s, B6 Mint, E175 single seat FC, and anything going to BUR instead of LAX
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Puppis View Post
19 daily departures doesn't seem like gate squatting to me. They only have two gates, so that's 9 or 10 flights per day, per gate.
For comparison, WN has 10 daily departures/gate at DAL, one of the highest it its entire system. 20 flights a day in/out of a 16 hour period is full capacity if not a little over.
PotomacApproach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:29 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
For comparison, WN has 10 daily departures/gate at DAL, one of the highest it its entire system. 20 flights a day in/out of a 16 hour period is full capacity if not a little over.
If AS plans on flying an Embraer or Airbus (pre reconfig), this would be a smaller plane and thus less turn around time needed in theory. So it could be done, but doesn't leave much room for delay etc.
safari ari is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 18, 2:59 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Virgin America Elevate Gold (Founding Member)
Posts: 114
Props to them for actually expanding at DAL. I for sure thought they were going in the opposite direction so this is a pleasant surprise.
FluxTZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 18, 6:47 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Southwest to Dallas: Make Alaska Airlines share Love Field gates with Delta

A bit of history: The original deal for the 20 gates was WN got 16, UA got 2 and AA got 2. UA later allowed DL to use one its gates, then eventually subleased both gates to WN (which agreed to accommodate DL for six months), creating the current DL-WN conflict. The AA gates were subleased to VX as part of an antitrust settlement. AS inherited those gates in the VX merger.



About nine months ago, I emailed both Priority Pass and the Aviation Department asking them to talk to each other about lounge options.
Did United ever have any gates in the new terminal? The one time I flew UA in & out of DAL, they had one or two gates in the crappy old terminal. It was a pain to get to and from. I believe that DL was also flying out of there at that time. This was probably 4 or 5 years ago. Before UA left DAL did they ever get to fly out of the new terminal where WN is?
BobOscar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 18, 8:03 am
  #29  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,718
Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
Did United ever have any gates in the new terminal? The one time I flew UA in & out of DAL, they had one or two gates in the crappy old terminal. It was a pain to get to and from. I believe that DL was also flying out of there at that time. This was probably 4 or 5 years ago. Before UA left DAL did they ever get to fly out of the new terminal where WN is?
No. UA signed a lease for two gates while it was still operating in the old terminal. It subleased them to WN prior to the opening of the new terminal.

I've always wondered if 15 and 17 are the "UA gates"
dayone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 18, 4:32 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
No. UA signed a lease for two gates while it was still operating in the old terminal. It subleased them to WN prior to the opening of the new terminal.

I've always wondered if 15 and 17 are the "UA gates"
Actually, no.
11 and 13 are the Continental gates, while 15 and 17 are the American gates.
Thatís how it was laid out in the initial artistís renderings.

That said, I donít know what bobOscarís complaint with the old UA gates is at all. Yeah, it was definitely kinda ghetto, but as far as getting in and out, it was practically like flying to your own personal airport!
It had its own TSA checkpoint. And the largest plane there was a 50-seater, so the lines at TSA were reliably short and occupied by, predominantly, savvy business flyers.
To me, that deal was a dream that I miss severely, compared to joining the eight zillion Kettles at the new improved Southwest Airlines terminal.
Legend717 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread