Suggestions for AS to Regain Its Mojo

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I like the organization of your suggestions. Although, I don't understand how they are so focused on retaining legacy VX audience. Any examples that support this?
Agreed, theyre doing the opposite. Virgin wasnt a LCC, they differentiated themselves by offering extras.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Agreed, theyre doing the opposite. Virgin wasnt a LCC, they differentiated themselves by offering extras.
With a not-for-profit model!

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
With a not-for-profit model!

James
yep. If it was so profitable they wouldn't have been for sale.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BenA
- Make Guest Upgrades meaningful. These things should be a “I really don’t want to sit in coach” token you can spend 1-2 times in the program year, like a Delta Regional Upgrade is. My AS certs will expire mostly unused for the second year in a row, because the combination of an affordable buy up to an eligible fare and U inventory is basically nonexistent on many routes. I wish you could waitlist them and go to a priority gate queue; I’m fine with not confirming everything at booking all the time, but some sort of jump the line certificate is a valuable bonus.

- Baggage allowance. AS gets none of my work travel because of the Max 2 bags, Max 50 lbs rule. I could work with 3x50 or 2x70, but it’s ridiculous that even top tier elites don’t get a waiver here. Delta offers 3x70 to Diamond, and I pay them a nice fat premium for the dubious privilege of connecting in SLC when traveling with my tools as a result. I really would have liked to take the SEA-OKC direct this year, but the baggage allowance issue lost AS that business.
All of my upgrades are going to expire this year, and probably also next year’s.

I don’t really know how widespread the desire for 70 lbs steamer trunk is. I usuallly travel just with carry on bags, but on a couple of recent trips we decided to simplify our airport experience and check one large suitcase with stuff for both of us. It was 43 - 48 lbs. Seemed plenty for us, especially since we could have each had two of those if needed.

Maybe they could offer a choice of one 70 lbs bag or two 50 lbs bags for elites?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t really know how widespread the desire for 70 lbs steamer trunk is. I usuallly travel just with carry on bags, but on a couple of recent trips we decided to simplify our airport experience and check one large suitcase with stuff for both of us. It was 43 - 48 lbs. Seemed plenty for us, especially since we could have each had two of those if needed.
Even on a 3-week trip where I did no laundry, all my stuff fit easily in a single bag that was well under 50lb. I guess I understand if people are traveling with tools or equipment or something, but I don't see how the "average" traveler going on a vacation or work trip can make use of that much weight allowance.

I literally don't own 100lb of clothes.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
With Alaska's current release of U space, GGUs are worth less than the paper they're printed on... and they don't even print them.

I don't see the problem going away until they standardize FC across the airbus & Boeing fleet - as other's have speculated it seems like they are barely releasing any space due to fear of equipment swaps to an airbus.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Just let me use my freaking GGUs! I worked hard (and spent a lot of money) to get Gold and now I've got upgrades that I cannot use.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
With Alaska's current release of U space, GGUs are worth less than the paper they're printed on... and they don't even print them.

I don't see the problem going away until they standardize FC across the airbus & Boeing fleet - as other's have speculated it seems like they are barely releasing any space due to fear of equipment swaps to an airbus.
On paper or virtual we have successfully used all 26 of our GGUs this year. We are just back from KOA booked in October using 4 GGUs for immediate upgrades with U availability. Our last two GGUs were used on our connecting flight SAN-SEA with a quick call to AS when U opened up a month before departure.

I am seeing more U space in the new year.

James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Even on a 3-week trip where I did no laundry, all my stuff fit easily in a single bag that was well under 50lb. I guess I understand if people are traveling with tools or equipment or something, but I don't see how the "average" traveler going on a vacation or work trip can make use of that much weight allowance.

Correct - I managed to get married in a destination wedding *and* take a two week honeymoon in a different climate with 2x bags well under the 50lb limit. This is mostly a business traveler request - travel with a large number of tools, or heading to a convention with cargo of giveaways, equipment or booth displays. Sometimes I’m looking to bring home a case of wine from leisure travel, but AS has a special exemption in that case.

Alaska probably thinks they will just collect bag fees in this case, because people will just expense it. But competing airlines are more generous, and I am required to book the lowest logical fare factoring in all costs. If I occasionally book my preferred carrier at a higher price because of bag fee waivers, I’m obligated to also consider things in the other direction...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

- Baggage allowance. AS gets none of my work travel because of the Max 2 bags, Max 50 lbs rule. I could work with 3x50 or 2x70, but it’s ridiculous that even top tier elites don’t get a waiver here. Delta offers 3x70 to Diamond, and I pay them a nice fat premium for the dubious privilege of connecting in SLC when traveling with my tools as a result. I really would have liked to take the SEA-OKC direct this year, but the baggage allowance issue lost AS that business.
If you are active military the overweight baggage fee is waived for bags up to 70 pounds. It is also extended to dependants too so a family of 4 could check 20 bags at 70 pounds each fee free. Nearly three quarters of a ton.

James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This is mostly a business traveler request - travel with a large number of tools, or heading to a convention with cargo of giveaways, equipment or booth displays.
But the vast, vast majority of business travelers probably don't have that requirement on a regular basis. And if I worked for a company and had to transport stuff (vs. I am the company), the cost just gets expensed and I don't really make that a criteria for loyalty.

And of course there are people who want to use the airline as their U-Haul replacement when relocating across the country. Also not a case I (if I was AS) would necessarily consider for my loyalty program features.

So... not a "get your mojo back" item IMO.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On paper or virtual we have successfully used all 26 of our GGUs this year. We are just back from KOA booked in October using 4 GGUs for immediate upgrades with U availability. Our last two GGUs were used on our connecting flight SAN-SEA with a quick call to AS when U opened up a month before departure.

I am seeing more U space in the new year.

James
I agree...I rarely have an issue finding a use for GGU. Yeah, space on certain routes might be tough but by and large I have never not been able to use them.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Hey... that little food box in the commercial looks familiar! Pay toilets next?

Maybe AS needs to go back and watch their "Sky High" commercials from the 80's to remind themselves of what they didn't want to be?

Also, they were just awesome commercials
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:54 pm

I dunno, the actual experience is still better than AA and UA when you take into account the staff (phone, airport, in-flight) are still mostly pleasant, and reasonably empowered to help when needed. That said, this is my first and now only year as MVPG - I've made no effort to requalify, as ex-SFO I haven't been able to use a single GGU this year flying to PHL, EWR, MCO, WAS. This doesn't mean I won't fly Alaska, or even prefer them all things similar, but I also don't feel an incentive to be especially loyal.

My negatives for 2018 -
* GGUs difficult to use on longer flights
* Paid first class fares out of line with competitors
* Partner earnings have gotten weak (I fly EI SFO-DUB somewhat regularly, and am earning 50% EQM max)

My positives:
* Staff are top tier (other domestic airlines in that category IME are DL, B6)
* Wait times for elites of any kind at the airport or on the phone are very reasonable
* Those chocolate bars they keep giving me are delicious

At this point I just shop AS, B6 and DL, and pick on schedule, price (in that order). FWIW, I'm AS MVPG, DL Silver, B6 Nothing. I just don't really have an incentive to be loyal, maybe I just don't fly enough.
milypan, flatdawgs and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

The next time you are in Anchorage, go hang out in baggage for 20 minutes and see what many people travel with around Alaska. All sorts of gear - hunting, camping, etc. Then there are the coolers - oh my, the coolers. I feel like I'm the only person that uses coolers in the lower 48. I get up there and I actually need to make sure I have the correct cooler!

Lots of stuff gets transported that isn't clothes. I usually come back with fish in the summer from AK and MN. I can easily get over two 50 pound coolers. If I fly UA ANC direct in F, I can have 2x 70 pounders included (and that's without a bit of status). I think elites and F should have higher weight allowance s just like the airlines. But maybe that means our bags don't show up in 20 just like the other airlines...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.